+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

declaring common law on visa renewals

sc09

Feb 26, 2014
Hi,

I'll try and explain clearly! I need to fill in the 5710 form to lift restrictions off my IEC work permit (after CIC cancelled my medical request through mis-understanding, so I had to get a new medical done to get this changed). When I applied for the first visa I stated 'single' as my boyfriend and I had not lived together long. It's now been over 12months so I want to know if I should declare common-law or will this conflict with details in original app?
In addition to this, he is not a Canadian citizen and is on study permit. Will they start delving into his details or just see that we are common-law and leave it as that? (I am not applying to sponsor him, therefore not sure if it's relevent to put down right now as I'm just changing status on current visa. Just don't want to get slapped in the face later down the line when applying for PR cos of an innocent mistake) THANKS!

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's now been over 12months so I want to know if I should declare common-law or will this conflict with details in original app?
If you have been living together for 12+ months then and you have proof of life together then you may declare a common law spouse.

However, if you do not consider him a SPOUSE but a BF then no need to declare. If in the future you will consider yourselves common-law spouses they you still can show that you lived together since then. You need to show only a year, so they do not care if it was 2 or 3 years. (IMHO! :))

sc09

Feb 26, 2014
Thank you!

I read the bottom of the Declaration of Common-law form last night and it said this form is to be used when applying for sponsorship, permanent residency or temporary residency. I'm not applying for any of these as I already have my visa, I just need them to lift the work restrictions off my work permit now that I have done my medical. So I'm thinking I therefore don't need to fill this form.
However, would I still say common law on the other form where it asks marital status and not send the declaration form? We have been living together just over 12months and have a joint bank account and some other bills with our names on for internet etc. But when I come to apply for PR and they see the lease date etc from 2013, they wouldn't question why I didn't declare the common law before? or I can say that we were living as boyfriend and girlfriend but now we are declaring it as it has been a good period of time and proves a solid relationship etc? I guess I'm just worried of being accused of misrepresentation even though that's not what I'm intentially doing.
Sorry for all the questions! Much appreciated.