+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Declined an Invitation

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
The decline of this ITA is reasonable. If your work experience is less than 1 year upon ITA then you are not meeting MEC of CEC and thus will be rejected anyway even if you submit documents after you fulfilled one year experience. MEC should be met on both ITA and e-APR date, according to IRCC guidelines. This is a system glitch but it won't be a factor of IRCC officer to consider. It is very unfortunate to have general draw resumed right after your decline of ITA but keep your hope and keep getting documents ready. Best wishes.
This is completely untrue.

Just goes to show people are giving advice without actually know what occurs in practice.

Reactions: askele and scylla

shomaro

Jan 6, 2020
This is completely untrue.

Just goes to show people are giving advice without actually know what occurs in practice.
See if you read the following words here, it's IRCC official guidelines.

Under section A11.2, an officer may not issue a visa to an applicant who did not or does not meet the Express Entry minimum entry criteria (MEC) or did not or does not possess the qualifications for which they received their CRS score at the time when

• the invitation to apply (ITA) was issued; or
  • the e-APR was received by IRCC.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/assessing-electronic-application-on-section-a11-2.html

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
IRCC have clarified multiple times that the system counts only by month, and so this is why many people receive ITAs before they have exactly 1, 2, 3, etc years of experience, when the time period is in days and fewer than a month.

All the applicant needs to do is submit their eAPR after the number of days missing and their application will be accepted.

Declining an ITA when you have a very high score is something you can do, if you want to be very, very cautious knowing that you will get another ITA in the next draw. However, for someone in OP's position, this was a major mistake. Even in practice, a high scoring candidate should not give up an ITA in this position because it is essentially a waste of an ITA, IRCC will just use the same logic when assessing their work experience. There are countless examples of people here who have been in this position, submitted their eAPR and have received their PR.

It's done and she can bounce back from it, there's no point lamenting a past mistake. But it's important to understand it was a mistake.

We don't want other people doing the same thing, especially when they don't know if they will get another ITA.

Last edited:
Reactions: vishvajeet

indianstudent96

May 22, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-06-2020
Doc's Request.
18-08-2020
AOR Received.
27-06-2020
Med's Done....
16-04-2020
I am curious to know the language scores of the OP. If she has a lot of room to improve, hope is not lost yet.

If she has not achieved CLB 9 yet, she has a very good chance of getting her CRS score to 470s.

I am a classic example of this. I would have had 435 if I had CLB 8, but I ended up getting scores higher than CLB 10 in my language test and my score was 479 when I entered the pool.

Until a candidate maxes out their language scores, they should not give up.

Reactions: LaFontaine

shomaro

Jan 6, 2020
IRCC have clarified multiple times that the system counts only by month, and so this is why many people receive ITAs before they have exactly 1, 2, 3, etc years of experience, when the time period is in days and fewer than a month.

All the applicant needs to do is submit their eAPR after the number of days missing and their application will be accepted.

Declining an ITA when you have a very high score is something you can do, if you want to be very, very cautious knowing that you will get another ITA in the next draw. However, for someone in OP's position, this was a major mistake. Even in practice, a high scoring candidate should not give up an ITA in this position because it is essentially a waste of an ITA, IRCC will just use the same logic when assessing their work experience. There are countless examples of people here who have been in this position, submitted their eAPR and have received their PR.

It's done and she can bounce back from it, there's no point lamenting a past mistake. But it's important to understand it was a mistake.

We don't want other people doing the same thing, especially when they don't know if they will get another ITA.

What you said is true for the cases that are already > 1 yr, such as a few weeks less than 2yrs, 3yrs, etc. because the MEC has been met anyway. But for several weeks less than 1 year, this is totally another story. I had consulted many immigration lawyers for this issue and ALL of them told me that an application that is less than one-year experience upon ITA will definitely be refused. They told me these based on the cases that they processed in the past. The Twitter reply from IRCC is somehow misleading because it is not applying to all cases. Technical glitch is NOT a factor for consideration during processing, MEC is.

Patiently_pr

Mar 14, 2020

For the sake of many and peace of mind, it would be nice if IRCC could update their official website to make it clear whether this is acceptable or not.

I've seen many persons saying they know of people being rejected but have never actually seen anyone posted that they themselves got rejected because of this.

It would be save a lot of ITAs being wasted for those who have declined for this reason and someone else could have benefited from that lost position.

Reactions: Islander216

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
For the sake of many and peace of mind, it would be nice if IRCC could update their official website to make it clear whether this is acceptable or not.

I've seen many persons saying they know of people being rejected but have never actually seen anyone posted that they themselves got rejected because of this.

It would be save a lot of ITAs being wasted for those who have declined for this reason and someone else could have benefited from that lost position.
I agree completely with you.

They have stated this on twitter, but i feel like it should be done in a more official capacity on the website itself. I think the reason they don't do this is because it is tacitly allowed due to the way the system functions, but they don't want to make it part of their official procedures.

There is talk of a lot of IT aspects of IRCC being upgraded soon, so hopefully this will not be an issue in the future.

But the key thing to remember is simply this:

IRCC calculate work experience on the basis of months.

If for example your references mention specific dates for starting and leaving, then look at it in terms of days, and just add on whatever you are missing in terms of days of weeks to your time period post-ITA before you submit your eAPR.

I wish OP had come and asked us on the forum first before declining her ITA. I know many people who have gotten PR in the same situation. IRCC will not penalize a candidate based on the system.

Last edited:
Reactions: vishvajeet

Patiently_pr

Mar 14, 2020

They have stated this on twitter, but i feel like it should be done in a more official capacity on the website itself. I think the reason they don't do thins is because it is tacitly allowed due to the way the system functions, but they don't want to make it part of their official procedures.

There is talk of a lot of IT aspects of IRCC being upgraded soon, so hopefully this will not be an issue in the future.

If for example your references mention specific dates for starting and leaving, then look at it in terms of days, and just add on whatever you are missing in terms of days of weeks to your time period post-ITA before you submit your eAPR.

I wish OP had come and asked us on the forum first before declining her ITA. I know many people who have gotten PR in the same situation.

Sure there are many who have gotten PR in this case. But then again, people always say it is at the "discretion of the officer" or "an oversight" by the officer.

Whatever it is, I would love for this to just not be an issue because of the potential headache it can brings.

Reactions: Islander216

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019

They have stated this on twitter, but i feel like it should be done in a more official capacity on the website itself. I think the reason they don't do this is because it is tacitly allowed due to the way the system functions, but they don't want to make it part of their official procedures.

I wish OP had come and asked us on the forum first before declining her ITA. I know many people who have gotten PR in the same situation. IRCC will not penalize a candidate based on the system.
Completely agree, it is clear at this point that this is not a website "glitch" but because of the way it calculates in the basis of months.

I think we can all agree that the only thing we should NOT do is send eAPR BEFORE the actual 1 year if ITA is received before... Maybe that's what happened to the cases that got rejected.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Yes, my sense is they either sent the eAPR too soon, or they weren't working at the time, so could not count the additional time post-ITA towards their work experience.

That's particularly important in the case of CEC candidates, because for example you can't cover the requirement with foreign work experience, it has to be 1 year of Canadian work experience to meet the criteria for CEC.

So there are such variables you have to factor into the equation.

dsthapak

Star Member
Apr 20, 2019
just somebody please let me know if I improved my score will I receive an iTA again or not..?????

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
No one knows, depends on how high you can improve your score. If your score is 470+ you're in good shape to receive another ITA in an all program draw, when cut-off scores start to drop a bit as is expected.

Jun 28, 2020
No one knows, depends on how high you can improve your score. If your score is 470+ you're in good shape to receive another ITA in an all program draw, when cut-off scores start to drop a bit as is expected.
Hey..its not like I wasted dere ita dey won't give me again..right?????

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
No, you will receive another ITA if your score is at (tie-breaking rule permitting) or above the cut-off score for another draw.

You aren't barred from receiving an ITA in future rounds if you decline one.

Jun 28, 2020
No, you will receive another ITA if your score is at (tie-breaking rule permitting) or above the cut-off score for another draw.

You aren't barred from receiving an ITA in future rounds if you decline one.
Thank u so much!!
I dont know what I did was right or wrong..but i wasn't happy when I receive the iTA..but i feel sad now knowing somebody else could have gotten it..