Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
DM on ECAS: 14-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
COPR rec'd 04-02-2017
Will be bringing small jewelry (necklaces and pendents) and an expensive watch at landing. Can anyone share their experience? Must I have their values evaluated by a professional?

Their values of the small jewelry are really not high (less than C$500 each) so I don't think it's worth the money to have them evaluated professionally. But what if the officer is being strict on it, what can he do if he's not satisfied?

For the watch, it's a gift so I don't have the receipt. I can find the same model selling online, do you think it's okay to print that page and show to the officer if requested to show proof of value? I am a returning citizen so has a C$10k cap on things I can bring back, the watch is of course under that (per the online ad).

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
If it is not a lot of jewellery and watch i.e. one person can normally wear it on occasion, you may just wear it and bring along.

As you said, its not expensive so shouldn't be considered by even a strict visa officer. To counter the strictness you can just wear it instead of carrying along. They would rarely question some thing you are actually using.

Remember, the whole point of customs is to ensure you are not bringing stuff of business value here. There is some consideration for personal items over all.

Personal experience, we had some jewelery worth around 6-7k CAD upon landing and we brought professional assessed receipts but no body asked for them. All they asked was cash, total amount and how much new items we are bringing in and what are those items. As long as they look reasonable for a family's personal use you are good

wyho007

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-2016
Doc's Request.
08-06-2016
AOR Received.
07-05-2016
File Transfer...
30-05-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
DM on ECAS: 14-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
COPR rec'd 04-02-2017
Thank you for the input! I have a sense of relieve now.

How about for visitors? I'll be entering as a returning citizen but my wife will be entering as a visitor (she is 9th month into the PR spousal application process but may not be approved yet), travelling together. The expensive watch I have is a wedding gift and she has one too. When entering as a visitor, can she bring it? If so, should she declare it to customs? I will make sure she won't bring over C$10k limit and bring limited personal belongings and other documents to proof she's only visiting.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
wyho007 said:
Thank you for the input! I have a sense of relieve now.

How about for visitors? I'll be entering as a returning citizen but my wife will be entering as a visitor (she is 9th month into the PR spousal application process but may not be approved yet), travelling together. The expensive watch I have is a wedding gift and she has one too. When entering as a visitor, can she bring it? If so, should she declare it to customs? I will make sure she won't bring over C$10k limit and bring limited personal belongings and other documents to proof she's only visiting.
Its the same for visitors. The type of immigration visa isn't really relevant to customs EXCEPT when you are providing "goods to follow list or declaring all your personal belongings that you are bringing upon becoming a PR"