NOC Code......
-
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
I had applied for citizenship in May 2015,
had judge hearing in oct 2017.

Now my online status has been changed to
  1. A decision has been taken on your application. You should receive correspondence within the next three months.
I have seen the trend after judge hearing people get decision made and then a line stating oath ceremony.

Anybody with similar experience? I don't want to wait another 3 months just to receive a refusal letter. I might as well reapply if thats the case.

Thanks,

stone8198

May 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
N/A
NOC Code......
-
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Stone8189, i’m In the same situation and our timelines are really similar, it’s hard to say at this point what will be the out come ( we just have to wait), it can be also based on the reason why you got referred to the CJ in the first place, is it a short fall, extensive travels to US ...etc
Here’s a useful link: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/application-with-the-judge.503748/
how long has it been since your ecas changed to decision made? I have spoken to quite a few people they said it might not be an approval. they mention 3 months because they have to give detailed information of why they had to reject the application as well as an option for federal.

Did you inquire through your mp?

stone8198

May 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
N/A
NOC Code......
-
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jaroddz, when did you ecas change to Decision Made?

Jaroddz

Mar 29, 2012
Toronto
It took 44 days for the ecas to change to "Decision Made" since the CJ hearing date, but i didn't get any details in my ecas (the last line was the scheduled for the C J hearing, yes i'm connecting my MP to get me some update (but don'r expect too much), hoe long it took you to get the decision made?

stone8198

May 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
N/A
NOC Code......
-
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
so it has been 2 weeks since decision made for you yea? and you don't have a line added after decision made saying "
  1. A decision has been taken on your application. You should receive correspondence within the next three months.
what is your local office?

for me about 40 days. and decision made was yesterday, on a sunday. who couldv imagined.

my hearing was barely 15 mins seriously. and the judge was neutral.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi,
I had applied for citizenship in May 2015,
had judge hearing in oct 2017.

Now my online status has been changed to
I have seen the trend after judge hearing people get decision made and then a line stating oath ceremony.

Anybody with similar experience? I don't want to wait another 3 months just to receive a refusal letter. I might as well reapply if thats the case.

Thanks,
At this stage of the process, with some exceptions (suspended application processing for very specific grounds, for example), what can happen next is fairly well-defined.

If CJ denied approval:

If the Citizenship Judge denied approval the applicant should receive formal notice of that decision PROMPTLY after the decision is made. A week to two weeks perhaps. This notice is mandated by statute. Thus, if it goes much more than two weeks since the DECISION MADE date, and no formal notice of that decision has been received, it is very likely (not quite guaranteed but very likely) the CJ has approved the grant of citizenship.

The applicant does not have a right of appeal, but can make an application for leave to obtain judicial review (which is kind of like an appeal, and is basically an appeal if such leave is granted). This must be done within 30 days. The applicant who has, in the meantime, clearly met the requirements will of course want to seriously consider simply making a new application.

Note, a new application and an appeal can both be pursued at the same time.

IF CJ approved grant of citizenship:

If the Citizenship Judge approved a grant of citizenship, the applicant should either be scheduled to take the oath OR IRCC might appeal the CJ's decision. There is no specific notice to the applicant that the CJ has approved a grant of citizenship. The notice the applicant will receive will be either notice that IRCC has made an appeal, or notice to attend an oath ceremony.

Learning whether IRCC will schedule the oath or appeal can take a lot longer than learning the outcome when a CJ denies approval. Notice that IRCC will appeal should come within six weeks, or a bit more, after the decision made date. Notice of the oath can take several months.

In particular, IRCC has 30 days from when it received the CJ's decision to make its appeal (IRCC does have a right of appeal), and it appears that IRCC ordinarily takes just about all that time to decide. If IRCC elects to appeal, it has to send notice of that to the applicant. In total, this can take from five to six weeks, perhaps a bit longer, after the date the CJ's decision is received by IRCC.

If IRCC does not appeal, it will usually (with some exceptions) schedule the oath. It appears this can take up to six months or so, although usually there is notice of the date for the oath sent within three months or so, sometimes a little longer.

Thus, if the CJ approved the grant of citizenship, the applicant might not know what IRCC will do for six weeks or more. Within six weeks if IRCC is going to appeal. Within three months or so if IRCC will proceed with scheduling the oath.

Obviously, if the CJ granted approval and IRCC is not going to file an appeal, it will be worth waiting for the oath even if it will be many months before the oath is scheduled.

If IRCC appeals (noting that it appears IRCC only appeals a small percentage of cases), the applicant may decide to concede and then proceed to make a new application, or consult with a lawyer and decide to respond to IRCC's appeal. I believe (not sure about this part) that the applicant can also make a new application while the appeal is pending.

Overall:

If no notice of the decision itself is received for two to three weeks after the decision made date, odds are high the CJ approved the decision.

Beyond that, if there is still no notice of what the decision is or any notice of an appeal by IRCC, for another four to five weeks (total six to seven from the decision made date), odds are high that a notice to attend the oath will come, but that can take another two or so months (as much as three to six months after the decision made date).

stone8198

May 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
N/A
NOC Code......
-
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
so jarrodz just got a call from mps office, they have already mailed me the decision through fedex. which is strange. will be delivered tomorrow.
I will update you. if it is this quick then it is most likely a refusal. as there was another member who got it through express mail turned out to be a refusal.

Jaroddz

Mar 29, 2012
Toronto
so jarrodz just got a call from mps office, they have already mailed me the decision through fedex. which is strange. will be delivered tomorrow.
I will update you. if it is this quick then it is most likely a refusal. as there was another member who got it through express mail turned out to be a refusal.
1- Yes, about 17 days since the ecas status changed to “ decision made “
2- I don’t have that line.
3- My local office is Mississauga.
Finger crossed for you, wish you all the best, keep us posted.

Last edited:

Jaroddz

Mar 29, 2012
Toronto
Any particular reason why it would have been refused ? Are you short of days ?
Not according to my calculation, every case is different, but in case of refusal ( i hope not), the CJ has the obligation to clearly explain his decision to the applicant, as indicated below by the IRCC website:
Negative decision
Section 14 of the Citizenship Act requires that when a citizenship judge does not approve an application, they have an obligation to notify
  • both the applicant and the Minister of the decision and the reasons for it; and
  • the applicant of their right to apply for judicial review.
While not specified in legislation, but in accordance with procedural fairness and the rules of natural justice, citizenship officers who are making decisions are likewise instructed to notify the applicant if they do not grant citizenship and provide them with the reasons for their decision.

The decision makers must be the one to justify their decision to refuse or non-approve an application. This responsibility cannot be delegated to another decision maker.

Failure to give reasons, or providing inadequate reasons for a decision when required by law may have consequences, should a judicial review be sought.

When the decision maker(citizenship officer or judge)refuses an application, the letter must

• inform the applicant that the application is not approved or refused;
  • outline the facts, analysis of the facts, and the conclusions that have been reached based on the analysis;
  • gives complete reasons for and evidence supporting the decision;
  • outline the evidence rejected (if applicable), and the rationale or basis for rejecting the evidence;
  • give an explanation for any findings made and how those findings relate to whether the requirements of the Act were met or not met.

Last edited:
Reactions: dunten

stone8198

May 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
N/A
NOC Code......
-
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
got the letter today. its not approved. the funny part of all this is when they approve they use regular mail, when its a rejection they use Fedex express. good luck jarodzz.

Jaroddz

Mar 29, 2012
Toronto
got the letter today. its not approved. the funny part of all this is when they approve they use regular mail, when its a rejection they use Fedex express. good luck jarodzz.
Man sorry to hear that, did they gave you the reason for the refusal? Do you think it’s worth appealing it to the federal court? Or just reply will be time and money saving?

Last edited:

Jaroddz

Mar 29, 2012
Toronto
Man sorry to hear that, did they gave you the reason for the refusal? Do you think it’s worth appealing it to the federal court? Or just reply will be time and money saving?
Hello guys,
After almost 3 years, it almost over, the judge approved my application and today i got my ecas updated with the oath ceremony date January 12, 2018, unbelievable, special thanks to dpenbill for his precious advice.
i hope my experience will help others.
Thanks again for your support.

ghsamim

Sep 7, 2018
Hello everyone,
I applied on Oct. 2, 2017
Provided fingerprint in Dec. 2017
passed citizenship test in Jan. 2018
the IRCC had lost my fingerprint and asked me to resubmit May 2018
case referred to citizenship judge in July 2018 (I was two days below in residency requirement based on bill c-24)
online status changed Oct 2018 to Decision Made.
has anyone recently received a Decision Made from the citizenship judge? do you receive a letter from the judge or from the citizenship officer? are most of the decision negative/positive/ both? if positive how long until Oath Day? If negative what is the next step?
I appreciate if you could share experience should you have gone through a similar process.
Thank you!