+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Declining Invitation Dilemma

savary_org

Jul 2, 2017
Hi Guys,

I really need your help whether to reject the invitation or accept it ! I got the invitation in May and my score was 435. I realized I made a mistake in entering my experience. I entered the experience from Feb-2013 to Jan-2017 instead of Jan-2016

The proof of experience I have is from 2/2/2013 to 17/1/2016. I'm not sure if this would count as 3 years since I didn't continue till the end of the last month. If, for one reason or another, the number of years is calculated as 2 not 3, I will lose 25 points which will put me out of the pool (minimum intake was 413 and in that case I will be 410)

My questions are:
1. The experience from 2/2/2013 to 17/1/2016 is equivalent to 3 years or 2 years?
2. Is it better to decline the invitation and reapply with such score (435 or 410 but keeping in mind that I will gain 15 points under the new modifications because I have a sibling in Canada)? Or to mention the mistake in the LOE and apply?

Many thanks for your help!

valorbeat

Jul 1, 2017
Hi Guys,

I really need your help whether to reject the invitation or accept it ! I got the invitation in May and my score was 435. I realized I made a mistake in entering my experience. I entered the experience from Feb-2013 to Jan-2017 instead of Jan-2016

The proof of experience I have is from 2/2/2013 to 17/1/2016. I'm not sure if this would count as 3 years since I didn't continue till the end of the last month. If, for one reason or another, the number of years is calculated as 2 not 3, I will lose 25 points which will put me out of the pool (minimum intake was 413 and in that case I will be 410)

My questions are:
1. The experience from 2/2/2013 to 17/1/2016 is equivalent to 3 years or 2 years?
2. Is it better to decline the invitation and reapply with such score (435 or 410 but keeping in mind that I will gain 15 points under the new modifications because I have a sibling in Canada)? Or to mention the mistake in the LOE and apply?

Many thanks for your help!
It's a tough situation. Being a newbie, I can't confidently suggest a course a action. However, I can share some information.

1. Regarding point no. 1, in reference to this link, IRCC counts 30 hours/week as full-time work.

According to IRCC's formula, 1 year full time @ 30 hours/week = 1560 hours which is 52 weeks. By this logic [personal logic, nothing to do with IRCC], if you worked more than 30 hours/week, let's assume 40 hours/week, then you would have gained 1560 hours of work in just 39 weeks.

But then again, this is my own logic and may mean nothing to IRCC, and given that you may write a letter of explanation (LoE) to clear up a mistake, I assess there is simply too much a stake to take all those chances. You maybe risking too much (rejection or ban), primarily because your score is changing after correction.

2. Given the above explanation, I personally feel it may be risky to proceed as it is.

I hope it was helpful!

Last edited:
Reactions: savary_org

savary_org

Jul 2, 2017
It's a tough situation. Being a newbie, I can't confidently suggest a course a action. However, I can share some information.

1. Regarding point no. 1, in reference to this link, IRCC counts 30 hours/week as full-time work. Now if your experience letter states specifically the hours/week (say 40 hours/week), this may give you an edge.

According to IRCC's formula, 1 year full time @ 30 hours/week = 1560 hours which is 52 weeks. By this logic, if your worked more than 30 hours/week, let's assume 40 hours/week, then you would have gained 1560 hours of work in just 39 weeks. So again, by this logic, you should be fine given you worked 40 hours / week.

But then again, this logic may mean nothing to IRCC, and given that you may write a letter of explanation (LoE) to clear up a mistake, I assess there is simply too much a stake to take all those chances. You maybe risking too much (rejection or ban), primarily because your score is changing after correction.

2. Given the above explanation, I personally feel it may be risky to proceed as it is.

I hope it was helpful!
Thanks Valorbeat. I didn't know about the hours calculations. The certificate of experience I got states 40 hours per week. I will be waiting for others' contributions so I can take a decision ASAP. Never thought such a mistake would cause so much hustle.
I've looked at the 22nd June intake and the minimum was 449. It doesn't look like it will drop below 425 in the near future so the stakes are high in both cases.
valorbeat

SFKAS

Jul 27, 2014
Your experience is 2 years.

Its better to decline and wait for the next round.

Right now its all in your hands. If you apply then its beyond your control not to mention the constant worry you'll have of getting rejected.

You'll definitely get it in the next round specially with sibling points.

Make sure you fill out your profile carefully and accurately.

Reactions: savary_org

uppperkut

Jan 28, 2017
Somewhere in ON
More hours do not translate into more years of experience.

It's not a small mistake to mention in the LOE and get away with. Definitely decline the invite.

samuelja

Star Member
Nov 22, 2015
Everyone, please understand that when IRCC says 1-year of Experience they mean that you need to be employed for 1-year continuous (30-hours/week minimum till whatever hours/week maximum). Now let me make this more clear, if you work for 60-hours/week, this DOES NOT mean that you worked for 2 weeks when in reality you only worked for 1 week.

People have this false notion that if they work for 60-hours/week for 6 months it will be considered as 1-year since IRCC said that 30-hours/week is the requirement. Humble request to all, please analyse properly what the IRCC requires of a potential EE applicant.

This has already been spoken about in the forum to its fullest length and breadth, but even then sadly people do not understand the logic. All the very best.

Please find the EE-FSW Stream requirements below:-
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp

Reactions: valorbeat

valorbeat

Jul 1, 2017
Everyone, please understand that when IRCC says 1-year of Experience they mean that you need to be employed for 1-year continuous (30-hours/week minimum till whatever hours/week maximum). Now let me make this more clear, if you work for 60-hours/week, this DOES NOT mean that you worked for 2 weeks when in reality you only worked for 1 week.

People have this false notion that if they work for 60-hours/week for 6 months it will be considered as 1-year since IRCC said that 30-hours/week is the requirement. Humble request to all, please analyse properly what the IRCC requires of a potential EE applicant.

This has already been spoken about in the forum to its fullest length and breadth, but even then sadly people do not understand the logic. All the very best.

Please find the EE-FSW Stream requirements below:-
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp
I stand corrected, and agree with samuelja. My above explanation was purely my own logic, based on assumption. I've editted my post to avoid misguidance.

4RyL

Jun 6, 2017
Your experience will e counted as 3 years. EE only record month and year. Do not worry. Proceed!

4RyL

Jun 6, 2017
Once you entered the correct month and year into the system, it will be calculated. You have to enter the correct year and month...thats your job. For the mistake, just decline the ITA, re-enter the pool and you will have an ITA in the next draw.

X

xibalban

I wish to take this opportunity to request everyone to not waste an ITA. There are people, with honest, bullet-proof and impeccable profiles, waiting for an ITA for more than 2 years and have not received an ITA yet. And there are others who have filled in incorrect information, and gotten an ITA, only to realise that it must be declined.

You are not only wasting an ITA, you are also taking away the hope of a potential (right) candidate who has been waiting for so long. Someone more deserving could easily have received that ITA which you have now discarded.

PS: Mistakes happen, I know. But, your mistakes have far reaching consequences, so as much as possible try to avoid them. Take your time, do not hurry!!

Reactions: uppperkut

Arod

May 15, 2017
I wish to take this opportunity to request everyone to not waste an ITA. There are people, with honest, bullet-proof and impeccable profiles, waiting for an ITA for more than 2 years and have not received an ITA yet. And there are others who have filled in incorrect information, and gotten an ITA, only to realise that it must be declined.

You are not only wasting an ITA, you are also taking away the hope of a potential (right) candidate who has been waiting for so long. Someone more deserving could easily have received that ITA which you have now discarded.

PS: Mistakes happen, I know. But, your mistakes have far reaching consequences, so as much as possible try to avoid them. Take your time, do not hurry!!
Agreed.

Perhaps if Canada started punishing careless people who decline ITA´s applicants would start paying more attention to their EE profiles before submission.