+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Data Point] U-turn Soft Landing under COVID at Peace Arch - Dec 29th, 2020

Jan 22, 2021
Reposting to this forum.

First of all, I would like to thank this forum and all those who shared soft landing experience under COVID restriction. After reading through multiple successful experience in this forum, we decided to do ours at Peace Arch by land. My approval date is BEFORE March 2019.

We traveled from Bay Area via I-5. Due to COVID, we didn't plan any shopping / sightseeing in this trip. We completed the U-turn soft landing in 3 days.

Day 1: Bay Area to South Portland
Day 2: South Portland to Peach Arch and back to the same hotel.
Day 3: South Portland to Bay Area.

Landing experience:

Canada Side:

Officer1: Why are you here?
Me: We are here to complete the landing step for Canada PR.
Officer1: Are you permanently today?
Me: No. We would like to return to the U.S.
Officer1: When do you plan to go back to the U.S.?
Me: We would like to return to U.S. today if possible.
(I have filled out ArriveCAN app to indicate quarantining in a hotel in Vancouver)
Officer1: What is this hotel address for?
Me: We have made a quarantine plan in case U turn is not an option for landing. But we would prefer to go back today if possible.
Officer1: Sounds good. Welcome to Canada! Please drive ahead and poll over by the stop sign. The officer over there will guide you to next step.

<Drive ahead, parked as instructed, directed into the building for the landing process>

Officer2: Please hand over your documents. Are you moving permanently today?
Me: No. Can we return to U.S. today without quarantining?
Officer2: Yes. I will should you the way after we finish. <working on her computer> When do you plan to move?
Me: Maybe Fall 2021, after Vaccine rollout completes.
Officer2: Oh, Vaccine.. Do you have the list of goods to follow?
Me: No. Since things are still changing, we are not sure what to bring yet.
Officer2: That's fine. You need to submit the list within 1 year from today. After that you cannot bring your belongings tax free. Please initial and sign here.
Me: <Initialing and Signing CoPR>
Officer2: In case you want to import your car, this is the information you need. You will also need to export it from the U.S. side first which typically takes 3 days. <Handed me a print out for car imports> Do you have a Canadian address?
Me: Yes. <Gave friend's address, no question asked>
Officer2: I saw a few U.S. address of yours in the system. Are they still valid?
Me: <After checking> No, they are old addresses. I moved. Do you need the current address?
Officer2: No. Your PR card will be sent to your Canadian address. Is that ok? <No sure if she can send it to my U.S. address if I didn't move>
Me: Sure.
Officer2: <after working on the computer and stamping the document> This is your copy (of CoPR). You can use this to come back to Canada before receiving the card. I will show you the way for U turn. Follow me.

<U turned and at U.S. border>

U.S. Officer: What brings you here?
Me: I came for landing of Canada PR.
U.S. Officer: Did you get turned back from the Canada side?
Me: Yes, I completed the landing process and told them I want to come back the same day.
U.S. Officer: Oh, PR. <Looked at the visa and passport> You are good to go.

Additional information about myself and the trip:
1. My wife and I take turns for the road trip. We spent about 10 hours / day on road.
2. Weather on I-5 was sunny on the way north. On the way back there was light snow near Oregon / California border. No chain used but carrying one is required.
3. We stayed at a hotel to the south of Portland with direct access to room from parking lot to minimize contact with other people.
4. We are on L1/L2 status in U.S. and both have valid visa.

Hope this post will help other people that are deciding. We feel this plan has minimized the COVID risk on road for ourselves and others while getting the landing done before it expires.
Thank You for this very informative post @OolongLikeALittlePuppy!

I am new to this forum and just discovered the possibility of using AVR to do a soft landing at US-Canada border.

Here is my situation:
I currently hold a valid CoPR which expires on Feb 25th, 2021.
I am a H1B holder with I94 validity until March 31st, 2021. My H1B extension process is currently in progress to extend my H1B's validity beyond 31st March.
I last entered exited and entered US in Dec, 2017 and as a consequence do not have a stamped H1B at this time.

As I read through your post, I figured i could maybe do a soft landing in Canada before Feb 25th myself.
The plan is to follow along your footsteps and drive my car all the way from Los Angeles to Peace Arch(Pacific Highway Crossing -Blaine) port of entry between Feb 20th and 21st. Alternatively, i could fly to Seattle first, then rent a car for a day and drive to Peace Arch in the rental vehicle. I then intend to drive back to the US on the same day if possible. If not, i'll make provisions to stay put in Canada until the testing and quarantine formalities are attended to, if any.

Given that my current H1B is not stamped and is set to expire as early as March 31st 2021, am I still good to execute the soft landing plan without running into any issues when returning back to the US?

Also, are you aware of any new COVID testing formalities before and after entering the Canadian port of entry, akin to the testing rules now in place for passengers traveling by air?

Thanks so much for your inputs on this matter!

Aug 10, 2018
Thank You for this very informative post @OolongLikeALittlePuppy!

I am new to this forum and just discovered the possibility of using AVR to do a soft landing at US-Canada border.

Here is my situation:
I currently hold a valid CoPR which expires on Feb 25th, 2021.
I am a H1B holder with I94 validity until March 31st, 2021. My H1B extension process is currently in progress to extend my H1B's validity beyond 31st March.
I last entered exited and entered US in Dec, 2017 and as a consequence do not have a stamped H1B at this time.

As I read through your post, I figured i could maybe do a soft landing in Canada before Feb 25th myself.
The plan is to follow along your footsteps and drive my car all the way from Los Angeles to Peace Arch(Pacific Highway Crossing -Blaine) port of entry between Feb 20th and 21st. Alternatively, i could fly to Seattle first, then rent a car for a day and drive to Peace Arch in the rental vehicle. I then intend to drive back to the US on the same day if possible. If not, i'll make provisions to stay put in Canada until the testing and quarantine formalities are attended to, if any.

Given that my current H1B is not stamped and is set to expire as early as March 31st 2021, am I still good to execute the soft landing plan without running into any issues when returning back to the US?

Also, are you aware of any new COVID testing formalities before and after entering the Canadian port of entry, akin to the testing rules now in place for passengers traveling by air?

Thanks so much for your inputs on this matter!
Things are changing rapidly these days. I would recommend to follow cic website closely on the rules for requirements to enter.

regarding avr the important part is to keep the documents that show you have valid status in US with you.

Jan 22, 2021
Things are changing rapidly these days. I would recommend to follow cic website closely on the rules for requirements to enter.

regarding avr the important part is to keep the documents that show you have valid status in US with you.
Thank you for the response @OolongLikeALittlePuppy

I'll keep a tab on cic's website for the latest entry requirements.

The AVR part I understand can be pulled off if I have all the requisite H1B approval notices, LCA, payslips etc. Will be ready with the documentation.

Thanks!

adityacs007

Star Member
Jun 13, 2019
I am guessing that they have updated the app to ask you that. Or I forgot about that question. Just answer yes when you get home. I did perform a self quarantine at home for the same 14 days in the U.S. I did keep monitoring my own health and reporting to the apps everyday for 14 days. Of course, nothing happened to me in my case and after 14 days it will stop asking.
Hi, Did you get any calls from officer? I recently had to return to US after 3 days in quarantine because kid got ear infection. I am wondering if I will be reported. In my opinion, if your ArriveCAN is activated you will be followed up. What address did you have in ArriveCAN app?

Last edited:

adityacs007

Star Member
Jun 13, 2019
@OolongLikeALittlePuppy: Thank you for your reply. I did answer yes and the app asks daily if you have any symptoms or no. They should build an option asking if you have left Canada, as leaving Canada during quarantine is also allowed.
Did you get any calls from Canada to check if you are quarantined? Also, what address of quarantine did you put in ArriveCAN app?

Last edited:

adityacs007

Star Member
Jun 13, 2019
Reposting to this forum.

First of all, I would like to thank this forum and all those who shared soft landing experience under COVID restriction. After reading through multiple successful experience in this forum, we decided to do ours at Peace Arch by land. My approval date is BEFORE March 2019.

We traveled from Bay Area via I-5. Due to COVID, we didn't plan any shopping / sightseeing in this trip. We completed the U-turn soft landing in 3 days.

Day 1: Bay Area to South Portland
Day 2: South Portland to Peach Arch and back to the same hotel.
Day 3: South Portland to Bay Area.

Landing experience:

Canada Side:

Officer1: Why are you here?
Me: We are here to complete the landing step for Canada PR.
Officer1: Are you permanently today?
Me: No. We would like to return to the U.S.
Officer1: When do you plan to go back to the U.S.?
Me: We would like to return to U.S. today if possible.
(I have filled out ArriveCAN app to indicate quarantining in a hotel in Vancouver)
Officer1: What is this hotel address for?
Me: We have made a quarantine plan in case U turn is not an option for landing. But we would prefer to go back today if possible.
Officer1: Sounds good. Welcome to Canada! Please drive ahead and poll over by the stop sign. The officer over there will guide you to next step.

<Drive ahead, parked as instructed, directed into the building for the landing process>

Officer2: Please hand over your documents. Are you moving permanently today?
Me: No. Can we return to U.S. today without quarantining?
Officer2: Yes. I will should you the way after we finish. <working on her computer> When do you plan to move?
Me: Maybe Fall 2021, after Vaccine rollout completes.
Officer2: Oh, Vaccine.. Do you have the list of goods to follow?
Me: No. Since things are still changing, we are not sure what to bring yet.
Officer2: That's fine. You need to submit the list within 1 year from today. After that you cannot bring your belongings tax free. Please initial and sign here.
Me: <Initialing and Signing CoPR>
Officer2: In case you want to import your car, this is the information you need. You will also need to export it from the U.S. side first which typically takes 3 days. <Handed me a print out for car imports> Do you have a Canadian address?
Me: Yes. <Gave friend's address, no question asked>
Officer2: I saw a few U.S. address of yours in the system. Are they still valid?
Me: <After checking> No, they are old addresses. I moved. Do you need the current address?
Officer2: No. Your PR card will be sent to your Canadian address. Is that ok? <No sure if she can send it to my U.S. address if I didn't move>
Me: Sure.
Officer2: <after working on the computer and stamping the document> This is your copy (of CoPR). You can use this to come back to Canada before receiving the card. I will show you the way for U turn. Follow me.

<U turned and at U.S. border>

U.S. Officer: What brings you here?
Me: I came for landing of Canada PR.
U.S. Officer: Did you get turned back from the Canada side?
Me: Yes, I completed the landing process and told them I want to come back the same day.
U.S. Officer: Oh, PR. <Looked at the visa and passport> You are good to go.

Additional information about myself and the trip:
1. My wife and I take turns for the road trip. We spent about 10 hours / day on road.
2. Weather on I-5 was sunny on the way north. On the way back there was light snow near Oregon / California border. No chain used but carrying one is required.
3. We stayed at a hotel to the south of Portland with direct access to room from parking lot to minimize contact with other people.
4. We are on L1/L2 status in U.S. and both have valid visa.

Hope this post will help other people that are deciding. We feel this plan has minimized the COVID risk on road for ourselves and others while getting the landing done before it expires.
Did officer take any pictures for PR card? In another thread, I think for in-land people, they mentioned some kind of pictures taken. Nothing of this sort happened with me.

mnsan81

Feb 28, 2021
Hi All,

Please help me on below questions : I am planning to cross Peace Bridge in 3rd week of May 2021.

1. PCR test is required for soft landing or come back on same day to USA?
2. Quarantine plan is required if i plan to return on same day?
3. PCR test is required while coming back from canada to usa by land in peace bridge?
4. document checklist for PR verification by land travel

Thanks in advance!
Thanks.

adityacs007

Star Member
Jun 13, 2019
PCR test is required. They probably won't allow soft landing, so say you will quarantine and show them the booking. Show COPR, passport, bank statements. Take a u turn regardless.

No PCR at USA post.

mnsan81

Feb 28, 2021
PCR test is required. They probably won't allow soft landing, so say you will quarantine and show them the booking. Show COPR, passport, bank statements. Take a u turn regardless.

No PCR at USA post.
Thanks for your reply , Do I need to fill details in Arivecan app if i want to return back to USA on same day? and show any documents related to Arrivecan app at entrance?

Thanks.

adityacs007

Star Member
Jun 13, 2019
Yes. Fill out ArriveCAN, if you don't, the officer will fill it for you. You will get calls after you return to US. Tell them you left Canada. Apparently you only need to quarantine if you are in Canada. There is a clause in the rule that allows you to leave Canada if you can leave without contacting anyone, which you are.

mnsan81

Feb 28, 2021
Yes. Fill out ArriveCAN, if you don't, the officer will fill it for you. You will get calls after you return to US. Tell them you left Canada. Apparently you only need to quarantine if you are in Canada. There is a clause in the rule that allows you to leave Canada if you can leave without contacting anyone, which you are.
Thank you , Please let me know if we can get rental car with Canada registration for travel? . Please suggest some options for rental car.

sowsiv

Star Member
Nov 30, 2020
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-06-2020
AOR Received.
18-06-2020
Passport Req..
19-11-2020
thank you aditya for this point. I will keep a note of it. when you said above take a uturn regardless, do you think officers would keep an eye on us outside on where we are going?

Reactions: Gpsthind

mnsan81

Feb 28, 2021
Thank you , Please let me know if we can get rental car with Canada registration for travel? . Please suggest some options for rental car.
Hi Aditya, Please give some suggestions for rental car. Do we need to take rental car for 14 days if i want to take U-turn ? and registration of the rental Car?

Thanks.

@adityacs007
Hi Aditya, Please give some suggestions for rental car. Do we need to take rental car for 14 days if i want to take U-turn ? and registration of the rental Car?

Thanks.

Last edited: