+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Decision made email but no answer after and no eCOPR.

ruimiguel

Dec 11, 2023
Hi everyone,

I hope you are well and I was hoping to get an insight on this since the system changed a little after COVID. I have seen December 22, 2023 that an update was made reflecting an inquiry on the tracker. Shortly after I got a text message by my immigration lawyer saying that IRCC has sent an email saying that the decision was made but that the Permanent Resident Processing Fee was outstanding with a due date of 7 days. Since I had made the payment back in September, we replied with the receipt and on the 23rd we got confirmation that our officer handling the case got the receipt. There has been no updates since and no eCOPR is being shown on the tracker.

The fact that a decision has been made, is been almost 2 weeks and I don't know what has been decided with no eCOPR showing on the tracker is stressing me out.

Anyone that has gone thru a similar experience not too long ago that might tell me if it is normal to take this long to just let me know which decision was made and how long could it take to finalize everything after that?

I am sponsoring my inland wife.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Anyone that has gone thru a similar experience not too long ago that might tell me if it is normal to take this long to just let me know which decision was made and how long could it take to finalize everything after that?

I am sponsoring my inland wife.
Probably not enough cases where the request to pay the PRP fee came at time of decision made to be able to give you a reliable estimate. My guess would be expect it to be 4-8 weeks from time you paid fee before the system kicked it out to whatever comes next.

ruimiguel

Dec 11, 2023
Probably not enough cases where the request to pay the PRP fee came at time of decision made to be able to give you a reliable estimate. My guess would be expect it to be 4-8 weeks from time you paid fee before the system kicked it out to whatever comes next.
The fee was paid back in September, so I thought was odd they missed it. They confirmed receipt a day after that email and after that, nothing, completely silent. I would think that since a decision has been made and that they have always requested everything via email that they would share a decision relatively fast, and then if positive, they would emit eCOPR.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I would think that since a decision has been made and that they have always requested everything via email that they would share a decision relatively fast, and then if positive, they would emit eCOPR.
"I would think that because" [insert some guess about how their internal systems work, especially after just having received a request for something that had already been provided] strikes me as not just equivalent to a guess but a wild guess.

My observation has been that (with some exceptions) these types of request/submission cycles take more like 2-8 weeks to turn around, even when they seem simple. My guess about their internal system is that these automated/semi-automated requests are not 'geared' by the system to return to human for processing automatically, possibly especially where the answer is "it's already been done". Anything that requires a webform submission to trigger next step is problematic because it seems to take them minimum four weeks for anyone to look at or take action on a webform (although I'm sure there are exceptions). The 'time to eCOPR' issuance alone seems highly unpredictable to me (but don't claim to expertise).

But I hope you're right and you get it soon.

ruimiguel

Dec 11, 2023
"I would think that because" [insert some guess about how their internal systems work, especially after just having received a request for something that had already been provided] strikes me as not just equivalent to a guess but a wild guess.

My observation has been that (with some exceptions) these types of request/submission cycles take more like 2-8 weeks to turn around, even when they seem simple. My guess about their internal system is that these automated/semi-automated requests are not 'geared' by the system to return to human for processing automatically, possibly especially where the answer is "it's already been done". Anything that requires a webform submission to trigger next step is problematic because it seems to take them minimum four weeks for anyone to look at or take action on a webform (although I'm sure there are exceptions). The 'time to eCOPR' issuance alone seems highly unpredictable to me (but don't claim to expertise).

But I hope you're right and you get it soon.
That is a great insight. My guesses were based on the fact that my lawyer spoke directly with the officer in case as they apparently know each other from another cases, and her reply to the receipt web form took less than 24 hours, but yes, you are correct, this are guesses and I know there are a lot of factors to be determined by other factors. Is just odd to tell someone that a decision has been made, but the decision is not shared with the applicant, since it has been a couple of weeks. Is nerve racking.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
That is a great insight. My guesses were based on the fact that my lawyer spoke directly with the officer in case as they apparently know each other from another cases, and her reply to the receipt web form took less than 24 hours, but yes, you are correct, this are guesses and I know there are a lot of factors to be determined by other factors. Is just odd to tell someone that a decision has been made, but the decision is not shared with the applicant, since it has been a couple of weeks. Is nerve racking.
If your lawyer spoke and there was some direct communication, I could well be completely off.

I understand why most think decision made should lead to PPR/ecopr or separate right away, and it does happen in some cases. But again, we don't really have visibility into why there is variance in these periods, we just see it can vary. One thing that clearly has more variance (I think) is where something else is happening (as in your case).

Or put differently: a fair number of decision mades get passport request or equivalent in just a few days. After that, say after a week, it's much less obvious.

ruimiguel

Dec 11, 2023
If your lawyer spoke and there was some direct communication, I could well be completely off.

I understand why most think decision made should lead to PPR/ecopr or separate right away, and it does happen in some cases. But again, we don't really have visibility into why there is variance in these periods, we just see it can vary. One thing that clearly has more variance (I think) is where something else is happening (as in your case).

Or put differently: a fair number of decision mades get passport request or equivalent in just a few days. After that, say after a week, it's much less obvious.
It is understandable, I was just hoping to get some nerve relief news soon.

Reactions: armoured