+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Decline in Citizenship Applications Due to Higher Fees?

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
links18 said:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-citizenship-applications-decrease-1.3976140
I don't believe it was only due to increased fees. It compares the first nine months of 2016 to the first nine months of 2015. Now there was a "run" for applications to be submitted before June 2015 when the new 4/6 rule came into effect which increased the application numbers.
In addition many applicants were now not eligible under the 4/6 rule and could not apply for another year or two.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Even then, it sure is a lot of money to pay per application ($630).
A lot of low-income families would struggle to pay this, even if using credit cards

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
canvis2006 said:
A lot of low-income families would struggle to pay this, even if using credit cards
This news article is basically repeated again. This was discussed last year. I guess CBC got nothing better to do than reprint the same "toronto star" article again.

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canvis2006 said:
I am not saying it is not a lot of money, especially for families. But I do have an issue with CBC seemingly picking what they want to report out of a whole story and thus misleading readers.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Rigly68 said:
I am not saying it is not a lot of money, especially for families. But I do have an issue with CBC seemingly picking what they want to report out of a whole story and thus misleading readers.
Especially when it is the least contributing factor for the decline when compared with other reasons such as the 4/6 rule , pre-PR credit, language requirement....

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
links18 said:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-citizenship-applications-decrease-1.3976140
reading the comments under that article -- it seems Canada is not as welcoming to immigrants as people thought, especially considering CBC is supposed be mainly visited by liberal readers.

Just a section I randomly picked
Ted Bunce

GOOD
There are enough out of work Canadians who should be looked after first.

11 hours ago

Nahla Youssaf
Flag

Nahla Youssaf

Thats OK, they can claim Refugee status

Marco Dellorusso
Flag

Marco Dellorusso

Well at least the Liberals are doing something right... Keep the cost up, the last thing we need is to make it even easier for immigrants to flood this country.

Michael Smith
Flag

Michael Smith

It must be Justin's Carbon Tax.

Barry Todd
Flag

Barry Todd

A Canadian citizenship is worth 100 x more then it costs and that's still a bargain to live in a truly democratic country like Canada......You can't put a price on freedom.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

canvis2006 said:
1. Check out the US $680, United Kingdom £1248

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
itsmyid said:
reading the comments under that article -- it seems Canada is not as welcoming to immigrants as people thought, especially considering CBC is supposed be mainly visited by liberal readers.

Just a section I randomly picked
Ted Bunce

GOOD
There are enough out of work Canadians who should be looked after first.

11 hours ago

Nahla Youssaf
Flag

Nahla Youssaf

Thats OK, they can claim Refugee status

Marco Dellorusso
Flag

Marco Dellorusso

Well at least the Liberals are doing something right... Keep the cost up, the last thing we need is to make it even easier for immigrants to flood this country.

Michael Smith
Flag

Michael Smith

It must be Justin's Carbon Tax.

Barry Todd
Flag

Barry Todd

A Canadian citizenship is worth 100 x more then it costs and that's still a bargain to live in a truly democratic country like Canada......You can't put a price on freedom.
The "Everyone is welcome, nobody is illegal, we shouldn't even have borders" people are probably less likely to post comments.