Oct 28, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
03-07-2018
Can you guys give some hints and recommendations for the test? going to read the book and that Red app called Citizenship. would that be enough/ any experience during the test?
This is how I studied and can confirm it is enough to easily pass the test.

1. I listened to the Discover CANADA audio book (3 times) on 1.5x speed and at the same time i had the book in hand with a yellow marker. I highlighted key notes (dates, names, etc..)

2. I practiced online tests on these websites
https://www.apnatoronto.com/canadian-citizenship-test-practice/ (questions in here are quite close to the actual test)
http://www.thecanadiantest.com/citizenship-test

The exam is easy, you have like 10-12 trivial questions and the others are straightforward only if you have read the book a couple of times

All the best to you

Redbritman

Feb 19, 2023
Can you guys give some hints and recommendations for the test? going to read the book and that Red app called Citizenship. would that be enough/ any experience during the test?
I used the app Discover Canada Citizenship Test 2023. They have 20 practice tests on there, the tests are timed and also keeps track of your progress with metrics. You have to pay a small fee to get access to the tests but it’s worth it. I listened to the audio version of the book 3x because I found reading it a bore. I just kept doing the practice tests on the app until I could pass them all. I got 19/20 on the test. The test itself is much easier than the practice tests, for example on the actual test I was finished in about 4 mins.

Last edited:

ChristianC

Star Member
Oct 11, 2019
Type: Online application
Physical Presence Days: 1243.5
Application: Family (2)
Application sent: 04/12/2022
Delivered: 04/12/2022
AOR: 21/12/2022
Ghost Update: 17/02/2023
BG Completed: 16/02/2023
Test Invite: 18/02/2023
Test Taken: 12/03/2023
Citizenship Test Completed: 15/03/2023

Last edited:

Tich

Aug 24, 2016
Hello again dearests :). I got a test invite and a fingerprint request at the same time. Will do both in a week or so :). Good news is coming our way. Vancouver office.
Does it make a difference which one I do first?

Last edited:

DS1990

Star Member
Jun 24, 2019
Physical Presence Days: 1110
Application: Family
Application sent: 29/12/2022
Delivered: 29/12/2022
AOR: 16/01/2023
GU1: 02/03/2023
Background check completed: 6/03/2003
Test invite: 14/03/2023
Test dates: 25/03/2023 - 15/04/2023.

Hello guys, today we received a request for a test. Who took it - how difficult is it? I'm not ready at all. I hope I won't be the only one in this thread who fails it ...

Dr. Walden

Apr 27, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Physical Presence Days: 1110
Application: Family
Application sent: 29/12/2022
Delivered: 29/12/2022
AOR: 16/01/2023
GU1: 02/03/2023
Background check completed: 6/03/2003
Test invite: 14/03/2023
Test dates: 25/03/2023 - 15/04/2023.

Hello guys, today we received a request for a test. Who took it - how difficult is it? I'm not ready at all. I hope I won't be the only one in this thread who fails it ...
Based on general feedback from people who already took the test, it is not hard (no rocket science)! People with common sense, a couple of days of preparation, and doing mock tests online should be able to master the test. All information can be found in the "Discover Canada" Study guide book available in print, pdf, and audiobook. As per feedback, there are no trick questions. As one of the users noted (somewhere in another thread) - about 10-12 questions are pretty trivial, and the rest are based on the book. If someone fails the test, they will be allowed to retake it, which is usually rescheduled in the next few months. And, if the second time is failed, I believe the immigration office would schedule an in-person test.
I'm preparing for my test next week, listening to the audiobook, making some notes of the dates and names, and doing some mock tests online. Usually, mock tests online can be complex. However, the real test isn't as difficult as the mock tests available online.

Google "Richmond Library Citizenship Test" and give it a try!

Good luck!

DS1990

Star Member
Jun 24, 2019
Dr. Walden, thanks

Will the test be conducted online? Is there a time limit? Has anyone been able to use the translator built into Google Chrome?

Are there multiple-choice questions? If so, how many answer options are there per question?

Dr. Walden

Apr 27, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Dr. Walden, thanks

Will the test be conducted online? Is there a time limit? Has anyone been able to use the translator built into Google Chrome?

Are there multiple-choice questions? If so, how many answer options are there per question?
Yes, the test is online these days. There are some exceptions, and a few folks are invited for an in-person interview, but most applicants do the test online now. The questions are mostly multiple choice questions, you are usually presented with 4 choices/options, and there are some True or False questions. You will receive a detailed letter with an invitation and instructions for the test. Please read it carefully. No, you cannot use any third-party apps. And this is important! Ensure you don't have any apps launched in the background and your notifications are turned off. You are given 30 minutes and presented with 20 questions. It is not difficult, but spend some time familiarizing yourself with the book. You will do much better than you expect!

Reactions: li-kowa

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
Dr. Walden, thanks

Yes, the test is now conducted online. It's timed, closed book. You'll have 30 min to answer 20 questions and you'll need to get at least 15 correct answers to pass. You can use one of the two official languages for the test: English or French. You can only have only this tab open during the test as your screen being recorded and your camera is recording you. This test is also to used to assess your proficiency in English or French so unfortunately you will be unable to use any built-in or external translators.

Here are the official resources for the test:

Online Test: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-test/online.html
Tutorial: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-test/tutorial.html
About the Test: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-test.html

Reactions: KarRml

DS1990

Star Member
Jun 24, 2019
No, you cannot use any third-party apps.
I haven't received any email yet. Did I understand correctly that the test will be conducted in a standard browser (such as Google Chrome) and it has an option to translate to my native language? Can I use it?

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
"I haven't received any email yet. Did I understand correctly that the test will be conducted in a standard browser (such as Google Chrome) and it has an option to translate to my native language? Can I use it?"
NO... You will not be allowed to use a translator even if it is built into Chrome. See my reply above

Xxsaraxx

Star Member
Jun 7, 2017
Hello everyone,
I may be on a work trip and was wondering if it’s okay to take the citizenship test from abroad ? Does anyone have any info on that

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
do you guys know if numbers like dates will be asked on the test??
Unfortunately because of the NDA, we can't discuss what is on the test. This message has very helpful tips:

This is how I studied and can confirm it is enough to easily pass the test.

1. I listened to the Discover CANADA audio book (3 times) on 1.5x speed and at the same time i had the book in hand with a yellow marker. I highlighted key notes (dates, names, etc..)

2. I practiced online tests on these websites
https://www.apnatoronto.com/canadian-citizenship-test-practice/ (questions in here are quite close to the actual test)
http://www.thecanadiantest.com/citizenship-test

The exam is easy, you have like 10-12 trivial questions and the others are straightforward only if you have read the book a couple of times

All the best to you

Reactions: Dr. Walden

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
Hello everyone,
I may be on a work trip and was wondering if it’s okay to take the citizenship test from abroad ? Does anyone have any info on that
If you have to take the test outside Canada, once you receive the PDF instructions, read them carefully and follow instructions for test outside Canada.

However, there have been reports of some people experiencing delayed processing for taking the test outside Canada. See here:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/delayed-applications-citizenship-test-taken-outside-canada.777198/

Reactions: Xxsaraxx