+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Hi all,
I have a question about coming back to Windsor from Detroit post 5th July.
I am a daily commuter from past year until April 2021. Last week of April I stayed in Detroit for few months now as my wife had to deliver the baby. Me and my wife are planning to go back to Windsor after 5th july. I am fully vaccinated.
If I am reading IRCC website correctly, border agents will only need negative report (within 72 hours) and they will perform covid test at the tunnel/bridge. I have to upload vaccine info on ArriveCAN app. Then I will not have to quarantine for 14 days and I can start my daily commute again on next day. Is this correct or am I missing something?
Thanks

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi all,
I have a question about coming back to Windsor from Detroit post 5th July.
I am a daily commuter from past year until April 2021. Last week of April I stayed in Detroit for few months now as my wife had to deliver the baby. Me and my wife are planning to go back to Windsor after 5th july. I am fully vaccinated.
If I am reading IRCC website correctly, border agents will only need negative report (within 72 hours) and they will perform covid test at the tunnel/bridge. I have to upload vaccine info on ArriveCAN app. Then I will not have to quarantine for 14 days and I can start my daily commute again on next day. Is this correct or am I missing something?
Thanks
Thats seems pretty much it. Nothing more than that.

Bdw, how did you plan this? As the PR application process had delayed significantly with huge backlog, what is your plan for applying PR to baby?

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Thats seems pretty much it. Nothing more than that.

Bdw, how did you plan this? As the PR application process had delayed significantly with huge backlog, what is your plan for applying PR to baby?
Thanks for the response. So I am guessing I will not have to quarantine for 14 days and can resume daily commute once I return.
For baby, I will start family sponsorship application. Since it will be an inland application, I am assuming newborn's PR might get approved in 5 to 6 months.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Thanks for the response. So I am guessing I will not have to quarantine for 14 days and can resume daily commute once I return.
For baby, I will start family sponsorship application. Since it will be an inland application, I am assuming newborn's PR might get approved in 5 to 6 months.
Ok. All d best.

How did you prepare for your come back? Like pre pandemic i think it was never an issue but now when you try to enter the country back after 2months if you tell that you had stay back or went to Usa for delivery of your baby. They would convince? How are you planning to answer that question because you are already a resident here and have been commuting before.

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Ok. All d best.

How did you prepare for your come back? Like pre pandemic i think it was never an issue but now when you try to enter the country back after 2months if you tell that you had stay back or went to Usa for delivery of your baby. They would convince? How are you planning to answer that question because you are already a resident here and have been commuting before.
Yeah I don't think it will be an issue as we both were commuters and it was difficult to commute in the last days. Should not be a problem at all.
Will post the experience here once I get back.
Thanks

Reactions: swan0206

SKCanDream

Jun 17, 2021
I am doing same on west coast...

No, Your passport will not be stamped everyday. You need to have stamped H1B along with Paper I94 ( If you dont have paper I-94, you will get it while entering by road first time when they send you in, simple process)

You can apply for Nexus here: https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/goes/jsp/login.jsp;jsessionid=HXiyMzGZFokeNFVCReXVTiuXaDG6JviDHRqy92DB6lqm6LzCtnzR!-1135677989

More information Nexus here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/application-demande-eng.html
I am doing same on west coast...

No, Your passport will not be stamped everyday. You need to have stamped H1B along with Paper I94 ( If you dont have paper I-94, you will get it while entering by road first time when they send you in, simple process)

You can apply for Nexus here: https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/goes/jsp/login.jsp;jsessionid=HXiyMzGZFokeNFVCReXVTiuXaDG6JviDHRqy92DB6lqm6LzCtnzR!-1135677989

More information Nexus here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/application-demande-eng.html
Hi H1B_140approved_CanadaPR, Do you mind sharing where do you stay on west coast in US and Canada. I am looking for places where daily commute is possible on west coast?

rohit.joshi

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
Hi All,
I just logged into Nexus portal and saw that there is option to have virtual interview as well. I am not able to find the link where to book this virtual interview.
This is how the steps appear now-
Interview
  • Attend an in-person or remote virtual interview
  • Have interview, and wait for approval
  • Activate membership card (if needed)

Does anybody know anything about how to book remote virtual interview?
Or is there any email address for Nexus team where we can ask our queries?

Thanks
@BhargavDadhaniya
Can you please let me know when did you apply for Nexus and how much time it took for you to get the conditional approval. I submitted my Nexus application today.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
keep cancelling since last year
ok. waiting to get stamped as well. Not sure if it gets cancelled. When is your interview scheduled? I think they shouldn't be cancelling anymore as they plan to re-open borders slowly.

Also when it gets cancelled do you have to book a new slot or they do it assign a new date automatically?

shirleyyuan314

Dec 31, 2019
ok. waiting to get stamped as well. Not sure if it gets cancelled. When is your interview scheduled? I think they shouldn't be cancelling anymore as they plan to re-open borders slowly.

Also when it gets cancelled do you have to book a new slot or they do it assign a new date automatically?
my late july one was cancelled..... no i have to book a new slot...

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
@BhargavDadhaniya
Can you please let me know when did you apply for Nexus and how much time it took for you to get the conditional approval. I submitted my Nexus application today.
Average processing time when I applied (Dec 2019) was minimum 2 months. Mine came in 3 and half months. But I am unable to schedule the interview yet as they closed the nexus enrollment center for in person interview during Pandemic.

legends19

Jun 20, 2021
I
Correct.

Nexus card doesnt mean you are allowed to pass through. Everyone needs to stop at the booth but its mostly not much/less questions for nexus but as Karthik said there can be secondary inspection or car inspection sometimes for anyone (with or without nexus).

Well, you can maintain the status of H1 for 30 day outside US. Every 30 days you should enter US to retain the status. So you decide if it will workout for you. US$ salary outside is just to do the option acceptable by the company. As long as they are agreeing to pay then no one cares. Few months i was outside during which i was continuing my US salary. No issues. As long as company is paying tax, no one worrys about it.

Canadian address will be in your payslip. This is nothing to do with being paid/working/residing in US. If employer agrees to pay in US$ then they can to employee(inside or outside US). Example, many top executives who are outside US in many companies get paid in US (irrelevant of citizenship). There is no different rule for them and us.

I wonder where is the source of the 30-day rule? Some people mention it but it seems to be a safe empirical rule but it doesn't really have a legal basis?