+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

December 2022 - Citizenship Applicants

kyra15734

Star Member
Dec 21, 2020
Hi, did you get your passport? I was reading on IRCC's website that next business day pickups are more emergency cases only. I am flying in for my oath ceremony so I will have a return flight, is that enough to apply for the next business day passport?
Hi, yess, I got my passport using the next business day pickup. Don't forget to take a print-out of your flight ticket when you go to the passport office with your documents. Also, please inform your guarantor to expect a call and answer it promptly (most likely, for express pickups, it looks like the guarantor would receive a call). My guarantor got a phone call as I was leaving the office after submitting my application.

Reactions: imanny

imanny

Apr 17, 2023
Anyone know the process of surrendering indian passports after receiving canadian passport? how long is the process and is there a deadline to surrender the indian passport after getting canadian passport? thanks!

imanny

Apr 17, 2023
Hi, yess, I got my passport using the next business day pickup. Don't forget to take a print-out of your flight ticket when you go to the passport office with your documents. Also, please inform your guarantor to expect a call and answer it promptly (most likely, for express pickups, it looks like the guarantor would receive a call). My guarantor got a phone call as I was leaving the office after submitting my application.
Thanks for your response! Super helpful :)

kyra15734

Star Member
Dec 21, 2020
Anyone know the process of surrendering indian passports after receiving canadian passport? how long is the process and is there a deadline to surrender the indian passport after getting canadian passport? thanks!
Are you looking to surrender your Indian passport in Canada or the US? If you are planning to do it in the US, I can help answer some questions. I just submitted my surrender application today (in-person appointment at VFS Global)

I think you should "technically" surrender it within 90 days of acquiring a foreign passport. I put "technically" coz I know some friends who didn't (but they also didn't travel with their Indian passport after getting a foreign passport which incurs some fines).

That said, I would lean towards doing it on time, coz you'd need to apply for OCI right? And that, cannot happen unless you surrender your Indian passport.

kyra15734

Star Member
Dec 21, 2020
Also, for anyone who renewed their last Indian passport in Canada, and is trying to surrender their Indian passport in the US, be sure to create a new account with a new email id at https://embassy.passportindia.gov.in/, and select the correct country+mission info.

I happily used my old login info and went ahead and filled out the application, printed it, and appeared in person for my VFS Global surrender appointment, only to be sent back to create a new account by selecting the correct consulate info. No biggie, coz I ran to the nearest UPS, filled out an application, and ran back to VFS. But, imagine sending the application by mail and waiting for a few days to learn that you should have filled out the same form elsewhere :)

Just to be clear, this is not a common issue for those who are in Canada, and are surrendering their Indian passport in Canada. It is just a possibility for those of us who renewed our passport in Canada, applied for citizenship, moved to the US, flew in for the oath ceremony, and are now surrendering Indian passport after returning to the US...

and oh, if you are in the US and surrendering your India passport from here, take a photocopy of your H1B page(or equivalent visa status) on your passport. They asked me to attach it to the list of documents.

Last edited:

SGU79

Nov 24, 2023
Are you looking to surrender your Indian passport in Canada or the US? If you are planning to do it in the US, I can help answer some questions. I just submitted my surrender application today (in-person appointment at VFS Global)

I think you should "technically" surrender it within 90 days of acquiring a foreign passport. I put "technically" coz I know some friends who didn't (but they also didn't travel with their Indian passport after getting a foreign passport which incurs some fines).

That said, I would lean towards doing it on time, coz you'd need to apply for OCI right? And that, cannot happen unless you surrender your Indian passport.
You can surrender your Indian passport within 3 years
You can travel with it for another 90 days I believe after receipt of the new citizenship and passport
Surrendering the Indian passport in India is way cheaper and faster
Cost to surrender Indian passport in Canada is a 119$ where as in India it is 8$
I would do a research on this topic on eoi.gov.in

coolak2007

Star Member
May 22, 2021
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
04-12-2020
AOR Received.
15-09-2020
Just curious -
1. Do we have to get a new H1B visa stamp once change Citizenship to Canada (since your Indian passport is invalid, which had the last H1B stamp)
2. Do we also need an Amendment to the existing H1B I-129 petition?
I heard that Canadians (Non-Immigrant Intent with H1B Approval notice may not need an H1B Stamp/Foil Physically?)
Please let me know, thanks

kyra15734

Star Member
Dec 21, 2020
Just curious -
1. Do we have to get a new H1B visa stamp once change Citizenship to Canada (since your Indian passport is invalid, which had the last H1B stamp)
2. Do we also need an Amendment to the existing H1B I-129 petition?
I heard that Canadians (Non-Immigrant Intent with H1B Approval notice may not need an H1B Stamp/Foil Physically?)
Please let me know, thanks
I was able to enter the US with just my new Canadian passport and I-797 Notice of Approval. After I got through immigration, I checked my I-94 to ensure that I was admitted into the US on H-1B status, with my nationality set to Canada and my document number set to my new Canadian passport number. Do tell the immigration officer that you recently became a Canadian citizen, and are seeking entry into the US in H1B status. Note: I picked up my new passport the day before my flight. I didn't have a H1B visa stamp on my passport (I believe, a Canadian passport + i797 is all we need for subsequent entries too. But, do check with your immigration lawyer on this)

I was not asked for any other documents. However, I carried some additional docs like an employer's letter and recent paystubs (just in case, hehe)

and not sure about an amendment to I-129 :)

Reactions: coolak2007

fcbarcelona12

Jun 7, 2023
Hello my oath ceremony is on 15th of Jan, however I just moved this year to Quebec temporarily for my wife’s uni program. Do I let the IRCC know the change in address now or there is no need?

uy-scuti

Star Member
Apr 25, 2023
Anyone has explanation to why the delay for some applicant? Applied Dec 2022, waiting for LPP

Last edited: