+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Deferment of Studies

aisha171

May 24, 2018
Does anyone know if one is allowed to defer their studies a semester and arrive earlier in order to be able to claim refuge and complete the process and then study in the next intake? For example: If one applied for the fall intake and will arrive 2 days before the start of the semester and he/she are planning to claim refuge as soon as they arrive, so they don't want to waste the tuition they've paid and they want to study and since they can't study unless their case has been approved they defer their studies to the winter intake even if they'll be in Canada by September (the fall). Does Universities allow this?Is it legal to do so? or is it if you've already arrived in canada you must study and if you don't they'll forefeit the tuition?

Sorry if I have written too much. Please don't hesitate to help me with what you know.
Thank you :)

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
It's doubtful they would give you a deferment, but it's worth a try. So why wouldn't you just complete your studies, apply for a PGWP and then for your PR?

Reactions: aisha171

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Does anyone know if one is allowed to defer their studies a semester and arrive earlier in order to be able to claim refuge and complete the process and then study in the next intake? For example: If one applied for the fall intake and will arrive 2 days before the start of the semester and he/she are planning to claim refuge as soon as they arrive, so they don't want to waste the tuition they've paid and they want to study and since they can't study unless their case has been approved they defer their studies to the winter intake even if they'll be in Canada by September (the fall). Does Universities allow this?Is it legal to do so? or is it if you've already arrived in canada you must study and if you don't they'll forefeit the tuition?

Sorry if I have written too much. Please don't hesitate to help me with what you know.
Thank you :)
You won't have a hearing and be approved in just one semester. If you want to defer until a decision in your refugee application is made - you're looking at deferring by 1-2 years.

Reactions: Buletruck