+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Date of separation/divorce in application for PR

ValeriaS

Sep 19, 2019
Quebec
Hi!
I am in QC and applied for a closed work permit and I showed "date" since I consider that I am living separately from my ex-husband. For example, June 1, 2019.
My lawyer told me that if I consider that this is a relationship breakdown, I can show it even if I don't have a separation agreement. (I don't).
(I moved out at May 31, 2019 and June 1, 2019 we met and we decided that relationship is over).
So my current marital status in the visa application is `Legally separated` and `The previous status`: Married from XXXX till June 1, 2019.

I will apply for a divorce soon. I supposed we will make a Joint Agreement. Well, the questions are:
- Is this ok that I don't have a separation agreement, but I showed that I am legally separated? I am still waiting for my new visa and a bit worry.
- When I will be divorced, for my future PR application I should show `Divorced`, but `Previous status`: Married from XXX till June 1, 2019 OR till the date of official divorce?
(I think everything should be consistent, no?)
- What if the court decided that my separation date not June 1, but something else (May 31?), should I notify IRCC? (This is a very theoretical scenario, just want to be sure, I've never experienced divorce and I don't know how it works.)

Thank you for answers!

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi!
I am in QC and applied for a closed work permit and I showed "date" since I consider that I am living separately from my ex-husband. For example, June 1, 2019.
My lawyer told me that if I consider that this is a relationship breakdown, I can show it even if I don't have a separation agreement. (I don't).
(I moved out at May 31, 2019 and June 1, 2019 we met and we decided that relationship is over).
So my current marital status in the visa application is `Legally separated` and `The previous status`: Married from XXXX till June 1, 2019.

I will apply for a divorce soon. I supposed we will make a Joint Agreement. Well, the questions are:
- Is this ok that I don't have a separation agreement, but I showed that I am legally separated? I am still waiting for my new visa and a bit worry.
- When I will be divorced, for my future PR application I should show `Divorced`, but `Previous status`: Married from XXX till June 1, 2019 OR till the date of official divorce?
(I think everything should be consistent, no?)
- What if the court decided that my separation date not June 1, but something else (May 31?), should I notify IRCC? (This is a very theoretical scenario, just want to be sure, I've never experienced divorce and I don't know how it works.)

Thank you for answers!
You don't need an agreement to be legally separated.

You can put the previous statuses just as you are putting them now, married for XX, separated for XX, divorced for XX.

No, you don't need to notify IRCC.

Reactions: ValeriaS

ValeriaS

Sep 19, 2019
Quebec
Thank you, @canuck_in_uk!
One more thing to clarify:
Even if during divorce my separation date will a bit (for few days) changed, and I will show this day in my PR application - IRCC will not consider that I lied in previous?
I think that anyway divorce date will be more important!
I read a lot of bad stories here on forum and now I am afraid of everything.
I hope that, anyway, we will agreed on correct date for both of us with my ex, just want to be prepare.

Thank you so much!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you, @canuck_in_uk!
One more thing to clarify:
Even if during divorce my separation date will a bit (for few days) changed, and I will show this day in my PR application - IRCC will not consider that I lied in previous?
I think that anyway divorce date will be more important!
I read a lot of bad stories here on forum and now I am afraid of everything.
I hope that, anyway, we will agreed on correct date for both of us with my ex, just want to be prepare.

Thank you so much!
If it's different and you are worried, you can include a letter of explanation. It won't matter.

Reactions: ValeriaS

VishalPK

Jun 12, 2019
Hi Friends,

I applied for Express Entry as primary applicant and added my wife to the application. We are Indians & applying from India. I submitted my application in Dec 2020, paid our fees, completed our Biometrics. The status today shows that the documents are being reviewed and I expect us to receive next notification to submit passport anytime possible.

However due to change in circumstances, my wife and I have yet to start with the divorce proceedings as she doesn't wish to continue the marriage and she is not interested to continue with the PR application. So, I do not have any documents to share today with IRCC regarding change of marital status. Some of my queries in this situation are -

a) what kind of separation documents will suffice IRCC to resume my application on an individual level?
a) If we are asked for passport submission before I'm able to provide any separation documents, what must I do?
b) If she is eventually deleted from the application, will I enter into the pool all over again and my score will be re-assessed for future draws to give an ITA, or since I already received an ITA in the past with a qualifying score & without my wife my score is higher, my application will simply continue further?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Will help me to take necessary actions quickly.