+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Defer and work

Jkel

Mar 16, 2018
Hi guys, pls I need your help.
I am about to apply to Brandon University and University of Winnipeg.If admitted as an international student, i wish to defer my admission to another year upon arrival to canada. Now my question is,when I have successfully deferred it,can I work for that one year pending when I go back to school. and does U of W and Brandon university allow international students defer their admissions

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi guys, pls I need your help.
I am about to apply to Brandon University and University of Winnipeg.If admitted as an international student, i wish to defer my admission to another year upon arrival to canada. Now my question is,when I have successfully deferred it,can I work for that one year pending when I go back to school. and does U of W and Brandon university allow international students defer their admissions
You cannot work in Canada before your course starts, to do so would be illegal and would affect everything that you might want to achieve later such as PR.

Harbinder47

Oct 25, 2018
Category........
So then ... we will have to reapply study permit in case of defer?? Like defering from Jan to September but arriving in Jan ....

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
So then ... we will have to reapply study permit in case of defer?? Like defering from Jan to September but arriving in Jan ....
If you arrive in January but don't start studying, you would be in violation of the conditions of your study permit and would not be allowed to work. You would need to change your status to visitor and then later apply for a study permit, which would have a much lower chance of approval.

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Also your study permit will be automatically cancelled by the IRCC when the university informs that you are not attending classes within 90 days so you would need to change your status to visitor first before reapplying for a study permit.