+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

Ronak529

Dec 27, 2022
Hello everyone, I was wondering did anyone received Nexus? I applied on 30th May 2023 and no luck yet. If you can share your experience and application date that would be helpful. Need the nexus before summer :)

TIA

jasbir101

May 4, 2022
Not sure correct thread.Not able to find the info so posting it here
I have a question about declaring the employee provident fund trust that I contributed when working for an employer in India and continue until the completion of my first year in Canada
  1. Do we need to report interest income earned on employee provident fund trust in the Canada tax return?
2 . Do we need to report in T11345 under (Interests in non-resident trusts) or any other form?

matrivg2507

Oct 31, 2021
I applied for the NEXUS in Feb 2023 and received the conditional approval in Nov 2023. Completed the interview in Dec 2023 and received the card within 10-15 days after the interview. So, overall it took 10 months from applying and receiving the card.

Reactions: Takita and Ronak529

matrivg2507

Oct 31, 2021
Hi Everyone,

I am currently crossing the US Canada border (through Peace Arch border situated in Blaine, WA) to accruing days to maintain my Canadian PR status. Have a few questions to clarify in this regard.

1. I have once used the NEXUS card to enter Canada but this entry record was missing in the CBSA provided Travel History Report. All entries made using the PR card were correctly recorded. However, the entry made using the NEXUS card was missing. Therefore, just wanted to confirm Does CBSA also records entries made using the NEXUS card? If yes, how can I get them in the travel report?
2. I have started using the NEXUS for an entry in the US (i.e. an exit from Canada). Does CBSA records the exit from Canada made using the NEXUS card?
3. In the travel report provided by the CBSA, all entries and exits were recorded in the Eastern Time (ET). Since I am in a Pacific Time (PT), just wanted to clarify which time zone is considered by the IRCC (when someone apply for the PR renewal/Citizenship) so that I can plan my travel time accordingly?

Would be really helpful if you could please clarify above. Thank you!

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I am currently crossing the US Canada border (through Peace Arch border situated in Blaine, WA) to accruing days to maintain my Canadian PR status. Have a few questions to clarify in this regard.

1. I have once used the NEXUS card to enter Canada but this entry record was missing in the CBSA provided Travel History Report. All entries made using the PR card were correctly recorded. However, the entry made using the NEXUS card was missing. Therefore, just wanted to confirm Does CBSA also records entries made using the NEXUS card? If yes, how can I get them in the travel report?
2. I have started using the NEXUS for an entry in the US (i.e. an exit from Canada). Does CBSA records the exit from Canada made using the NEXUS card?
3. In the travel report provided by the CBSA, all entries and exits were recorded in the Eastern Time (ET). Since I am in a Pacific Time (PT), just wanted to clarify which time zone is considered by the IRCC (when someone apply for the PR renewal/Citizenship) so that I can plan my travel time accordingly?

For point 3 I would maintain own record of days that is accurate based on PT and not dependent on ET

Reactions: matrivg2507

matrivg2507

Oct 31, 2021
Hi Everyone,

Hi All, Following up on my questions above. Would be very helpful if someone could please share their thoughts/experiences. Thanks!

Feb 12, 2024
Hi All, Following up on my questions above. Would be very helpful if someone could please share their thoughts/experiences. Thanks!
Here's my experience:

1) When you Submit CBSA request for exits and entries what I've seen is depending on what proof of identity you are uploading such as PR, Passport for the most part the agent running this report is going to use them as references to pull the records. I've submitted several CBSA requests over past few years and every time the records I received were inconsistent. Although I haven't ever uploaded Nexus copy during attachment I do believe there has to be some slicer that these agents use to send the data out and for some reason there are few that always missed. On US side the I-94 site is much precise is what I felt. End of the day if it comes to presence check IRCC will put the burden on you to show the proof of dates that you think you are in Canada which might be missing on either of the reports. Showing an excel with entry and exits won't cut it out. I have been asked for CBSA or I-94 records during my Citizenship due to excess travel and was able to provide both and highlighted the days missed in CBSA records which were present on I-94 though.

2) Yes, it does.

3) Correct CBSA and I-94 both record travel entries in EST. I had a bunch of them entered as following day while crossing border between 9 - 12 PM PST. I-94 doesn't come with datetime stamp but CBSA records do clearly state datetime and timezone. If a question is asked then you just respond to it showing that you've travelled the border in PST and the day should be counted in PST. I had this same question raised during my supplementary evidence where IRCC felt I was short of few days which I responded back to them with same explanation and was fine.

Hope this helps!!!

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Here's my experience:

1) When you Submit CBSA request for exits and entries what I've seen is depending on what proof of identity you are uploading such as PR, Passport for the most part the agent running this report is going to use them as references to pull the records. I've submitted several CBSA requests over past few years and every time the records I received were inconsistent. Although I haven't ever uploaded Nexus copy during attachment I do believe there has to be some slicer that these agents use to send the data out and for some reason there are few that always missed. On US side the I-94 site is much precise is what I felt. End of the day if it comes to presence check IRCC will put the burden on you to show the proof of dates that you think you are in Canada which might be missing on either of the reports. Showing an excel with entry and exits won't cut it out. I have been asked for CBSA or I-94 records during my Citizenship due to excess travel and was able to provide both and highlighted the days missed in CBSA records which were present on I-94 though.

2) Yes, it does.

3) Correct CBSA and I-94 both record travel entries in EST. I had a bunch of them entered as following day while crossing border between 9 - 12 PM PST. I-94 doesn't come with datetime stamp but CBSA records do clearly state datetime and timezone. If a question is asked then you just respond to it showing that you've travelled the border in PST and the day should be counted in PST. I had this same question raised during my supplementary evidence where IRCC felt I was short of few days which I responded back to them with same explanation and was fine.

Hope this helps!!!
So, if I entered US with my US passport and returned to Canada with my Canadian passport - the CBSA does not know how long I was out of Canada?

Feb 12, 2024
So, if I entered US with my US passport and returned to Canada with my Canadian passport - the CBSA does not know how long I was out of Canada?
AS far as I understand there is no I-94 for US Citizens or US permanent residents. You'd probably file FOIA on US side to get your entry and exits from US. On the CBSA side they do track all. What I meant earlier was the agents who run these reports doesn't always send entire data. I'm sure its in their system wouldn't take long to match irrespective of travel document.

matrivg2507

Oct 31, 2021
Here's my experience:

2) Yes, it does.

Hope this helps!!!
Indeed. That's really helpful. Thank you for the clarification!

Takita

May 12, 2021
One additional question, you had in your signature for nexus - Detroit Enrollment Center. Does it really matter which center? As all application goes online, correct me if I am wrong
I scheduled interview @ Detroit enrollment center after conditional approval.

Reactions: Ronak529

bnacanadaus

Feb 8, 2024
Hi- I am a daily commuter (Windsor-Detroit) and have already applied for canadian citizenship (AOR 1st of Jan 2024, Test and Background completed, LPP-In Progress). I am being sent on a work assignment (in Ohio) which will require me to stay there during the work week and drive back to Windsor for weekend. I am thinking to move to US while still keeping my house in Windsor before the oath comes. I am still planning to visit Windsor during weekends maybe once or twice a month as I have some family members here in Windsor.
I am thinking to convert Ontario driving license to US driving license.
Would it be advisable to do that? Will IRCC ever ask for ID proof between now and before I get Canadian Passport where I can just show Ontario health card instead of Canadian driving license?

ThankYou!