+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Day Trip to US to Extend Visitor Entry

MattFS218

Apr 2, 2016
My spouse has a Thailand passport and my son has an American passport. Can we go for a day/shopping visit in the US, to extend/renew their visitor entry into Canada? They need an additional 45 days before they will fly back to Thailand. The Thai passport holder has a multiple entry tourist visa for Canada AND an immigrant visa (family class) for Canada, however she does not want to "land" until April 2022, when she returns from Thailand.

What grounds would they have for refusing the a visitor visa entry back into Canada? I'm trying to save the $100/pp visitor extension application fee.

Is there likely to be a problem returning to Canada after a few hours shopping trip to the USA? We already have rapid covid tests scheduled, and they both have USNIVs.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My spouse has a Thailand passport and my son has an American passport. Can we go for a day/shopping visit in the US, to extend/renew their visitor entry into Canada? They need an additional 45 days before they will fly back to Thailand. The Thai passport holder has a multiple entry tourist visa for Canada AND an immigrant visa (family class) for Canada, however she does not want to "land" until April 2022, when she returns from Thailand.

What grounds would they have for refusing the a visitor visa entry back into Canada? I'm trying to save the $100/pp visitor extension application fee.

Is there likely to be a problem returning to Canada after a few hours shopping trip to the USA? We already have rapid covid tests scheduled, and they both have USNIVs.
Rapid tests aren’t accepted. You need as per Canada website.

Accepted types of molecular tests
  • PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
  • Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)
These tests use methods such as a nasopharyngeal (NP) swab, nose swab, or saliva sample.
  • Rapid antigen tests aren't accepted
PCR tests usually take 24 hours so you wouldn’t be saving any money.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#pre-entry-testing

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

They will need to take molecular PCR tests in order to be allowed back into Canada. The rapid test is only accepted for entry into the US, not for re-entry into Canada. You fall under the 72 hour rule as a Canadian but they do not. Molecular tests are hard to get right now and results can take a number of days (plan on at least 2 days but could be more). They will need to take this test in the US so a trip of a few hours isn't feasible. The molecular test is also expensive (likely around $200 each based on my research for a planned trip). So what you save on the visa fee you will more than spend on the test.

Overall, this isn't a great plan and there are a number of places where things could go wrong. Additionally, CBSA generally isn't a fan of this and you may find they don't actually extend their stay but allow them back in based on the original length of their allowed visit. So you may still end up having to apply for the extension.

IMO - Spend the money and apply for an extension from within Canada.

Reactions: canuck78