+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Decision Made but No Communication Since! What to do?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
OK, what happens next is that you get the COPR and accompanying notes through the mail.
You check and recheck them to make sure that they are 100% correct and that the expiry date has not already passed.
(This has happened to at least one person on here because of postal delays).
Then, based on the expiry date, you either run very fast to the nearest border crossing or you quietly make plans to land when it suits you. You can "land" and immediately return home to finalise your plans, but you MUST land before the expiry date on the COPR.

Sea-Van

Jan 10, 2014
Very helpful - Thanks! I don't anticipate any mail delays however I am thinking the landing will likely have to be quick. I also think I'll surely have to return here to finalize things...

Now to deal with my employer and other stuff.... ugh I'm in the biotech industry I hope I can find gainful employment in BC quickly.

JonDeaneStewart

Jun 24, 2013
Hi All -- original poster here

I wanted to update you all on our situation. My wife replied to an email we had received from the CIC several months ago regarding passport photos and asked about the status of our application because it has said Decision Made for 6 weeks or so.

Today she received an email back stating that her application was approved and that they are mailing out the CoPR TODAY. My guess is somehow they screwed up at the CIC because it's way too convenient that one day after we send them an email inquiring about the status that it suddenly gets sent. So if you are in the same situation as my wife and I, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND emailing the CIC about your status to avoid any delays.

Thank you all for your assistance! I really appreciate it.

Jon

Sea-Van

Jan 10, 2014
JonDeaneStewart said:

I wanted to update you all on our situation. My wife replied to an email we had received from the CIC several months ago regarding passport photos and asked about the status of our application because it has said Decision Made for 6 weeks or so.

Today she received an email back stating that her application was approved and that they are mailing out the CoPR TODAY. My guess is somehow they screwed up at the CIC because it's way too convenient that one day after we send them an email inquiring about the status that it suddenly gets sent. So if you are in the same situation as my wife and I, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND emailing the CIC about your status to avoid any delays.

Jon
Hi JonDeaneStewart,

Similar to your situation, I'm American my husband is Canadian - We also applied for PR (for me), outland. CIC changed status to Decision Made a 2-3 days ago. My medical is due to expire in about 2 weeks so I need that COPR to come through ASAP (although I've been told an extension of the medical might be granted). I'll take your kind advice and email our case officer today - I don't suppose it can do any harm and at a minimum, might expedite mailing of the necessary documentation.

Thanks again for your help.

Sea-Van

Jan 10, 2014
Hello again JonDeaneStewart,

I told you I'd take your advice and email CIC, well I emailed the CIC caseworker at 11:40am PST and received her reply at 11:45am PST as follows:

Good day,

You case has been approved and we sent you documentation by the mail on 2014/01/03. Please allow regular postal delays (normally 10-15 business days) to receive it.

Thank you,

So, it looks like I should expect these documents within the next few days. This is awesome news and I wanted to share it!

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JonDeaneStewart said:

Jon
Congratulations! I'm glad it worked :)

JonDeaneStewart

Jun 24, 2013
That's fantastic! Congrats! Where are you moving to if I may ask? We're going to Calgary.

I'll repost when we get our docs in the mail.

remonda

Star Member
Aug 30, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JonDeaneStewart said:

Jon
Congratulation for this news .i want to ask you a question pls ,as you said that u (sponsor)is living outside canada.can i know what proofs did you send for your intention to return back is there any interview for you or your spouse we are in the same boat hope we hear soon good news
Thanks

JonDeaneStewart

Jun 24, 2013
Remonda, That's a great question as we were requested to send in extra proof.

When I applied we knew it would be over a year until we were ready to move so we just sent a signed letter declaring our intent. When they emailed us asking for further information I sent them a letter from My father, my grandfather, my grandma, my spouses (main applicant) mother, our roommate, email transcriptions from throughout the year where we had discussed our impending move to Canada, and a few emails from job applications we had applied to. It was a hefty packet full of proof of our intent to move.

Hope that helps! Best of luck.

Jon

rice-racer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2012
Hello folks!
I'm in the same position as well. I sponsored my US wife and 15 year old daughter to Canada, I'm a Canadian born citizen here.
Application sent and received Dec 30, 2012.
Using her client ID #, and logging into site, she finally got " A decision has been made on your application. The office will contact you concerning this decision." Her status is also updated to Decision made, from In Process.
So now what, she will receive something via regular mail in the US, any time frame to expect?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
rice-racer said:
Hello folks!
I'm in the same position as well. I sponsored my US wife and 15 year old daughter to Canada, I'm a Canadian born citizen here.
Application sent and received Dec 30, 2012.
Using her client ID #, and logging into site, she finally got " A decision has been made on your application. The office will contact you concerning this decision." Her status is also updated to Decision made, from In Process.
So now what, she will receive something via regular mail in the US, any time frame to expect?
As it's an outland application, the COPR should arrive in the mail in the next few days to a couple of weeks.

rice-racer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2012
Silly question, but what is "COPR", and if it's the landing/residency documents, what is the time frame for a person to receive and make the landing? Does a person have say, 3 or 6 months to make the initial entry before it expires?
She will have to return and finish her work, house dealings etc before making the final move, and assume the 15 year old daughter might finish the school year down there, so probably make final move in June, if landing in the next couple of months. Hope there's no issue doing things that way, once official PR status.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
rice-racer said:
Silly question, but what is "COPR", and if it's the landing/residency documents, what is the time frame for a person to receive and make the landing? Does a person have say, 3 or 6 months to make the initial entry before it expires?
She will have to return and finish her work, house dealings etc before making the final move, and assume the 15 year old daughter might finish the school year down there, so probably make final move in June, if landing in the next couple of months. Hope there's no issue doing things that way, once official PR status.
Confirmation of Permanent Residence. The expiry date can range from almost a year down to a few days, depending on exactly how your timeline worked out. It's normally a year after your last medical examination or medical extension.

rice-racer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2012
Thank you zardoz!
As it sits, the medical exams were done September 25, 2012, and now over a year later, things are moving.
I assume they probably extended the timeline, because of the strike etc. Do they just automatically decide and adjust the timeline, based on medical results date, or is that another process again? So, assuming, she would have a few months to land yet.
My concern is that she has just bought plane tickets to visit me here on the daughters Spring Break, arriving March 28 in Canada.
I emailed Ottawa Pilot about this concern, if all is in order, they can do things around this time frame for landing then.
I expressed the fact of the strike causing delays and backlog, and basically not a result of anything we did.
I will post what they say/reply, if they do.

remonda

Star Member
Aug 30, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JonDeaneStewart said:
Remonda, That's a great question as we were requested to send in extra proof.

When I applied we knew it would be over a year until we were ready to move so we just sent a signed letter declaring our intent. When they emailed us asking for further information I sent them a letter from My father, my grandfather, my grandma, my spouses (main applicant) mother, our roommate, email transcriptions from throughout the year where we had discussed our impending move to Canada, and a few emails from job applications we had applied to. It was a hefty packet full of proof of our intent to move.

Hope that helps! Best of luck.

Jon
Thanks fou your quick reply and for this information it will help us.another ques pls the extra information they asked for your intention was after the sponsor approval or befor? i mean that if the sponsor got approved for first step then they can ask for more information in second vo?
Thanku