+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily Commute i 140 (Detroit Windsor tunnel ) h1b

praikdeshmukh1987

Star Member
Sep 27, 2017
Hi
I am in a unique situation as my 6 th year of h1b is about to be over and have my i140 approved.I am employed in indianapolis but plan to wfh in detroit for 2 weeks and 1 week in indianapolis out a month.
Will a daily commute situation in this case be feasible with the nexus card or do you think that cbp can detain me if i tell i will be wfh in detroit eventhough my employer is in indiana.
Please advise.
This forum has been a blessing.
Thanks and Regards
Praik

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Your employer has to submit a new LCA and amend the H1B petition to add the second work location. This is irrespective of your Canada commute.

praikdeshmukh1987

Star Member
Sep 27, 2017
Your employer has to submit a new LCA and amend the H1B petition to add the second work location. This is irrespective of your Canada commute.
Thank you so much for that information.
Also in such a frequent commute will i have to use a canadian car or my us car will do.
Moreover,if i am doing a daily commute and meet the number of days required to obtain a citizenship will i be eligible for it as i will have to pay taxes in usa?
Lastly ,Do i use canadian or us healthcare in this situation ? As i wont be eligible for the free healthcare portion.

Thanks and Regards,
Pratik

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
You should export your car to Canada and register it over there. Some Canadian border agents object at a PR driving US registered vehicle.

Taxes are a complicated matter. You will have to file a return in both countries. As a resident in one (preferably Canada) and non-resident in the other. Taxes paid to one country will reduce your tax liability to the other country.

I don't know if Canadian insurance works in the US or not. (Probably not). Ontario insurance starts after 3 months of moving. You will need to maintain US insurance at least until that time.

praikdeshmukh1987

Star Member
Sep 27, 2017
You should export your car to Canada and register it over there. Some Canadian border agents object at a PR driving US registered vehicle.

Taxes are a complicated matter. You will have to file a return in both countries. As a resident in one (preferably Canada) and non-resident in the other. Taxes paid to one country will reduce your tax liability to the other country.

I don't know if Canadian insurance works in the US or not. (Probably not). Ontario insurance starts after 3 months of moving. You will need to maintain US insurance at least until that time.
Thank you so much for the help.
One last thing will i be then able to use canadian medical insurance after 6 months and be eligible to file for canadian citizenship?

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Ontario insurance starts after 3 months of moving. Not sure if it works in the US.

You will be eligible to apply for Canadian Citizenship after 3 years of living in Canada. Since you are commuting daily, there will be more scrutiny and requirement of evidence. Follow the commuter threads for more information.

praikdeshmukh1987

Star Member
Sep 27, 2017
Ontario insurance starts after 3 months of moving. Not sure if it works in the US.

You will be eligible to apply for Canadian Citizenship after 3 years of living in Canada. Since you are commuting daily, there will be more scrutiny and requirement of evidence. Follow the commuter threads for more information.
Thank you so much for all the help..
It really cleared most of my questions.
Thanks and Regards,
Pratik

justinline

May 19, 2009
Why do you even want to travel to Detroit ....when your company is in Indianapolis. Just work from Windsor and travel to Indianapolis when required. As of now I havent heard any one having issues travelling once a month or even in irregular pattern.......just from people I know.

If you plan to travel in and out of Canada whole of time before you apply for citizenship......not to scare you or anything.....just a cautionary......have ample proofs of your stay in Canada. From lease, to utility bills, to credit card statements, to bank statements.......just so that you start collecting them from very first day. If husband wife both travel to US for work, I would suggest at least one find employment in Canada.

I havent seen any commuter case getting stuck during citizenship process, except for one, they are still stuck for over year. When you get stuck.....the review is extensive for commuter case.

praikdeshmukh1987

Star Member
Sep 27, 2017
Why do you even want to travel to Detroit ....when your company is in Indianapolis. Just work from Windsor and travel to Indianapolis when required. As of now I havent heard any one having issues travelling once a month or even in irregular pattern.......just from people I know.

If you plan to travel in and out of Canada whole of time before you apply for citizenship......not to scare you or anything.....just a cautionary......have ample proofs of your stay in Canada. From lease, to utility bills, to credit card statements, to bank statements.......just so that you start collecting them from very first day. If husband wife both travel to US for work, I would suggest at least one find employment in Canada.

I havent seen any commuter case getting stuck during citizenship process, except for one, they are still stuck for over year. When you get stuck.....the review is extensive for commuter case.
Thank you for the reply.

The problem is my company doesnot allow wfh outside usa borders.The vpn will pick the geographich location.
I can do 2 weeks in usa wfh in detroit and fly for a week to Indy.
Moreover, do we currently have cases or threads where a commuter case such as this have received citizenship.
I could follow the pattern they have atleast will have maintained the eligibility of the pr card.
Please advise and thanjs again.

Sowmyaapex

Oct 25, 2021
Hi Pratik

did you start traveling from Windsor to USA regular to ur wfh location .I m in similar situation wanna know if it’s ok to do that .

my wfh location is in Detroit