+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Declaring new, unused goods when landing

Danaan

Star Member
Jan 23, 2017
Virginia, USA
App. Filed.......
15-05-2017
I have a question about declaring goods that don't qualify as having been "owned, possessed and used" and therefore duty free under the settler's exemption. We will have some items purchased in the US shortly before landing, and while they qualify as owned they will be in original packaging and unused so I assume I need to declare them separately from my goods to accompany list, is this correct? Is there a different form for this purpose, or can I just give customs a list of items with attached receipts?

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
I think your idea with the list and receipts is a good approach, as that is what they would ask for if you need to declare them. You can be upfront with the officer(s) and just ask. They can help you fill out any declaration forms if needed.

Depending on how much stuff it is, you may be fine just bringing your new items in with the rest of your things, as they don't often check or care much. The officers are pretty understanding and I suspect they would let you bring your recently purchased items in regardless, provided it is not excessive or a blatant attempt to resell items in Canada.

There's also an $800 exemption for travelers "returning to Canada" after more than 48hrs (see here), so you could potentially argue your items fall into this category if they are under that threshold.

Just thoughts. :)

Reactions: Danaan