+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Data Point] U-turn Soft Landing under COVID at Peace Arch - Dec 29th, 2020

Aug 10, 2018
Reposting to this forum.

First of all, I would like to thank this forum and all those who shared soft landing experience under COVID restriction. After reading through multiple successful experience in this forum, we decided to do ours at Peace Arch by land. My approval date is BEFORE March 2019.

We traveled from Bay Area via I-5. Due to COVID, we didn't plan any shopping / sightseeing in this trip. We completed the U-turn soft landing in 3 days.

Day 1: Bay Area to South Portland
Day 2: South Portland to Peach Arch and back to the same hotel.
Day 3: South Portland to Bay Area.

Landing experience:

Canada Side:

Officer1: Why are you here?
Me: We are here to complete the landing step for Canada PR.
Officer1: Are you permanently today?
Me: No. We would like to return to the U.S.
Officer1: When do you plan to go back to the U.S.?
Me: We would like to return to U.S. today if possible.
(I have filled out ArriveCAN app to indicate quarantining in a hotel in Vancouver)
Officer1: What is this hotel address for?
Me: We have made a quarantine plan in case U turn is not an option for landing. But we would prefer to go back today if possible.
Officer1: Sounds good. Welcome to Canada! Please drive ahead and poll over by the stop sign. The officer over there will guide you to next step.

<Drive ahead, parked as instructed, directed into the building for the landing process>

Officer2: Please hand over your documents. Are you moving permanently today?
Me: No. Can we return to U.S. today without quarantining?
Officer2: Yes. I will should you the way after we finish. <working on her computer> When do you plan to move?
Me: Maybe Fall 2021, after Vaccine rollout completes.
Officer2: Oh, Vaccine.. Do you have the list of goods to follow?
Me: No. Since things are still changing, we are not sure what to bring yet.
Officer2: That's fine. You need to submit the list within 1 year from today. After that you cannot bring your belongings tax free. Please initial and sign here.
Me: <Initialing and Signing CoPR>
Officer2: In case you want to import your car, this is the information you need. You will also need to export it from the U.S. side first which typically takes 3 days. <Handed me a print out for car imports> Do you have a Canadian address?
Me: Yes. <Gave friend's address, no question asked>
Officer2: I saw a few U.S. address of yours in the system. Are they still valid?
Me: <After checking> No, they are old addresses. I moved. Do you need the current address?
Officer2: No. Your PR card will be sent to your Canadian address. Is that ok? <No sure if she can send it to my U.S. address if I didn't move>
Me: Sure.
Officer2: <after working on the computer and stamping the document> This is your copy (of CoPR). You can use this to come back to Canada before receiving the card. I will show you the way for U turn. Follow me.

<U turned and at U.S. border>

U.S. Officer: What brings you here?
Me: I came for landing of Canada PR.
U.S. Officer: Did you get turned back from the Canada side?
Me: Yes, I completed the landing process and told them I want to come back the same day.
U.S. Officer: Oh, PR. <Looked at the visa and passport> You are good to go.

Additional information about myself and the trip:
1. My wife and I take turns for the road trip. We spent about 10 hours / day on road.
2. Weather on I-5 was sunny on the way north. On the way back there was light snow near Oregon / California border. No chain used but carrying one is required.
3. We stayed at a hotel to the south of Portland with direct access to room from parking lot to minimize contact with other people.
4. We are on L1/L2 status in U.S. and both have valid visa.

Hope this post will help other people that are deciding. We feel this plan has minimized the COVID risk on road for ourselves and others while getting the landing done before it expires.

Reactions: Milehighguy

uzumaki.naruto

Jul 22, 2019
Hey, thanks for posting your experience.

Is there a requirement that goods to follow list has to be submitted in one year? Is there a place to submit it?

GDD

Oct 16, 2020
Reposting to this forum.

First of all, I would like to thank this forum and all those who shared soft landing experience under COVID restriction. After reading through multiple successful experience in this forum, we decided to do ours at Peace Arch by land. My approval date is BEFORE March 2019.

We traveled from Bay Area via I-5. Due to COVID, we didn't plan any shopping / sightseeing in this trip. We completed the U-turn soft landing in 3 days.

Landing experience:

Canada Side:

(I have filled out ArriveCAN app to indicate quarantining in a hotel in Vancouver)
Me: We have made a quarantine plan in case U turn is not an option for landing. But we would prefer to go back today if possible.
Officer1: Sounds good. Welcome to Canada! Please drive ahead and poll over by the stop sign. The officer over there will guide you to next step.

<Drive ahead, parked as instructed, directed into the building for the landing process>

Officer2: Yes. I will should you the way after we finish. <working on her computer> When do you plan to move?
Officer2: That's fine. You need to submit the list within 1 year from today. After that you cannot bring your belongings tax free. Please initial and sign here.
Officer2: In case you want to import your car, this is the information you need. You will also need to export it from the U.S. side first which typically takes 3 days. <Handed me a print out for car imports> Do you have a Canadian address?
Officer2: I saw a few U.S. address of yours in the system. Are they still valid?
Me: <After checking> No, they are old addresses. I moved. Do you need the current address?
Officer2: No. Your PR card will be sent to your Canadian address. Is that ok? <No sure if she can send it to my U.S. address if I didn't move>
Officer2: <after working on the computer and stamping the document> This is your copy (of CoPR). You can use this to come back to Canada before receiving the card. I will show you the way for U turn. Follow me.

Me: Yes, I completed the landing process and told them I want to come back the same day.

1. My wife and I take turns for the road trip. We spent about 10 hours / day on road.
2. Weather on I-5 was sunny on the way north. On the way back there was light snow near Oregon / California border. No chain used but carrying one is required.
3. We stayed at a hotel to the south of Portland with direct access to room from parking lot to minimize contact with other people.

Hope this post will help other people that are deciding. We feel this plan has minimized the COVID risk on road for ourselves and others while getting the landing done before it expires.
Hi OolongLikeALittlePuppy: I also recently flew to Canada and was able to return the same day. I had also completed the information in ArriveCAN. What did you do when return to US and then got notification from ArriveCAN asking if you have reached your quarantine destination?

Milehighguy

Feb 19, 2020
Reposting to this forum.

Landing experience:

Canada Side:

Thank you so much for this post. Really helpful! Me and my wife are planning to do the same thing from Washington State. We are exactly in your situation. Our CoPR is expired, issued before March 2020. We got the exemption letter and are ready for SoftLanding. Do you have any pointers in how to plan the stay for 14 days quarantine in case the officer doesnt allow U turn ?

Aug 10, 2018
Hi OolongLikeALittlePuppy: I also recently flew to Canada and was able to return the same day. I had also completed the information in ArriveCAN. What did you do when return to US and then got notification from ArriveCAN asking if you have reached your quarantine destination?
I am guessing that they have updated the app to ask you that. Or I forgot about that question. Just answer yes when you get home. I did perform a self quarantine at home for the same 14 days in the U.S. I did keep monitoring my own health and reporting to the apps everyday for 14 days. Of course, nothing happened to me in my case and after 14 days it will stop asking.

Aug 10, 2018
Thank you so much for this post. Really helpful! Me and my wife are planning to do the same thing from Washington State. We are exactly in your situation. Our CoPR is expired, issued before March 2020. We got the exemption letter and are ready for SoftLanding. Do you have any pointers in how to plan the stay for 14 days quarantine in case the officer doesnt allow U turn ?
Yes, I did plan for that.

I looked for a hotel in Richmond, four points YVR. I will book the hotel over my phone app if I was asked to do so. I put the same address in ArriveCAN before arriving at the border. The first officer did ask what's that address as I told him I wish to do a UTURN. Just be honest there and I told him that the hotel was where I would stay in case I have to quarantine. For food or med delivery requirement just download one app that delivers in Canada.

Don't book the hotel before hand as lots of them allow cancelation only 48h in advance. Download any app that you can book hotel on just to show them you are ready to do so if asked.

GDD

Oct 16, 2020
I am guessing that they have updated the app to ask you that. Or I forgot about that question. Just answer yes when you get home. I did perform a self quarantine at home for the same 14 days in the U.S. I did keep monitoring my own health and reporting to the apps everyday for 14 days. Of course, nothing happened to me in my case and after 14 days it will stop asking.
@OolongLikeALittlePuppy: Thank you for your reply. I did answer yes and the app asks daily if you have any symptoms or no. They should build an option asking if you have left Canada, as leaving Canada during quarantine is also allowed.

Milehighguy

Feb 19, 2020
Yes, I did plan for that.

I looked for a hotel in Richmond, four points YVR. I will book the hotel over my phone app if I was asked to do so. I put the same address in ArriveCAN before arriving at the border. The first officer did ask what's that address as I told him I wish to do a UTURN. Just be honest there and I told him that the hotel was where I would stay in case I have to quarantine. For food or med delivery requirement just download one app that delivers in Canada.

Don't book the hotel before hand as lots of them allow cancelation only 48h in advance. Download any app that you can book hotel on just to show them you are ready to do so if asked.
Thanks for the response. Could you please share list of the documents that you took to the border ? Did you also get I94 updated when returning ?

vikas.trades25

Jan 8, 2019
Reposting to this forum.

Landing experience:

Canada Side:

Reading your post, I assume that your COPR landing date was not expired.
I had my COPR approved before Mar 2020 and it expired in June 2020..I was unwilling to travel earlier during the time of covid and had received a response that mail us when you are ready to travel..I had filed a ircc webform in September 2020 that I was ready to travel now but I was unaware of the 4 pointer mail that ppl were receiving..I didn’t want to actively pursue on my ircc webform request sent in September as I was awaiting for the travel restrictions to be lifted

I have recently received a response to my September 2020 ircc webform request..It’s the 4 pointer mail and need to be replied within 10 days...I am currently not looking to travel permanently but was planning to do a soft landing via Buffalo and return the same day.

The 4 pointer mail discourages for a temporary move now. Would there be any issue in obtaining the PR card later if I do return.
Or should I send them a mail, that I will wait till travel restrictions will be lifted

Aug 10, 2018
Reading your post, I assume that your COPR landing date was not expired.
I had my COPR approved before Mar 2020 and it expired in June 2020..I was unwilling to travel earlier during the time of covid and had received a response that mail us when you are ready to travel..I had filed a ircc webform in September 2020 that I was ready to travel now but I was unaware of the 4 pointer mail that ppl were receiving..I didn’t want to actively pursue on my ircc webform request sent in September as I was awaiting for the travel restrictions to be lifted

I have recently received a response to my September 2020 ircc webform request..It’s the 4 pointer mail and need to be replied within 10 days...I am currently not looking to travel permanently but was planning to do a soft landing via Buffalo and return the same day.

The 4 pointer mail discourages for a temporary move now. Would there be any issue in obtaining the PR card later if I do return.
Or should I send them a mail, that I will wait till travel restrictions will be lifted
Things are changing rapidly these days. I don’t think anyone in this forum can provide a concrete answer.

From what I know, some officers issue PR card for soft landing but others don’t. There is also a possibility of delay later when COVID ease up when everyone is trying to reactivate expired CoPR.

Personally I did soft landing during COVID simply because I don’t want to again wait for ircc with unknown timeline.

Milehighguy

Feb 19, 2020
@OolongLikeALittlePuppy: Thank you for your reply. I did answer yes and the app asks daily if you have any symptoms or no. They should build an option asking if you have left Canada, as leaving Canada during quarantine is also allowed.
Do you know what is the border entry from Washington state to Surrey BC is called on ArriveCan app ? I tried searching Peace Arch and there is no such entry in the app. Any help is appreciated.

Milehighguy

Feb 19, 2020
Pacific Highway crossing (Blaine)
I dint see Pacific Highway crossing (Blaine) but rather Pacific Highway (Surrey) I believe thats Canada side. That is the only option I see on ArriveCan on washington state side. Is that you are referring to ?