+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Deck officers, water transport (NOC 2273)

Rahul_Menon

May 10, 2018
Hello, guys! I just want to know if my husband is qualified for express entry. He has been an LPG master mariner since 2010. Our immigration consultant here in the Philippines told us that he is not qualified because of his work experiences which do not last for 1 year as his contracts are usually 6-7 months. We were told to just go for the student visa, me being the applicant. However, I'm still not completely convinced that my husband's work experience is not enough. He has been an overseas seafarer since 1997, and a deck officer since 1999. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering but my work experience of 3 yrs (1998-2002) is not counted as I resigned from work (to become a full-time housewife) in 2002 when we got married. We have three children and we have sufficient proof of funds.

Is age really a big factor (we're both 41 yo)? or is NOC 2273 not an in-demand occupation in Canada?

I hope someone can shed light on us. Thanks in advance.

By the way, He is also open to land-based occupations not related to seafaring. We just want to know if his qualifications as a master mariner can be used to gain PR.
A little bit about myself, I am a sailing Chief Mate, 27 years old and have received my ITA in September 2018.

I will answer your query in 3 steps :

1) Age is a very big factor unless and untill you have secured a job offer from Canada. If you look at the rating system, one of the highest points have been given to age. ( 30 years of age or less ).

2) Regarding the work experience, I am a sailing Chief Mate presently so I think I can give a apt solution to this. Since I have a good rapport with my company, I requested them for a work experience letter without mentioning that it is a contract based employment. After some amount of convincing they did give it to me. Maybe you can try this?

3) NOC 2273 is in demand. But again there is a big catch. Canada requires that you have a Canadian Certificate of Competancy, which can only be awarded to Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents of Canada.
Basically if you hold a COC of a different nationality, you will have to visit a Transport Canada Office, request for an equivalent exams and do all the associated courses as required by them after you get your PR.

In conclusion, since age is not on your side, I think the solution given by your visa consulatant is good. Once you have Canadian Education the odds might be in your favour.( Altough still a long shot )

Reactions: florbv77

florbv77

Nov 19, 2018
A little bit about myself, I am a sailing Chief Mate, 27 years old and have received my ITA in September 2018.

I will answer your query in 3 steps :

1) Age is a very big factor unless and untill you have secured a job offer from Canada. If you look at the rating system, one of the highest points have been given to age. ( 30 years of age or less ).

2) Regarding the work experience, I am a sailing Chief Mate presently so I think I can give a apt solution to this. Since I have a good rapport with my company, I requested them for a work experience letter without mentioning that it is a contract based employment. After some amount of convincing they did give it to me. Maybe you can try this?

3) NOC 2273 is in demand. But again there is a big catch. Canada requires that you have a Canadian Certificate of Competancy, which can only be awarded to Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents of Canada.
Basically if you hold a COC of a different nationality, you will have to visit a Transport Canada Office, request for an equivalent exams and do all the associated courses as required by them after you get your PR.

In conclusion, since age is not on your side, I think the solution given by your visa consulatant is good. Once you have Canadian Education the odds might be in your favour.( Altough still a long shot )
Thank you for the insight. Maybe the main reason why our immigration consultant didn't recommend the EE was our age. Anyway, I guess we just have to pursue the student visa. While I am studying for 2 years, maybe at the same time, he can get a Master's Degree for additional points once we are ready to apply for PR.

Now I have another question. Am I correct in my understanding that you have a edge in applying for a job if you have a Canadian education, and then eventually, if you get a job offer, you may then apply for Provincial Nominee in which you can get additional 600 points once nominated. So meaning, age is no longer a hindrance in applying for PR?

Rahul_Menon

May 10, 2018
Thank you for the insight. Maybe the main reason why our immigration consultant didn't recommend the EE was our age. Anyway, I guess we just have to pursue the student visa. While I am studying for 2 years, maybe at the same time, he can get a Master's Degree for additional points once we are ready to apply for PR.

Now I have another question. Am I correct in my understanding that you have a edge in applying for a job if you have a Canadian education, and then eventually, if you get a job offer, you may then apply for Provincial Nominee in which you can get additional 600 points once nominated. So meaning, age is no longer a hindrance in applying for PR?
You absolutely have an edge if you have a Canadian education and consequently a job offer from Canada. Provincial Nominee is one program that you can opt for apart from the Express Entry ( which also holds additional points for Canadian Education / Work Experience in Canada).
As for your husband, since he is already a sailing Master and has good amount of experience, he can do some small bridging courses and land a shore job easily ( Superitendents / Crewing Managers / Hull Inspectors / Class Surveyor / SIRE Inspectors / Cargo Superintendents / Chatering etc etc). If a Masters is absolutely something he wants to do then he will have to get his degrees assessed by WES for a Canadian Equilance for the same and then decide on the courses basis his eligibility.

P.S. Once you have Canadian Education and a job offer, you might be able to get over the age hurdle.
Also bear in mind, with your plans of studying you are looking for a time frame of atleast 2 years before you apply for your PR. No one knows what the rules or criteria for entry then might be.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: florbv77

florbv77

Nov 19, 2018
You absolutely have an edge if you have a Canadian education and consequently a job offer from Canada. Provincial Nominee is one program that you can opt for apart from the Express Entry ( which also holds additional points for Canadian Education / Work Experience in Canada).
As for your husband, since he is already a sailing Master and has good amount of experience, he can do some small bridging courses and land a shore job easily ( Superitendents / Crewing Managers / Hull Inspectors / Class Surveyor / SIRE Inspectors / Cargo Superintendents / Chatering etc etc). If a Masters is absolutely something he wants to do then he will have to get his degrees assessed by WES for a Canadian Equilance for the same and then decide on the courses basis his eligibility.

P.S. Once you have Canadian Education and a job offer, you might be able to get over the age hurdle.
Also bear in mind, with your plans of studying you are looking for a time frame of atleast 2 years before you apply for your PR. No one knows what the rules or criteria for entry then might be.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for enlightening us. Those jobs you mentioned are exactly what he's eyeing for in Canada. Now, I have some followup questions. If he follows me while I'm studying there, is there a chance for him to land those jobs (assuming he has already gone through those bridging courses) while on an open work permit?

Another question, what province offers more job opportunities such as those?

Rahul_Menon

May 10, 2018
Thank you so much for enlightening us. Those jobs you mentioned are exactly what he's eyeing for in Canada. Now, I have some followup questions. If he follows me while I'm studying there, is there a chance for him to land those jobs (assuming he has already gone through those bridging courses) while on an open work permit?

Another question, what province offers more job opportunities such as those?
Yes absolutely, he has a chance for sure. But during my research what I found was that, these jobs are very small in number. So it all boils down to being at the right place at the right time.
Regarding your other query I have not come across any Provincial Program in which NOC 2273 was offered. But geographically speaking these jobs are mostly concentrated around Toronto and Vancouver. There are other small provinces as well but these aforementioned places would be your best bet since most businesses are located there. But who knows they might include them in the future.

In conclusion you will have to take it one step at a time, and take an informed decision if and when there is an opportunity.

florbv77

Nov 19, 2018
Yes absolutely, he has a chance for sure. But during my research what I found was that, these jobs are very small in number. So it all boils down to being at the right place at the right time.
Regarding your other query I have not come across any Provincial Program in which NOC 2273 was offered. But geographically speaking these jobs are mostly concentrated around Toronto and Vancouver. There are other small provinces as well but these aforementioned places would be your best bet since most businesses are located there. But who knows they might include them in the future.

In conclusion you will have to take it one step at a time, and take an informed decision if and when there is an opportunity.
Thank you so much for the advice.

Simkash

Apr 21, 2018
Hello everyone,

Hope this message finds you well.

Myself a PR aspirant just like everyone here. I have been working as a 2nd officer - DPO for a decent amount of time in the oil & gas industry.

Below are my few quries to begin with.

Let me start by asking you, how has your PR journey been so far? Talking about journey, me and my wife are just started here. We are thinking to make her the primary applicant. We have got our transcipts and all set to go for ECA. She did give her IELTS once, but the required band was not achieved. As per our CRS target we need to acquire band 8. Anything above it would be an icing on the cake.

How can myself be the primary applicant? What paperwork I would require to produce? What stage would this paperwork be required at? Is there any specific format or draft in which it is required?
Currently I'm at work and plan to give IELTS in first quater of 2019.

What is correct and what is wrong?
(i) Focus on IELTS band 8. (CRS = 440 and above)
(ii) Get your transcripts and get the ECA done.
(iii) Create EEP.

I want to genuinely thank you for taking out some of your precious time and reading this.

Best Regards & Good Luck!

Rj887

Aug 5, 2018
Hello, guys! I just want to know if my husband is qualified for express entry. He has been an LPG master mariner since 2010. Our immigration consultant here in the Philippines told us that he is not qualified because of his work experiences which do not last for 1 year as his contracts are usually 6-7 months. We were told to just go for the student visa, me being the applicant. However, I'm still not completely convinced that my husband's work experience is not enough. He has been an overseas seafarer since 1997, and a deck officer since 1999. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering but my work experience of 3 yrs (1998-2002) is not counted as I resigned from work (to become a full-time housewife) in 2002 when we got married. We have three children and we have sufficient proof of funds.

Is age really a big factor (we're both 41 yo)? or is NOC 2273 not an in-demand occupation in Canada?

I hope someone can shed light on us. Thanks in advance.

By the way, He is also open to land-based occupations not related to seafaring. We just want to know if his qualifications as a master mariner can be used to gain PR.
At his rank getting a Master or even chief mate job is tough in canada, as all company demand local experience and pilotage exemption for management level officer. Shore job in shipping industry is an option but that is also little tough without local experience. So I would recommend he continue his sailing job till you get your permanent residency.Also one think to notice is mariners are heavily taxed in Canada close to 30 percent.

nav464

Dec 14, 2018
Hi Everyone
Could anyone shed some light with regards to jobs available in the offshore sector specially DPO jobs or other related shore jobs.
Also are there any universities offering shipping related courses which might help us in securing a decent shore job

Thanks

amitarora30

Jan 19, 2018
Hello all ,i am a engineer in merchant navy and i applied for canadian PR with a CRS score of 440 and recently i got ITA but now as this profile NOC2274 is little different from other professionals profile so i am worried about the documents required to be submitted so that I shouldn’t get any ADR and my PR application should get approved.anyone her applied and rcvd pr can please share the list of documents submitted.i wil be highly thankful to you guys .please help 50days remaining

amitarora30

Jan 19, 2018
Good Day Guys,

I have recently received my Pr for Canada . I am working as a Master on oil tankers . I had a few questions if any of you could answer for me please.

1 Which province is best for relocation in Canada for seafarers to find jobs ?
2 How much time does it usually take to convert our indian coc to a canadian coc ? I do understand that we have to re do most of our modular courses again in canada ... If any of you could help me with this it would really be a big help.

Thanks
Sarang
Hello sir ,
Congratulations for getting PR. Can u pls share the documents relevant to shipping you submitted after getting ITA. Is there any way i can talk to uou personnaly as i m in process of documents submission as 50days nly remaining.
Please revert as soon as possible for you. Thanks,waiting desperately for your reply
Amit

Dewdrops1502

Star Member
Jan 9, 2019
Hi!
I am in the process of applying for family PR. Our minimum points would be 430. I am facing one difficulty and that is how to obtain points on the basis of my spouse? He has been sailing as a Master Mariner ( Ship’s Captain) with 48 months of sea time in the rank. He has no other degree apart from his Master’s COC and CDC ( both from India). Kindly advice how to claim points basis this. As per what I’ve read, COC cannot be evaluated by WES, so what can be the alternative?

gsohi2011

May 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-08-2017
AOR Received.
30-08-2017
File Transfer...
27-10-2017
Passport Req..
28-12-2017
LANDED..........
01-04-2018
Hi!
I am in the process of applying for family PR. Our minimum points would be 430. I am facing one difficulty and that is how to obtain points on the basis of my spouse? He has been sailing as a Master Mariner ( Ship’s Captain) with 48 months of sea time in the rank. He has no other degree apart from his Master’s COC and CDC ( both from India). Kindly advice how to claim points basis this. As per what I’ve read, COC cannot be evaluated by WES, so what can be the alternative?
He can check with Mumbai University, I think they issue B.Sc Nautical science degree to Master mariners.

Dewdrops1502

Star Member
Jan 9, 2019
He can check with Mumbai University, I think they issue B.Sc Nautical science degree to Master mariners.

Hi!

Thanks for the reply.

He does have that letter from Mumbai university stating that his Master’s COC is equivalent to B.Sc Nautical Science but since there are no marksheets for preparation of transcripts, would this letter be of any credibility?

gsohi2011

May 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
30-08-2017
AOR Received.
30-08-2017
File Transfer...
27-10-2017
Passport Req..
28-12-2017
LANDED..........
01-04-2018
Hi!

Thanks for the reply.

He does have that letter from Mumbai university stating that his Master’s COC is equivalent to B.Sc Nautical Science but since there are no marksheets for preparation of transcripts, would this letter be of any credibility?
No idea about that, you can try contacting wes,iqas or icas for this.

Reactions: Dewdrops1502