+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Date on Citizenship certificate?

issteven

Jan 2, 2014
Is there a date on the citizenship certificate? is that the date you take the oath? I'm asking because I'm going to sign my passport application form tomorrow and wait for my certificate (took oath today). Will that be a problem if I date the passport application form before receiving the certificate?

Reactions: rubz9911

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Is there a date on the citizenship certificate? is that the date you take the oath? I'm asking because I'm going to sign my passport application form tomorrow and wait for my certificate (took oath today). Will that be a problem if I date the passport application form before receiving the certificate?
There is a date on the certificate and that date is supposed to be the "Effective Date of Citizenship" which would be the same as the date you took your oath of citizenship.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/proof-citizenship/documents.html#_The_citizenship_certificate

A citizenship certificate is an 8½ x 11-inch paper document that proves your Canadian citizenship. It has:

• the certificate number
  • your family name and given name(s)
  • your date of birth
  • your gender (male, female, or another gender)
  • the effective date of citizenship
I don't think it'll be a problem if you simply fill your passport application before you receive your citizenship certificate. For me, applying for a passport is still a slightly distant dream but if I were you, I'd do the same thing. I'll prepare the passport application, fill in the information of references, get the application and the photos filled/signed by guarantor and keep it all ready. Once I get the Citizenship certificate, I'll quickly scan it and send the passport application on the same day as I receive the certificate.

Bitologue

Mar 3, 2021
Hi did you finally get your certification ??