+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Date you came to live in Canada

HeisenbergCanada

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Appreciate your advise!

My wife and I are compiling our documents to submit in the first week of February. Just that we have a slight confusion on what dates we should put in the form.

- The date we became a permanent resident = April 15, 2011

We then returned to UAE on April 28, 2011 (After completing our landing formalities)

- Returned to Toronto on Jan 20, 2012.

Which date should be put under "Date you came to live in Canada" ?

Thanks guys

kumbu.bumbu

Jan 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2014
HeisenbergCanada said:
Appreciate your advise!

My wife and I are compiling our documents to submit in the first week of February. Just that we have a slight confusion on what dates we should put in the form.

- The date we became a permanent resident = April 15, 2011

We then returned to UAE on April 28, 2011 (After completing our landing formalities)

- Returned to Toronto on Jan 20, 2012.

Which date should be put under "Date you came to live in Canada" ?

Thanks guys
I got confused on that part when I filled my application.

Date you came to live in Canada is for the applicants who came to Canada by other visas than PR. Like work permit. They came to Canada before they became PRs. Then they became PRs. This is for calculating 1/2 days.

For you both you(Unless you were here before landing) became PR and the date you came to live in Canada is the same. i.e. April 15, 2011.

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HeisenbergCanada said:
Which date should be put under "Date you came to live in Canada"?
April 15, 2011.
When you went back to UAE it's only a time off or vacation you took to settle some issues.

plus

Star Member
Nov 16, 2014
awesome kumbu, you explained it well

Thanks
Plus

kumbu.bumbu said:
I got confused on that part when I filled my application.

Date you came to live in Canada is for the applicants who came to Canada by other visas than PR. Like work permit. They came to Canada before they became PRs. Then they became PRs. This is for calculating 1/2 days.

For you both you(Unless you were here before landing) became PR and the date you came to live in Canada is the same. i.e. April 15, 2011.

pegasusyt

Nov 27, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-08-2011
File Transfer...
24-11-2011
Med's Done....
22-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2011
LANDED..........
30-12-2011
Yeah exactly. Like I got PR in December 2011 but from March-December 2011 I was on a visitor visa. So the date I came to Canada to live was in March. That's how I interpreted it. Good luck!

shahmad

Star Member
Jan 12, 2015
pegasusyt said:
Yeah exactly. Like I got PR in December 2011 but from March-December 2011 I was on a visitor visa. So the date I came to Canada to live was in March. That's how I interpreted it. Good luck!
My wife came to Canada as a visitor in MAY 2014, in the meantime her spousal application was under process from UAE, ABU DHABI as she was a UAE RESIDENT. she went back to UAE in Oct 2014 to collect her Immigrant Visa and landed in Canada as Permanent Resident in NOV 2014.

Now the question is, a visitor can not come to live in Canada because you are only visiting the country and should not have any intention to live there. So, you can only live in Canada (or any country) once you become a resident of that country. With this understanding, if asked " When did you come to live in Canada?" Shouldn't it be NOV 2014? ......... if the question is " When did you first visit/came to Canada??? ...then then answer should be May 2014.

This is what I understand, please correct me if I am wrong.

Many thanks !!

alexdive

Aug 19, 2014
Calgary
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
oct 23, 2014
LANDED..........
12-01-2012
What is the residence requirement?
To be eligible for Canadian citizenship, you must have lived in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) out of the four years (1,460 days) preceding your application. Please note that you cannot meet the residence requirements for citizenship without a minimum of two (2) years as a permanent resident.

When calculating your time in Canada:

only the four (4) years preceding the date of your application are taken into account;
each day you lived in Canada before you became a permanent resident counts as half a day;
each day you lived in Canada after you became a permanent resident counts as one day;
time spent serving a sentence for an offence in Canada (e.g. prison, penitentiary, jail, reformatory, conditional sentence, probation and/or parole) cannot be counted toward residence - there are some exceptions to this rule;
absences from Canada may have an impact on your residence. Only a citizenship judge can determine if you meet the residence requirements with fewer than 1,095 days of physical presence.
In order to help you decide when to apply, the residence calculator does three different calculations:

basic residence,
basic residence taking into account time spent serving a sentence, and
physical presence.

https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do?&lang=en&_ga=1.248788231.103733214.1420345374