+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Days after 1st stage approval in H&C application

hurricane_loop

Star Member
May 7, 2017
yes, the physical Presence doesn't indicate anything, it only says to count half a day for authorized temporary residents and protected people.
but @Istikbalt confirmed that they accepted those days, not sure why mine is refused!
yes so that's why I came here to check, as I remember I found this group already mentioned that they count those AIP days, but they might change the rules now.

Me2020

Oct 15, 2020
HI everyone,
So, back to this question. I called the immigration and ask my lawyer. They both confirmed days won't be counted from stage 1 approval. Days towards the citizenship are counted from the day you got the PR confirmation.

Let me know if any had a successful experience

Growing pains

Apr 3, 2020
Hello everyone, I’m here for the same question.I asked a lawyer about this and I was told days before Pr won’t count.I also called IRCc but i didn’t get a satisfactory answer.But if @Istikbalt was able to get her’s counted,then why was hurricane_loop refused. Really worried about this as I will soon be eligible to apply.
Anybody with updates should please share,
Thanks

Growing pains

Apr 3, 2020
@scylla can you please help answer this.
Thanks
Hello everyone, I’m here for the same question.I asked a lawyer about this and I was told days before Pr won’t count.I also called IRCc but i didn’t get a satisfactory answer.But if @Istikbalt was able to get her’s counted,then why was hurricane_loop refused. Really worried about this as I will soon be eligible to apply.
Anybody with updates should please share,
Thanks

Yuki.03

Nov 30, 2020
GTA
LANDED..........
07-01-2021
@scylla can you please help answer this.
Thanks
Each day spent in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person within the last 5 years counts as one half day when you calculate your physical presence. You can use a maximum of 365 days (1 year) as a temporary resident or protected person toward your time spent in Canada.

A temporary resident is someone who is authorized to enter or stay in Canada as a:

• visitor
  • student
  • worker or
  • temporary resident permit holder
A protected person is someone who:

• was found to be in need of protection or a convention refugee by the Immigration and Refugee Board or
  • received a positive decision on a Pre-Removal Risk Assessment from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
the remaining 2 out of the 3 years must be when you have PR status OR YOU APPLY 3 YEARS after becoming PR...

Growing pains

Apr 3, 2020
Each day spent in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person within the last 5 years counts as one half day when you calculate your physical presence. You can use a maximum of 365 days (1 year) as a temporary resident or protected person toward your time spent in Canada.

A temporary resident is someone who is authorized to enter or stay in Canada as a:

• visitor
  • student
  • worker or
  • temporary resident permit holder
A protected person is someone who:

• was found to be in need of protection or a convention refugee by the Immigration and Refugee Board or
  • received a positive decision on a Pre-Removal Risk Assessment from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.
the remaining 2 out of the 3 years must be when you have PR status OR YOU APPLY 3 YEARS after becoming PR...
Hi there,thank you so much for answering.Just to clarify,so time from first stage of H&C approval counts eh? I have called IRCc couple of times but they don’t seem to know. A member here mentioned he got refused for counting time before PR.I assume once you have status you’re a resident or nah‍♂ I remember when I got approved,my lawyer told me I’m now a ‘foreign national’ Not sure if that means temporary residence.

Yuki.03

Nov 30, 2020
GTA
LANDED..........
07-01-2021
Hi there,thank you so much for answering.Just to clarify,so time from first stage of H&C approval counts eh? I have called IRCc couple of times but they don’t seem to know. A member here mentioned he got refused for counting time before PR.I assume once you have status you’re a resident or nah‍♂ I remember when I got approved,my lawyer told me I’m now a ‘foreign national’ Not sure if that means temporary residence.
foreign national means a person who is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, and includes a stateless person. some one on vistor visa, study or work permit is a temporay resident not you. the only days that are counted as half days are days that you are visitor, protected person, international student, temp worker, temp worker permit holder. If you don't fall under any of those categories your days are not counted. You will just have to be PR for 3 years then apply for citizenship. AGAIN THESE ARE THE ONLY STATUS/CATEGORY to choose from when doing physical presence towards citizenship. so anything else no it can't be counted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Growing pains

Growing pains

Apr 3, 2020
foreign national means a person who is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, and includes a stateless person. the only days that are counted as half days are days that you are visitor, protected person, international student, temp worker, temp worker permit holder. If don't fall under any of those categories you days arent counted. you just have to be pr for 3 years then apply for citizenship
Ok thank you! But in what category does AIP fall in?if people can apply for healthcard and stuff with AIP,shouldn’t that mean they have status?Anyway will have to wait additional 2 months then.Thanks for answering my questions. :)

Yuki.03

Nov 30, 2020
GTA
LANDED..........
07-01-2021
Ok thank you! But in what category does AIP fall in?if people can apply for healthcard and stuff with AIP,shouldn’t that mean they have status?Anyway will have to wait additional 2 months then.Thanks for answering my questions. :)
some of those people were/are workers or international students originally and then applied for AIP while still having those temporary resident statuses , so they used some of those days from when they had that status as a student, work permit holder.

Last edited:

Growing pains

Apr 3, 2020
some of those people were/are workers or international students originally and then applied for AIP while still having those temporary resident staus , so they used some of those days from when they had that status as a student, work permit holder.
Oh I see! Thanks for clarifying! I was really hoping to apply soon but I can’t since those days don’t count Again,thank you!