+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Date of becoming a naturalized citizen

ozt

Jun 7, 2018
Hello all,

My girlfriend who is a naturalized citizen since 2011 is applying to sponsor me as her common-law partner.

In the IMM1344 form (Application to sponsor, sponsorship agreement and undertaking), once choosing my girlfriend is a naturalized citizen it asks for the date she became a citizen. On her citizenship card the date only mentions the year 2011 but the form asks for the exact date.

I saw some posts suggesting replacing of the card to a new certificate which will have the date or requesting her record but both will cause a huge delay. Any ideas if there's a faster way to get it, or if it's enough to just put the year?

Thanks,
Oz

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There should a letter attached with the card showing the date she became citizen.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Not sure about this specific form but many immigration forms need to be validated after completion before a bar code is generated so entering just the year may not pass the Adobe PDF validation.

ozt

Jun 7, 2018
Not sure about this specific form but many immigration forms need to be validated after completion before a bar code is generated so entering just the year may not pass the Adobe PDF validation.
Exactly, And as long as I don't have the exact date I can't validate the form.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Exactly, And as long as I don't have the exact date I can't validate the form.
Does she at least remember the month? She can guess a date and explain on a separate sheet that she no longer has any documentation regarding when she became a citizen. I would suggest she keep better records in future, as that is a pretty imporant thing.

ozt

Jun 7, 2018
She came to Canada with her parents when she was 9. Unfortunately her dad didn't think the letter that the citizenship card came with is important to keep and all they remember is the year that is mentioned on the card. I'll try to call to the IRCC support center, maybe they'll be able to guide us to an easier way to obtain it.

Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
She came to Canada with her parents when she was 9. Unfortunately her dad didn't think the letter that the citizenship card came with is important to keep and all they remember is the year that is mentioned on the card. I'll try to call to the IRCC support center, maybe they'll be able to guide us to an easier way to obtain it.

Thanks!
There really is no fast way to get it. The processing times for VOS or a search of citizenship records are many months.

It is not an issue for the app. Just do as I said previously and include a letter of explanation. This has happened before and was not an issue.

ozt

Jun 7, 2018
I called the support center and the agent gave us the exact date very fast, it was just a hassle calling multiple times and waiting till we got to her.

Thank you for all your help!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I called the support center and the agent gave us the exact date very fast, it was just a hassle calling multiple times and waiting till we got to her.

Thank you for all your help!
That's good.

Reactions: ozt

DTdude

Sep 3, 2019
May I know which support centre you called to obtain the exact date? I'm facing the same issue. I'm trying to sponsor my common law partner but I only have the year but not the date. I'm calling from overseas so any help would be super welcome!