+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commuter to US, can spouse accompany on H4?

anon123

Jul 19, 2013
Actually my situation is a bit different as TN/TD but I believe the rules are same for H1B/H4 and more likely someone would have tried this on H4.
Currently living in US and dependent also in US. Planning to move permanently to Canada and commute to US for work daily. Will spouse (on dependent US visa and no B1/B2, visa required passport) be allowed to enter US occasionally with AVR? Reason for travel: doctor’s appointment or to accompany US citizen child for doctor’s appointment (while on primary’s US health insurance).
Most of the posts I have seen are from people trying to commute on H4 EAD but that’s somewhat different as here we are talking about occasional visits as opposed to taking advantage of EAD. I know ideally we should have B1/B2 however embassy gave appointment years in the future.

Reactions: missedTheGCBus

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Actually my situation is a bit different as TN/TD but I believe the rules are same for H1B/H4 and more likely someone would have tried this on H4.
Currently living in US and dependent also in US. Planning to move permanently to Canada and commute to US for work daily. Will spouse (on dependent US visa and no B1/B2, visa required passport) be allowed to enter US occasionally with AVR? Reason for travel: doctor’s appointment or to accompany US citizen child for doctor’s appointment (while on primary’s US health insurance).
Most of the posts I have seen are from people trying to commute on H4 EAD but that’s somewhat different as here we are talking about occasional visits as opposed to taking advantage of EAD. I know ideally we should have B1/B2 however embassy gave appointment years in the future.
If you aren‘t living in the US there is a good chance that it will be an issue. As you have already indicated B1/B2 would be the proper visa.