+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

Windsorvasi

Jan 8, 2020
you can definitely enter with your visa.. did your extension get approved?
Not yet. My company wont refile it until i go to US it seems. So I am planning to go tomorrow and stay there until they file. I am not sure if i should stay until I get approval or can travel back as soon as petition is filed.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Not yet. My company wont refile it until i go to US it seems. So I am planning to go tomorrow and stay there until they file. I am not sure if i should stay until I get approval or can travel back as soon as petition is filed.
you can travel back as soon as the petition is filed and it won't harm your extension in any ways. but someone in this forum was questioned by CBP on whether they were in US at the time the approval (and the associated i94) came.. so, if you plan to use AVR in future, it might be a good idea to process the petition in premium, get the approval and then get back to Canada.

SAM09072019

Sep 7, 2019
As far as I know, you must be present in the US during the week, the petition was filed and received by USCIS. there is no restriction to be in US to wait for approval unless you don't have visa stamp and want to utilize AVR facility

SAM09072019

Sep 7, 2019
Do we know any information on the impact on AVR due to the latest executive order? I have one friend who got the PR recently and needs to complete the landing this year. He lives in the US on H1 and has valid i94 but doesn't have visa stamped. he is worried if they will not honor AVR due to executive order

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Do we know any information on the impact on AVR due to the latest executive order? I have one friend who got the PR recently and needs to complete the landing this year. He lives in the US on H1 and has valid i94 but doesn't have visa stamped. he is worried if they will not honor AVR due to executive order
No issues as they are resident of US with valid I94 and they dont need valid visa to renter from Canada(within 30 days).

vj12

Oct 26, 2018
Question for anyone who commutes daily between US and Canada-

My COPR was approved before March 2020.

As per the post on IRCC website - If we approved your application on or before March 18, 2020, but you haven’t travelled to Canada yet, you’re exempt from the travel restriction measures.

So I can visit Canada for soft landing even with current travel restrictions. Presently it is required that anyone who visits Canada must quarantine themselves for 14 days.

My questions is - I plan to cross border by road, do soft landing, turn around and return to USA. Is it okay to do so and get away with 14 days quarantine?

If anyone doesnt know for sure then can they ask this the next time they cross border?
Thank you soo much in advance.

jayrao653

Jan 21, 2020
I agree with above response, looking at June23 EO, there is no mention of any impact of AVR, primary impact is for getting visa stamped from consulate, as known consulate has been closed for a while since COVID

jayrao653

Jan 21, 2020
I agree with above response, looking at June23 EO, there is no mention of any impact of AVR, primary impact is for getting visa stamped from consulate, as known consulate has been closed for a while since COVID
Hello All- On similar topic, I'm presuming there wont be any issue to daily commute for work on AVR, right ?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hello All- On similar topic, I'm presuming there wont be any issue to daily commute for work on AVR, right ?
Correct.
How did you get the quarantine requirements waived?
US side doesnt care. They dont enfore hence there would have been no issues to return soon.

vasanth777

Feb 23, 2019
Yes, but you do need to submit 14 day quarantine plan in Canada to CBSA, and sometimes they say they won't let you land if you indicate you are not honoring it
Yes. You need to convince them. It took me 45 minutes to convince them. US re-entry was easy.

vasanth777

Feb 23, 2019
What did you say?
I said that i will depart first thing the next morning. I also said that i am an essential worker(i work for an airline, so that was easy to prove). Some of the immigration officers were a bit rude. But the lady officers were nice and finally agreed to my proposal.

canus11

May 22, 2020
Hi,

I am in a similar situation where I moved to Canada earlier this year and recently entered into the US to get my H1B extension filed. In my case, I plan to stay in the US until my H1B extension is approved. The question I have is that is your client in Detroit? I have a client on the west coast and agreed for me to work 2 weeks the US and 2 weeks in Canada. And in pandemic situations like these allowed me to work from home. I would like to know if you travel from the Windsor-Detroit border because you work in Detroit.

Are there any other people who travel daily or weekly (Mon-Fri) commute and have clients, not in Michigan.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi,

I am in a similar situation where I moved to Canada earlier this year and recently entered into the US to get my H1B extension filed. In my case, I plan to stay in the US until my H1B extension is approved. The question I have is that is your client in Detroit? I have a client on the west coast and agreed for me to work 2 weeks the US and 2 weeks in Canada. And in pandemic situations like these allowed me to work from home. I would like to know if you travel from the Windsor-Detroit border because you work in Detroit.

Are there any other people who travel daily or weekly (Mon-Fri) commute and have clients, not in Michigan.
There are many who stays in Canada and go to work in US, whose client is not in border city. Some do travel monthly for few days to a week, have seen in some other threads.
As you wont be having visa for quite a while, it would be risky not to maintain status, which means that you should enter US every 30 days without fail(reason: Not every officer will ignore this 30 day rule and let you in and some officer might deny you based on rule). This way your status is current and you dont need visa to enter US(as long as uscis prints I94 while approving your petition).

Are you filing in premium or not?
FYI - Already uscis staff will go on furlough due to non-allocation of budget, still not certain but its a possibility. Also due to covid and possible budget cut hence prospects are not great in getting the work done fast from uscis.