+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Declining Invitation Risk?

Durial321

Full Member
Jul 8, 2018
37
27
Hi guys!

I have one question, me and my Common-Law partner got an ITA last month. Deadline is Nov. 19 for that round.

We've been working non-stop to get the documents and to obtain the funds necessary (selling property and a car) but things have been a bit slow (banks releasing deeds to new owners etc) and seems it will still take a couple of weeks.

On top of that we are getting married Nov. 18 (this has been planned for over a year) since this date is too close, I was planning on just submitting as Common-Law and update later, which I'm afraid can cause delays.

Since we only have about 17 days left and lots to do. I was wondering if the best option would be to decline the invitation and get a new one so we have more time and just apply as married directly.

What I´m afraid of is the following:

1. Not receiving another ITA (CSR score 462)
2. Delaying the process a whole lot assuming my first invitation would be analyzed first as the ITA was on September instead of Oct/Nov. (Or will this not matter and the only thing that matters is how soon we send everything?)
3. My medical is tomorrow and I'm afraid that they link it to my current application?


Thank you so very much everyone for your help during this complicated process!
 

hope2018

Champion Member
Mar 14, 2018
1,251
547
Hi guys!

I have one question, me and my Common-Law partner got an ITA last month. Deadline is Nov. 19 for that round.

We've been working non-stop to get the documents and to obtain the funds necessary (selling property and a car) but things have been a bit slow (banks releasing deeds to new owners etc) and seems it will still take a couple of weeks.

On top of that we are getting married Nov. 18 (this has been planned for over a year) since this date is too close, I was planning on just submitting as Common-Law and update later, which I'm afraid can cause delays.

Since we only have about 17 days left and lots to do. I was wondering if the best option would be to decline the invitation and get a new one so we have more time and just apply as married directly.

What I´m afraid of is the following:

1. Not receiving another ITA (CSR score 462)
2. Delaying the process a whole lot assuming my first invitation would be analyzed first as the ITA was on September instead of Oct/Nov. (Or will this not matter and the only thing that matters is how soon we send everything?)
3. My medical is tomorrow and I'm afraid that they link it to my current application?


Thank you so very much everyone for your help during this complicated process!
1. Without getting into merits of your case, declining an ITA is only a risk if your not sure to get ITA in next round of invitations, if you have a high score and feel you are bound to get ITA regardless of cut off then it is quite safe to decline. And seeing your score, you should get ITA next time there is a draw.
2. Your countdown always starts from your e-apr date and not when you initially got ITA which you rejected. So ofcourse some delay is inevitable.
3. Upfront medicals are not linked to application. You can use it later on. Only think to keep in mind is they are valid for an year only.
 

Durial321

Full Member
Jul 8, 2018
37
27
1. Without getting into merits of your case, declining an ITA is only a risk if your not sure to get ITA in next round of invitations, if you have a high score and feel you are bound to get ITA regardless of cut off then it is quite safe to decline. And seeing your score, you should get ITA next time there is a draw.
2. Your countdown always starts from your e-apr date and not when you initially got ITA which you rejected. So ofcourse some delay is inevitable.
3. Upfront medicals are not linked to application. You can use it later on. Only think to keep in mind is they are valid for an year only.
Thank you for your answer. I'll think about it today but I will probably decline it and apply again this weekend in order to enter next weeks draw. I hope all goes well.

One other thing that has me thinking is applying lets say, tomorrow, as married when in fact I'm still not. I will how ever be when I send my docs to get e-apr.