+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Declaration of Intent to Reside in Québec- potential issues with Citizenship?

Hoback

Apr 27, 2012
Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
U024
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
28-08-2012
Doc's Request.
Sent upfront
Nomination.....
5-09-2015
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with file
Med's Request
Sent upfront
Med's Done....
Sent upfront
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
In Canada since 22-08-2013
I have recently been offered a career opportunity in Toronto, ON. Am I able to leave the province of Québec (landed QSW immigrant) without any adverse consequences regarding future citizenship application? I've been trying to find any definite information pertaining to a legal obligation to stay in Québec but every time I came empty handed.

Katayoon

Champion Member
Nov 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have recently been offered a career opportunity in Toronto, ON. Am I able to leave the province of Québec (landed QSW immigrant) without any adverse consequences regarding future citizenship application? I've been trying to find any definite information pertaining to a legal obligation to stay in Québec but every time I came empty handed.
Yes, many people move to other provinces because QC has a tough job market. I moved to Alberta then Ontario one year after landing and got my citizenship application processed in 5 months with no issues at all. You are free to live wherever you want in Canada as a PR.

Hoback

Apr 27, 2012
Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
U024
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
28-08-2012
Doc's Request.
Sent upfront
Nomination.....
5-09-2015
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with file
Med's Request
Sent upfront
Med's Done....
Sent upfront
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
Yes, many people move to other provinces because QC has a tough job market. I moved to Alberta then Ontario one year after landing and got my citizenship application processed in 5 months with no issues at all. You are free to live wherever you want in Canada as a PR.
Thank you Katayoon. Would you also happen to know how binding the Déclaration d'intention de résider au Québec is. Again, I could not find any information nor timeframe.

Katayoon

Champion Member
Nov 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you Katayoon. Would you also happen to know how binding the Déclaration d'intention de résider au Québec is. Again, I could not find any information nor timeframe.
It is very gray area and there is no strict guideline as to how long you have to reside in QC before moving. As a PR, you are free to live wherever you want and there is no requirement to stay in QC for X number of days before moving. Of course, nobody wants us to abuse the system and apply through QC skilled worker just to get through and then move on. But what are we supposed to do if we have a better opportunity elsewhere? It is our right to pursue it. I lived in QC for one year on a minimum wage, odd jobs and lots of government welfare subsidies. Then moved to AB and later Ontario to work in my field and now I am on a 6-digit salary. I do not think any officer in their right mind would punish me for moving. Canada needs productive taxpayers.

This question did not even come up on my interview - they check residency in Canada, not in particular province.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

Hoback

Apr 27, 2012
Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
U024
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
28-08-2012
Doc's Request.
Sent upfront
Nomination.....
5-09-2015
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with file
Med's Request
Sent upfront
Med's Done....
Sent upfront
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
Thanks again for your input in this matter. Have you ever heard of anyone who got in trouble for violating the agreement? Would it be MIDI or CIC (IRCC) that can potentially go after immigrants who left Québec?

Katayoon

Champion Member
Nov 19, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks again for your input in this matter. Have you ever heard of anyone who got in trouble for violating the agreement? Would it be MIDI or CIC (IRCC) that can potentially go after immigrants who left Québec?
No I never heard of such cases personally. There are so many people leaving QC that it would be too costly to track all of them.

Reactions: Hoback

immish2017

Dec 21, 2017
Category........
QSW
LANDED..........
18-08-2017
Hi Katayoon. Is such obligation for the entire family? Given the tough job conditions, I am thinking of sending my family first while I stay back in my employer country. I'd appreciate if you can share your opinion as to whether I should move my family to Toronto GTA areas? I had landed with my family in 2017 in Montreal and stayed there for a month before we left until permanent move.