+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Defer or start online in Fall2020.... confusion

Ajith_Parayil

Jun 8, 2018
I got my port of entry letter dated march 20th. Unfortunately I'm not eligible to travel as my study approval is after march 18th and entire first semester of my course is online.Now I'm in confusion whether I have to continue online study or to defer to Jan2021 intake. Which one will be better?

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
I got my port of entry letter dated march 20th. Unfortunately I'm not eligible to travel as my study approval is after march 18th and entire first semester of my course is online.Now I'm in confusion whether I have to continue online study or to defer to Jan2021 intake. Which one will be better?
Many students have chosen to do Fall 20 online. If winter 21 indeed does go online then IRCC may accomondate PGWP criteria if that is what you are worried about

Beasy

Jan 13, 2020
I defered to January because it is not a sure thing that IRCC will change the PGWP rules If we can not make it to Canada anytime soon.

Beasy

Jan 13, 2020
Many students have chosen to do Fall 20 online. If winter 21 indeed does go online then IRCC may accomondate PGWP criteria if that is what you are worried about
From my many email exchanges with IRCC they haven’t really given me any reasons to asume that they will change the rules and it is just a big gamble for many of us since some of us are doing a one year program also pay alot of money for it.

Reactions: GradStudent18

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
They are not saying anything about what will happen if we are FORCED to do more than 50% from home, due to their rule on online being non-essential.

I have a visa stamped before 18th March but still unable to travel as online is non-essential.

I have gone through so much to get admission in a top-ranked master's program, gave the GRE & scored in the 95th percentile and I'm going to do a very rigorous master's degree.

I can't afford to lose the PGWP eligibility after doing so much, just because online is non-essential. There's no difference between sitting in a hostel room in Canada and doing it online and sitting at home and doing it online. As the program is going to be as rigorous.

Why should we be discriminated with the 50% rule, since we can't travel only due to their non-essential regulations?

I heard that the Indian High Commission in the webinar told students to enroll in another program if the 50% limit is affected. Is enrolling in another program so easy and simple? Is our life a joke?

Last edited:

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
They are not saying anything about what will happen if we are FORCED to do more than 50% from home, due to their rule on online being non-essential.

I have a visa stamped before 18th March but still unable to travel as online is non-essential.

I have gone through so much to get admission in a top-ranked master's program, gave the GRE & scored in the 95th percentile and I'm going to do a very rigorous master's degree.

I can't afford to lose the PGWP eligibility after doing so much, just because online is non-essential. There's no difference between sitting in a hostel room in Canada and doing it online and sitting at home and doing it online. As the program is going to be as rigorous.

Why should we be discriminated with the 50% rule, since we can't travel only due to their non-essential regulations?

I heard that the Indian High Commission in the webinar told students to enroll in another program if the 50% limit is affected. Is enrolling in another program so easy and simple? Is our life a joke?
So if you're in Canada then the 50% online rule doesn't affect you?

visaaaa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2020
From my many email exchanges with IRCC they haven’t really given me any reasons to asume that they will change the rules and it is just a big gamble for many of us since some of us are doing a one year program also pay alot of money for it.
be careful if you are trying to get pr by doing a 1 year program beacuse when you do a 1 year program you get a 1 yeae pswp and to qualify for pr u need to do 1 year of full time work which is very hard with just 1 year pswp since you have to find a job and complete 1 year before filing for canada experience class

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
So if you're in Canada then the 50% online rule doesn't affect you?
That's right. For those within the country right now, they don't need to worry about PGWP eligibility at all irrespective of what happens to their studies. They still remain eligible just because they're already inside the country.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
That's right. For those within the country right now, they don't need to worry about PGWP eligibility at all irrespective of what happens to their studies. They still remain eligible just because they're already inside the country.
Nice, hopefully that's the case. The more and more things are progressing, my gut feeling tells me that Winter '21 will also be online

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Nice, hopefully that's the case. The more and more things are progressing, my gut feeling tells me that Winter '21 will also be online
That's not nice and hopefully that's not the case.

May IRCC rethink their policy on this and keep one law, one rule for all students, irrespective of whether they've been able to get inside or not.

Let students who've put in nerve-wracking efforts not be left in quandary, and let's not get such mocking comments from those who are not personally affected.

At least show some humanity during a pandemic to not exacerbate the anxiety and helplessness of those who're affected.

Reactions: Bond 007

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
That's not nice and hopefully that's not the case.

May IRCC rethink their policy on this and keep one law, one rule for all students, irrespective of whether they've been able to get inside or not.

Let students who've put in nerve-wracking efforts not be left in quandary, and let's not get such mocking comments from those who are not personally affected.

At least show some humanity during a pandemic to not exacerbate the anxiety and helplessness of those who're affected.
You misinterpret my words. I say it's nice that they will atleast offer PGWP for those in Canada. I hope those who are outside will be able to enter as soon as possible or be given another option for their work permit.

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
You misinterpret my words. I say it's nice that they will atleast offer PGWP for those in Canada. I hope those who are outside will be able to enter as soon as possible or be given another option for their work permit.
I'm sorry. Perhaps I overreacted due to extreme stress and anxiety. I apologise.

Thanks for the hopeful words.

Reactions: Bond 007