+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

Jeksis

Mar 5, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa / New York
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-07-2017
Doc's Request.
24-08-2017
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
17-07-2017
IELTS Request
24-08-2017
Med's Done....
26-07-2017
Passport Req..
06-11-2017
LANDED..........
02-12-2017
I don't have this info, we need to try it out :)

so, when are you planning to move to Windsor? are you going to work in detorit?
Ok! ;)

I am looking to move to Windsor immediately my PR is approved. I just applied last week. Can someone advise how long it actually takes CIC to process EE PR?

I am actively looking for a job in Detroit now. Is it difficult to get H1B-sponsored IT job in Detroit? What IT areas are in high demand in Detroit?

What are the US and Canada tax implications of living in Windsor and working in Detroit? Will individual be double-taxed, or which of the following taxes are applicable and which, if any, can be refunded by the other government:
i. US federal tax
ii. Michigan state tax
iii. Detroit city tax
iv. Canada federal tax
v. Ontario provincial tax
vi. Windsor city tax

Regarding Social Security, I believe there is coordination between the two countries on this...

Thanks!

Last edited:

Vaibhav.goel85

Star Member
Mar 10, 2017
NOC Code......
Hi Guys,

I also got ITA on 12th July and planning to do Detroit-Windsor Daily commute.
I have found few tax person online who deal with commuter tax retuns cost around $300.

For tunnel you can get nexpress toll card its $4x2 per day crossing looking at 160$.

I have to still reserach about apartments and I want something near by with Desis ( sorry if this is inappropriate)
As My spouse and Son will be home while I am in US.

tuhadapeo

Jul 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal -> Vancouver
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-01-2019
Hi Guys,

I also got ITA on 12th July and planning to do Detroit-Windsor Daily commute.
I have found few tax person online who deal with commuter tax retuns cost around $300.

For tunnel you can get nexpress toll card its $4x2 per day crossing looking at 160$.

I have to still reserach about apartments and I want something near by with Desis ( sorry if this is inappropriate)
As My spouse and Son will be home while I am in US.
Good dialog everyone. I've read couple posts regarding Windsor-Detroit commute. It's quite useful information, however did anyone think about how the re-entry into Canada would work? Especially for the folks who recently got P.R or are waiting for one. You'll have P.R visa, but don't you need P.R Card to travel back into Canada?

Thoughts?

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
I believe you can. I am on H1B and had a visitor visa to Canada (H1B transfer was also in progress at the time and lawyer advised not to leave US :p ) when I crossed from US to Canada this past Memorial Day weekend returning on the Sunday. This should not be different with Canada PR in place of visa. If in doubt, it could also be that you are returning on the weekend for work on Monday morning! ;)

Can someone advise how much it will cost in tolls per month to commute between Windsor and Detroit seven days a week via the tunnel or bridge? What is the cheapest option? Thanks.
Thanks for your reply!

My co-worker commutes daily from Windsor. He's told me you can pay in CAD or USD. It costs 6.25 CAD or 5 USD each way on the bridge. The Tunnel is cheaper (I believe 2 CAD cheaper) and more reliable in terms of traffic.

Last edited:

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
Good dialog everyone. I've read couple posts regarding Windsor-Detroit commute. It's quite useful information, however did anyone think about how the re-entry into Canada would work? Especially for the folks who recently got P.R or are waiting for one. You'll have P.R visa, but don't you need P.R Card to travel back into Canada?

Thoughts?
For me, I plan on settling in for about 2 months to allow my PR card to arrive in the mail, then I can use it to cross into Canada.
During that time I also intend to go for visa stamping in one of the US embassies in Canada as I will need it to enter US.

Reactions: tuhadapeo

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
Ok! ;)

I am looking to move to Windsor immediately my PR is approved. I just applied last week. Can someone advise how long it actually takes CIC to process EE PR?

I am actively looking for a job in Detroit now. Is it difficult to get H1B-sponsored IT job in Detroit? What IT areas are in high demand in Detroit?

What are the US and Canada tax implications of living in Windsor and working in Detroit? Will individual be double-taxed, or which of the following taxes are applicable and which, if any, can be refunded by the other government:
i. US federal tax
ii. Michigan state tax
iii. Detroit city tax
iv. Canada federal tax
v. Ontario provincial tax
vi. Windsor city tax

Regarding Social Security, I believe there is coordination between the two countries on this...

Thanks!
I can't respond with certainty on the tax questions, but I believe the two countries have a tax treaty so you will not be double taxed. Please consult with a professional.

My PR took 3 months to process but my case was straightforward. I did not see any movement for 2 months, until I requested GCMS notes to get progress updates then my application was finalized, sent in passport and received it back in a month.

Are you in H1B status now? I don't believe you'd have trouble finding any IT jobs in Detroit that would sponsor you. Additionally Ann Arbor has a lot of IT jobs with all the start ups coming up but it's a bit of a drive.

Hope that helps.

prudhvi

Star Member
Mar 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys i need some help here

i am planning to move to Windsor in September. I do have PR and moved to US last year on H1B. I do have a car under Florida registration and now am confused whether to import it to Canada or Use it with US registration (as i will do cross border commute).

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
Guys i need some help here

i am planning to move to Windsor in September. I do have PR and moved to US last year on H1B. I do have a car under Florida registration and now am confused whether to import it to Canada or Use it with US registration (as i will do cross border commute).
Do you have the title to your car? If it's still financed then you might need to pay it off before you can export it to Canada, or you can work out a deal with the financing company.

I understand that you can only drive around in Ontario province with US tags for 90 days. Additionally I think it will be a hassle with the daily border crossing if your residence is in Canada yet you have US plates. Something to look into.

I'm in the same boat myself and looking for options, so if you find something that works please let me know. Thanks

sps2can

Star Member
May 10, 2017
Nexus Card - I have lived several years in US and Canada on Work Visa's and just had 6 months as a Canadian PR when my Nexus was approved.

Drivers License - You can get a Canadian license by surrendering a current valid US license. But you would need a drivers extract from your current US state, this process can take sometime depending on which state you are talking about.

You will also need Auto insurance history for 5+ years from the US to get a reasonable rate in Canada.

Do you have to surrender the US license? Can't you have both? I will be driving on weekly basis between Vancouver and Seattle and stay in Seattle from Mon-Thurs. I am not sure what to do in case I have to surrender my US license ... should I keep my US license or get the Canadian license? Anyone familiar with the pros and cons?

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
Do you have to surrender the US license? Can't you have both? I will be driving on weekly basis between Vancouver and Seattle and stay in Seattle from Mon-Thurs. I am not sure what to do in case I have to surrender my US license ... should I keep my US license or get the Canadian license? Anyone familiar with the pros and cons?
will your car be registered in US or Canada? and what will be your home address? Those are just some few questions to consider. I'm not sure about British Colombia, but I do believe if you want a Canadian license you'd have to exchange it with the US.

sps2can

Star Member
May 10, 2017
will your car be registered in US or Canada? and what will be your home address? Those are just some few questions to consider. I'm not sure about British Colombia, but I do believe if you want a Canadian license you'd have to exchange it with the US.
So I did some research yesterday and it is true that one has to surrender the US license for a Canadian license. Its illegal to have two licenses. They send it back to your state DMV in US with information that the person is licensed in Canada.
In my case, I will have a residence in Vancouver as well as Seattle. I am thinking of keeping my current car, which is on a loan, until I am able to secure a decent auto loan in Canada. So I guess keep my US license until then.
Any thoughts?

Reactions: VOBuckeye

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
So I did some research yesterday and it is true that one has to surrender the US license for a Canadian license. Its illegal to have two licenses. They send it back to your state DMV in US with information that the person is licensed in Canada.
In my case, I will have a residence in Vancouver as well as Seattle. I am thinking of keeping my current car, which is on a loan, until I am able to secure a decent auto loan in Canada. So I guess keep my US license until then.
Any thoughts?
I think if your loan is financed by a US company, then you should keep the US license since you also have a US residence. I would do a cost analysis and compare both US and Canada vehicle costs and see which country is cheaper (insurance, registration, car payments, etc). Have you thought of getting a Canadian bank to pay off your US car loan? If you're earning US salary it might be better in the long run.....just my thoughts.

Vaibhav.goel85

Star Member
Mar 10, 2017
NOC Code......
I am planning to apply for jobs in Detroit and need to know how big is Indian community in Windsor,ON as My wife and son will be at home for couple of months until we settle down.

Anyone looked for aprtments and tried to connect with other daily commuters

Dec 14, 2014
Related question - let's say you can do this and you commute daily, are you satisfying the residency requirement for PR? So in theory can you commute for 3 years and then apply for citizenship in Canada? Will that be because you are back in Canada the same day and never stayed overnight outside the country?
Here is answer to it.. You will be fine even if you don't return same day & return after staying over 1 night:
https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/redir.do;jsessionid=714998367F357B5801C4B1AE2C2AB113?redir=faq#Q3

Reactions: sumit8383