+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Deferring study after ARRIVING in Canada

mattoo

Aug 13, 2017
Hi guys,
If I get my study permit visa for this September semester, and enter Canada now,
Can I defer my study to the next semester or year, while staying in Canada?

mattoo

Aug 13, 2017
You should be always enrolled and also you may go out of status in 90 days, cant work legally and may have problem in pgwp. Call cic for best decision
Thank you. So you mean CIC won't approve a deferral while staying in Canada?

gaba

Star Member
Feb 1, 2017
Hi guys,
If I get my study permit visa for this September semester, and enter Canada now,
If you can reach Canada before start of your study, why are you thinking of deferral?

mattoo

Aug 13, 2017
If you can reach Canada before start of your study, why are you thinking of deferral?
Because I have a better admission for the next year.
Actually what I am asking is to change to the new university in Fall 2018.

mattoo

Aug 13, 2017
i didnot mean any such thing in my comment. can you please point where I meant this?
You said, you should always be enrolled. So in my case, since differing to the next year results in staying in Canada without being enrolled for months, it counts as not being enrolled for a long period.

If CIC approve such deferral, it means I can stay there for almost a year before starting my study. And if not, I should postpone going to Canada to a few months before Sep 2018.

Hope this explains.
Thanks

Reactions: rajj_c

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You said, you should always be enrolled. So in my case, since differing to the next year results in staying in Canada without being enrolled for months, it counts as not being enrolled for a long period.

If CIC approve such deferral, it means I can stay there for almost a year before starting my study. And if not, I should postpone going to Canada to a few months before Sep 2018.

Hope this explains.
Thanks
You are required to be continuously pursuing your studies while in Canada. What you are proposing is a violation of your study permit and not something you can get approval for.

Reactions: rajj_c

IndianCanadian16

Star Member
Aug 10, 2017
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Hi guys,

One year is a very long time.

You have to change your status to a tourist visa by then.

Definitely, it is going to cause you a problem while applying for a work permit.

Reactions: mattoo

mattoo

Aug 13, 2017
You are required to be continuously pursuing your studies while in Canada. What you are proposing is a violation of your study permit and not something you can get approval for.
One year is a very long time.

You have to change your status to a tourist visa by then.

Definitely, it is going to cause you a problem while applying for a work permit.
That's why I asked about it. I just wanted to make sure that if study permit regulations allow a gap before starting the study.
So, I'll plan to get there at the begging of my study.
Thank you all.

sadikabid27

Apr 25, 2017
Just in the same situation as are you. Planning to go attend my program at Fall-18. Got visa for fall-17. What are you planning to do now? Is there a new visa needed for fall-18?

gurjit khatkar

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
But if it is valid till 2019 then you will have to extend your study permit and CIC might question you about not completing studies in 2019. What will you say then ? You might face some problems with PGWP

sadikabid27

Apr 25, 2017
But if it is valid till 2019 then you will have to extend your study permit and CIC might question you about not completing studies in 2019. What will you say then ? You might face some problems with PGWP
I will let them know first that, I want to start from fall-18 not from fall-17. It will be alright then. What do you say ?