+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Declaring common law partner for CEC

DannyG

Aug 26, 2012
Hi

1 quick question - will there be a problem if in our previous visa applications, work permit applications etc we did not declare ourselves as common law partners? And now we would be applying together under CEC as common law partners.

The thing is, back in those days, even though we had been together for quite a while, we did not think of ourselves as a common law partner. Although we were in a serious relationship, there was a boundary, you know, as to declaring ourselves together, something like saying "we are married." A bit uncomfortable if you know what I mean.

Bottom line is, now we would be applying as common law partners, do you think there will be a problem if somehow the visa officers look into our previous visa/permit/etc applications?

thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hmmm...

That could be a problem since you will be contradicting yourselves which has the potential to lead to charges of misrepresentation. When was the last time one of you declared yourself as single in an application/visa renewal?

ujbaby

Champion Member
May 21, 2011
toronto,on
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/08/2012. Sydney received on 17/08/12
AOR Received.
september 8th 2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
Aug-07-2013
Med's Done....
Aug-22-2013, dependents 28-08-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
september 6th 2013, cic received on sept 10th, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
05/09/2013
LANDED..........
November 2nd, 2013
DannyG said:
Hi

1 quick question - will there be a problem if in our previous visa applications, work permit applications etc we did not declare ourselves as common law partners? And now we would be applying together under CEC as common law partners.

The thing is, back in those days, even though we had been together for quite a while, we did not think of ourselves as a common law partner. Although we were in a serious relationship, there was a boundary, you know, as to declaring ourselves together, something like saying "we are married." A bit uncomfortable if you know what I mean.

Bottom line is, now we would be applying as common law partners, do you think there will be a problem if somehow the visa officers look into our previous visa/permit/etc applications?

thank you!
if u can provide supporting documents that u have been living together for at least one year; like joint leases, joint account, addresses, life insurance etc for the past one year, i didn't forsee a problem

DannyG

Aug 26, 2012
Well, soon after posting this I figured the answer on myself. Last time one of us checked a "single" box was in February 2011, that is, 1.5 years ago. The truth is that at THAT point in time we were not in a conjugal relationship living for 1 year, as she was in her last year of university outside of Toronto, while I was in Toronto working.

Just to clarify, to be a common law partner, you have to have lived together for the last 1 year, right? Just as an arbitrary example, if X&Y live together for 6 months, then they are separated for 6 months, and then live together for another 6 months - then they wouldn't be in a common law partnership. It's not cumulative, in this sense?

Thank you for your help!

ujbaby

Champion Member
May 21, 2011
toronto,on
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/08/2012. Sydney received on 17/08/12
AOR Received.
september 8th 2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
Aug-07-2013
Med's Done....
Aug-22-2013, dependents 28-08-13
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
september 6th 2013, cic received on sept 10th, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
05/09/2013
LANDED..........
November 2nd, 2013
DannyG said:
Well, soon after posting this I figured the answer on myself. Last time one of us checked a "single" box was in February 2011, that is, 1.5 years ago. The truth is that at THAT point in time we were not in a conjugal relationship living for 1 year, as she was in her last year of university outside of Toronto, while I was in Toronto working.

Just to clarify, to be a common law partner, you have to have lived together for the last 1 year, right? Just as an arbitrary example, if X&Y live together for 6 months, then they are separated for 6 months, and then live together for another 6 months - then they wouldn't be in a common law partnership. It's not cumulative, in this sense?

Thank you for your help!
ur not eligible to apply without supporting documents that will indicate u have lived together for one year at least continuosly