+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DECEMBER 2021 *OUTLAND* Spousal Sponsorship

tanda04

Apr 23, 2022
Well this may be a test of whether it's a warsaw issue or a passport/nationality issue.

How do you figure? Canada can't discriminate on this basis (in some respects anyway, like criminal liability) once people are in the country. But it does get to decide who it lets in.

(Ever notice that nationals of some countries need visas and have to pay money, and others don't? Pure discrimination. Entirely legal.)
I always assumed the requirement of visa was a "being on the safe side" issue as in to decrease the chances of them overstaying their visas or staying her permanently.

I moved to Canada myself as a kid from a different country that requires visas and I know that when I ask people there, many of them wouldn't mind overstaying their visits if they can come here even once lol. It may be the economic disparity reasoning, I can't say for certain.

In any case, I'm quite proud to be a Canadian and it saddens me to hear about de-prioritization of Russian nationals. Historically speaking, this does happen every time but I'm always hopeful we have improved.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I always assumed the requirement of visa was a "being on the safe side" issue as in to decrease the chances of them overstaying their visas or staying her permanently.

I moved to Canada myself as a kid from a different country that requires visas and I know that when I ask people there, many of them wouldn't mind overstaying their visits if they can come here even once lol. It may be the economic disparity reasoning, I can't say for certain.

In any case, I'm quite proud to be a Canadian and it saddens me to hear about de-prioritization of Russian nationals. Historically speaking, this does happen every time but I'm always hopeful we have improved.
Okay, so first: I don't know if it's 'de-prioritization'. But ANY time they prefer (prioritize) one nation over another, it is discrimination. It is not against the law. ("Discrimination" has become this Very Bad Word, but at it's core, it means to distinguish between different things.) Canada can and very much does (generally) distinguish among and between Foreign Nationals (of different types) and Canadians (a category which includes permanent residents). As does every country on earth.

The key being - as with your example of your home country - that this is a difference in treatment based on nationality (nationality in the sense of citizenship/passport, not ethnicity). That's allowed. (They cannot do so based on some other categories - like race).

As for Russian nationals: my personal guess is that the biggest but not only driver of the delays is security. Unfortunately the Russian state makes rather broad use of its nationals not just for spying, but increasingly for outright violent acts, assassinations, and etc. So yep, security checks and the like for Russians are going to take a lot longer. Yep, it's unfair to all the other Russians, but the blame lies - or should lie - squarely on the state.

Last edited:
Reactions: tanda04

tanda04

Apr 23, 2022
Okay, so first: I don't know if it's 'de-prioritization'. But ANY time they prefer (prioritize) one nation over another, it is discrimination. It is not against the law. ("Discrimination" has become this Very Bad Word, but at it's core, it means to distinguish between different things.) Canada can and very much does (generally) distinguish among and between Foreign Nationals (of different types) and Canadians (a category which includes permanent residents). As does every country on earth.

The key being - as with your example of your home country - that this is a difference in treatment based on nationality. That's allowed. (They cannot do so based on some other categories - like race).

As for Russian nationals: my personal guess is that the biggest but not only driver of the delays is security. Unfortunately the Russian state makes rather broad use of its nationals not just for spying, but increasingly for outright violent acts, assassinations, and etc. So yep, security checks and the like for Russians are going to take a lot longer. Yep, it's unfair to all the other Russians, but the blame lies - or should lie - squarely on the state.
Makes sense. From what I can tell from my wife's application, it feels more like a backlog issue rather than discrimination issue. Since both eligibility and background haven't even started yet, I'm guessing they are too busy processing Ukrainian applications (understandable).

I did have a question though, should I make travel plans with her somewhere else soon? I stopped making travel plans thinking they'll ask for her passport soon but she is feeling quite sad and lonely. Or should I only travel to her home country (if I travel at all), that way she can send her passport when asked?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I did have a question though, should I make travel plans with her somewhere else soon? I stopped making travel plans thinking they'll ask for her passport soon but she is feeling quite sad and lonely. Or should I only travel to her home country (if I travel at all), that way she can send her passport when asked?
Has she applied for a TRV to Canada? Assuming you want to be together and the issue of work permit is not a concern, don't know why you wouldn't apply. (Obviously not a guarantee you'll get it...)

Otherwise: she can submit passport from any part of the world, at least where there's a VFS. But basically assume that once submitted, it will take 2-4 weeks, i.e. don't submit if you're someplace for jjust a week.

If she's in Canada (and if in Canada, change address on file with IRCC) when the passport rquest comes, they'll do it as a virtual landing. no idea how long that takes.

Reactions: TBDL and tanda04

tanda04

Apr 23, 2022
Has she applied for a TRV to Canada? Assuming you want to be together and the issue of work permit is not a concern, don't know why you wouldn't apply. (Obviously not a guarantee you'll get it...)

Otherwise: she can submit passport from any part of the world, at least where there's a VFS. But basically assume that once submitted, it will take 2-4 weeks, i.e. don't submit if you're someplace for jjust a week.

If she's in Canada (and if in Canada, change address on file with IRCC) when the passport rquest comes, they'll do it as a virtual landing. no idea how long that takes.
She did apply for TRV about 3 years ago but they declined saying she wouldn't return to her home country. I have no idea how they came to that judgment but she didn't try applying again. We weren't married back then (dont know if being married helps or not). She's not currently in Canada.

Thanks for the info about traveling though. She can travel to many countries without visa (or just an e-visa) so that's a good thing.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
She did apply for TRV about 3 years ago but they declined saying she wouldn't return to her home country. I have no idea how they came to that judgment but she didn't try applying again. We weren't married back then (dont know if being married helps or not). She's not currently in Canada.
She should try again. While being married to a Canadian is sometimes a negative, it can be a positive when the file is mostly already all decided (once review of file / approval in principle). Especially if she has now travelled a lot.

Also my theory is that sometimes it makes a bit extra work for an officer in a way that makes it easier for them to approve the PR (if it's only pending the final go-over) than to write up the TRV refusal. Of course, only a theory, but I've had some experience with bureaucracy.

Reactions: Mrs_spiritus

Portgas D. Ace

Star Member
Aug 5, 2022
Finally a big relief ☺ the nightmare is finally over for me and my husband. Today my application was approved thank God. We have been through a lot of stress and struggle, but it's all worth it in the end we will see each other again and begin our life together in Canada. I hope that everyone will be with the people they love as soon as possible. This is my timeline:
my visa office is Sydney and transferred to Paris (France).
-My application was received on : December 6,2021
-AOR : Mars 1,2022
-Medical Exam was completed on : May 8,2022
-Background verification was completed on : May 29,2022
-Eligibility status has been updated to complete on : June 1,2022
-Invitation to pre-arrival services was received on : June 2,2022
Everything was completed since June 2022.
**A lot of ghost updates , the last one was on November 30,2022.
- January 4,2023 we received the passeport request.
- January 5,2023 i upload ( the letter that I received and my passport and 2 pictures ) in VFS GLOBAL.
- January 9,2023 the decision has been made ( on GCKEY ) and approved.
- and Now they send me an email to collect my passport from the VFS GLOBAL in my country.
PS: the last update in the new tracker was on November 30,2022 no COPR number until now I think it still not updated in the system.

TBDL

Jul 17, 2021
Finally a big relief ☺ the nightmare is finally over for me and my husband. Today my application was approved thank God. We have been through a lot of stress and struggle, but it's all worth it in the end we will see each other again and begin our life together in Canada.
Awesome news. Congratulations!

• Love
Reactions: Portgas D. Ace

Mrs_spiritus

Mar 16, 2022
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Pretoria
It's so frustrating to see new applicants (may and beyond 2022) receive PPRs now while most of us Dec 2021 are still waiting... Most of those applications are being processed in Ottawa and Sydney, NDVO, Manila, etc... I'm not mad at the applicants but the system just sucks!
The IRCC released news on Dec 22 that they've somewhat regained control over the backlog (not sure I believe that) but they assured that they're now processing most family apps within the pre-pandemic norm: 12 months ... although the processing time page still shows 17 months.
In other words, my family has been beyond patient and still no end in site... Unfair system to say the least

valvlad

Feb 27, 2021
It's so frustrating to see new applicants (may and beyond 2022) receive PPRs now while most of us Dec 2021 are still waiting... Most of those applications are being processed in Ottawa and Sydney, NDVO, Manila, etc... I'm not mad at the applicants but the system just sucks!
The IRCC released news on Dec 22 that they've somewhat regained control over the backlog (not sure I believe that) but they assured that they're now processing most family apps within the pre-pandemic norm: 12 months ... although the processing time page still shows 17 months.
In other words, my family has been beyond patient and still no end in site... Unfair system to say the least
We applied Nov 2020, did PCCs 3 times and medical exam twice. So relax lol some people have it worse.... Husband passed medical Dec 7 and there has been silence since. Only PPR left!

Reactions: TBDL and armoured

Mrs_spiritus

Mar 16, 2022
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Pretoria
We applied Nov 2020, did PCCs 3 times and medical exam twice. So relax lol some people have it worse.... Husband passed medical Dec 7 and there has been silence since. Only PPR left!
Thanks for the input but I never said I got it worst or I was waiting longer than others. It's just a way to relieve some occasional tension... we're all allowed to do that here: that's why it's called a forum. If it's not your cup of tea, keep scrolling:)

Reactions: TBDL

tanda04

Apr 23, 2022
She should try again. While being married to a Canadian is sometimes a negative, it can be a positive when the file is mostly already all decided (once review of file / approval in principle). Especially if she has now travelled a lot.

Also my theory is that sometimes it makes a bit extra work for an officer in a way that makes it easier for them to approve the PR (if it's only pending the final go-over) than to write up the TRV refusal. Of course, only a theory, but I've had some experience with bureaucracy.
I finally received a response from my MP after they spoke with VO office:
  1. Application is at Warsaw Office.
  2. The current expected processing time for this application from the application date (December 15th, 2021) is 17 - 20 months (i.e. May 15th, 2021 the earliest).
  3. Eligibility: Not Started (for applicant)
  4. Criminality: Not Started (for applicant)
  5. Security: Not Started (for applicant)
  6. Medical: Passed (for applicant)
    • When the Medical assessment expires the officer will decide if the applicant needs to do a new medical exam or if the medical assessment can be extended.
I was going to apply for a visitor visa for my wife but saw that visitor visas are taking a long time for Kazakh citizens as well (similar to Eastern Europeans I suppose) and also the visitor visa applications are going to Warsaw as well. Now, I'm planning to visit her for a month (I can wfh).

Hope this helps anyone else who is stuck with Warsaw stuff. Highly disappointed with this whole delay in processing but trying to stay optimistic as much as we can.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I finally received a response from my MP after they spoke with VO office:
  1. Application is at Warsaw Office.
  2. The current expected processing time for this application from the application date (December 15th, 2021) is 17 - 20 months (i.e. May 15th, 2021 the earliest).
  3. Eligibility: Not Started (for applicant)
  4. Criminality: Not Started (for applicant)
  5. Security: Not Started (for applicant)
  6. Medical: Passed (for applicant)
    • When the Medical assessment expires the officer will decide if the applicant needs to do a new medical exam or if the medical assessment can be extended.
I was going to apply for a visitor visa for my wife but saw that visitor visas are taking a long time for Kazakh citizens as well (similar to Eastern Europeans I suppose) and also the visitor visa applications are going to Warsaw as well. Now, I'm planning to visit her for a month (I can wfh).

Hope this helps anyone else who is stuck with Warsaw stuff. Highly disappointed with this whole delay in processing but trying to stay optimistic as much as we can.
Would still suggest applying for visitor visa.

Reactions: tanda04