+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DARKEST SIDE OF TRUTH

tennisman

May 15, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Good advice. Glad to hear your story and glad everything is working out for you.

just_do_it said:
everything you do in life is a risk.

Its perfectly normal to feel what you are feeling but how you handle these situations in life is what defines you as a man.
Whats the guarantee that if you study in India you will not be wasting your parents money? In my experience, nobody is an average student because of some external force, its a choice. So you can pucker up and study hard and be a grade A student or you can be an average student, decision is yours.

As far as canada is concerned, nobody guarantees you that things will always go as planned. They never do regardless of if you are in India or Canada. But things do work out in life in the long run. You just have to roll with the punches and keep going, keep trying.

I'll share my story. I arrived here back in 2002 with a year's tution in my pocket. My father gave me the money and said thats all he could afford. I had 3 more years of tution to come up with and no idea how to. Oh and i was an average student in India but by choice.

I went through a rough patch in my 3rd year and my GPA went below the university minimum and i was put on probation, meaning one more grade less than C and i would be kicked out of university for atleast 2 years. I repeated a semester and got straight A's in the same courses i flunked. The dean ended up waiving a course's worth of credits i needed to graduate just so i didnt have to come back for another semester only to finish an elective. That saved me both time and money.

My second term at a co-op job and i was asked to resign due to some differences with a colleague. That put a sore spot on my resume but it was probably for the better. Now i am a canadian citizen, work for the govt and have a pretty good life.

So if a screw up like me can etch out a decent life for himself, i'm sure anobody can. Here's how i did it:

1. Accept whatever is happening in your life. Dont be in denial. If you get bad grades, accept the fact you didnt study hard. Nobody else is to blame.
2. Believe in yourself. You are no dumber than anyone and as smart as anyone.
3. Work hard. although im not a religious person but if i was i would say work hard, give your 110% and leave the rest on god.
4. If you fail once, try again. I know it sounds cheesy but its true. the moment you give up, you are creating a habit of giving up and thats all you will do in life; give up.
5. always have a plan B, always. Whatever you are doing, small or big, always think through each scenario that can happen and have another way out if things go south. For e.g. what if your plan for PR does not work out, what then? or what if you do not get a co-op in the summer, what then? Planning helps you be prepared in situations where normally people freak out and make stupid moves.

In the end, all i will say is that life is a risk in itself and only those succeed who take the risk. Wayne Gretzky (canadian hockey legend) said "you miss 100% of the chances you do not take".

Best of Luck

plzhelpme

Star Member
Jan 14, 2013
What you did is very impressive.
Some years back you were a copy of me.
I am scared of my previous academic profile (10th+12thcommerce+BBA=65%)
But now I am planning to go for Gmat coaching with job in some company for experience and then i will apply for sept intake 2014
What do you think ?
Does Gmat score helps in availing scholarships ?
If yes then how much Gmat score ?

just_do_it said:
everything you do in life is a risk.

Its perfectly normal to feel what you are feeling but how you handle these situations in life is what defines you as a man.
Whats the guarantee that if you study in India you will not be wasting your parents money? In my experience, nobody is an average student because of some external force, its a choice. So you can pucker up and study hard and be a grade A student or you can be an average student, decision is yours.

As far as canada is concerned, nobody guarantees you that things will always go as planned. They never do regardless of if you are in India or Canada. But things do work out in life in the long run. You just have to roll with the punches and keep going, keep trying.

I'll share my story. I arrived here back in 2002 with a year's tution in my pocket. My father gave me the money and said thats all he could afford. I had 3 more years of tution to come up with and no idea how to. Oh and i was an average student in India but by choice.

I went through a rough patch in my 3rd year and my GPA went below the university minimum and i was put on probation, meaning one more grade less than C and i would be kicked out of university for atleast 2 years. I repeated a semester and got straight A's in the same courses i flunked. The dean ended up waiving a course's worth of credits i needed to graduate just so i didnt have to come back for another semester only to finish an elective. That saved me both time and money.

My second term at a co-op job and i was asked to resign due to some differences with a colleague. That put a sore spot on my resume but it was probably for the better. Now i am a canadian citizen, work for the govt and have a pretty good life.

So if a screw up like me can etch out a decent life for himself, i'm sure anobody can. Here's how i did it:

1. Accept whatever is happening in your life. Dont be in denial. If you get bad grades, accept the fact you didnt study hard. Nobody else is to blame.
2. Believe in yourself. You are no dumber than anyone and as smart as anyone.
3. Work hard. although im not a religious person but if i was i would say work hard, give your 110% and leave the rest on god.
4. If you fail once, try again. I know it sounds cheesy but its true. the moment you give up, you are creating a habit of giving up and thats all you will do in life; give up.
5. always have a plan B, always. Whatever you are doing, small or big, always think through each scenario that can happen and have another way out if things go south. For e.g. what if your plan for PR does not work out, what then? or what if you do not get a co-op in the summer, what then? Planning helps you be prepared in situations where normally people freak out and make stupid moves.

In the end, all i will say is that life is a risk in itself and only those succeed who take the risk. Wayne Gretzky (canadian hockey legend) said "you miss 100% of the chances you do not take".

Best of Luck

echelon99

Jun 5, 2012
Colombo, Sri-Lanka
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-Colombo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-05-2013
IELTS Request
8.0 overall
File Transfer...
24-05-2013
Med's Request
28-06-2013
Med's Done....
01-07-2013
Passport Req..
19-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
24-07-2013
plzhelpme said:
But now I am planning to go for Gmat coaching with job in some company for experience and then i will apply for sept intake 2014
What do you think ?
720+ will get you some decent scholarships.

spoiltz

Star Member
Sep 11, 2012
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2013
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
28-03-2013
Med's Done....
12-02-2013
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
16-04-2013
plzhelpme said:
What do you think ?
I think a good university will give u a scholarship, if u score 700+.
I think ur previous academic profile, is all right. Nothing to worry about. I had the same kind of profile. (10th - 78, 12th - 65, B.com 67).
Don't worry too much, if you are determined about your goal, you will definitely succeed.

plzhelpme

Star Member
Jan 14, 2013
What about you guys ?
Have you scored 700+ ?
You know what my dream is to settle in Vancouver and post graduated from the UBC
UBC fees is around 51000 cad for international students so costly and you need good academic profile with Gmat score
So is it not possible that they consider only latest Gmat score because past is past

echelon99

Jun 5, 2012
Colombo, Sri-Lanka
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-Colombo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-05-2013
IELTS Request
8.0 overall
File Transfer...
24-05-2013
Med's Request
28-06-2013
Med's Done....
01-07-2013
Passport Req..
19-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
24-07-2013
plzhelpme said:
What about you guys ?
Have you scored 700+ ?
You know what my dream is to settle in Vancouver and post graduated from the UBC
UBC fees is around 51000 cad for international students so costly and you need good academic profile with Gmat score
So is it not possible that they consider only latest Gmat score because past is past
My girl friend got a 710 and was offered a 10k scholarship at Rotman, which is nothing when you look at the total fees. I scored 680 and got no scholarship. A friend of ours scored 750 and got a 60k scholarship. Draw your own conclusions.

You can take GMAT multiple times, they will only consider your highest score.

echelon99

Jun 5, 2012
Colombo, Sri-Lanka
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-Colombo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-05-2013
IELTS Request
8.0 overall
File Transfer...
24-05-2013
Med's Request
28-06-2013
Med's Done....
01-07-2013
Passport Req..
19-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
24-07-2013
plzhelpme said:
I know we can take it multiple times but just 60000 Rs scholarship ?
Thats it
60k CAD on a 100k CAD degree. So he only had to pay 40k CAD.

tariq3267

Star Member
Feb 15, 2010
echelon99 said:
My girl friend got a 710 and was offered a 10k scholarship at Rotman, which is nothing when you look at the total fees. I scored 680 and got no scholarship. A friend of ours scored 750 and got a 60k scholarship. Draw your own conclusions.

You can take GMAT multiple times, they will only consider your highest score.
i got 60% marks in 10th standard and 53% marks in 12th standard but in BBA-H my cgpa is 3.53 out of 4.00...will i be able to get scholarship coz of BBA-H marks in any business school in canada??

plzhelpme

Star Member
Jan 14, 2013
@ tariq our scholarship now depends upon your Gmat and Ielts score
Yeah we didn't work hard so we need to work hard now if we lose this phase of time then we are gone forever

echelon99

Jun 5, 2012
Colombo, Sri-Lanka
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-Colombo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-05-2013
IELTS Request
8.0 overall
File Transfer...
24-05-2013
Med's Request
28-06-2013
Med's Done....
01-07-2013
Passport Req..
19-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
24-07-2013
tariq3267 said:
i got 60% marks in 10th standard and 53% marks in 12th standard but in BBA-H my cgpa is 3.53 out of 4.00...will i be able to get scholarship coz of BBA-H marks in any business school in canada??
why would even doubt yourself? 3.5+ is a very good GPA!

vijai

Star Member
May 11, 2012
you never know how close you are,so never give up while you are still "IN" the race..you can definitely win ;)