+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cyber Security options in Canada. 10 years gap. Previous study B.Tech IT.

nitih52600

Jan 26, 2019
Hello Experts,
As per above subject, which college/university is best to take admission in Cyber Security. I am looking for 2 years comprehensive program. 10 years study gap and last study was B.Tech IT. I found Loyalist college is giving diverse subjects. Share your thoughts.
Thanks in advance!

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
Hello Experts,
As per above subject, which college/university is best to take admission in Cyber Security. I am looking for 2 years comprehensive program. 10 years study gap and last study was B.Tech IT. I found Loyalist college is giving diverse subjects. Share your thoughts.
Thanks in advance!
Regarding which college / university has the best Cyber Security program is something you are going to have to research for yourself.

10 year study gap does not matter if you were working in that period. But if you were sitting at home and doing nothing, it will be an issue.

Your B.Tech academics would matter, but since you have 10 years of experience, more emphasis would be put on your work experience.

Finally, colleges have a high chance of VISA rejection and lower standard of studies. I would suggest going for an university.

Last edited:

nitih52600

Jan 26, 2019
Regarding which college / university has the best Cyber Security program is something you are going to have to research for yourself.

10 year study gap does not matter if you were working in that period. But if you were sitting at home and doing nothing, it will be an issue.

Your B.Tech academics would matter, but since you have 10 years of experience, more emphasis would be put on your work experience.

Finally, colleges have a high chance of VISA rejection and lower standard of studies. I would suggest going for an university.
Much thanks for insights. I assume Master program in Canada universities demand 65% and above. I dont have this much percentage in B.Tech. Also in cyber security options are very less in Canada Universities. In fact some colleges are giving perfect PG Program for 2years which I saw covers all the subject which I want to study.

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
Much thanks for insights. I assume Master program in Canada universities demand 65% and above. I dont have this much percentage in B.Tech. Also in cyber security options are very less in Canada Universities. In fact some colleges are giving perfect PG Program for 2years which I saw covers all the subject which I want to study.
Most demand over 60% from Indian students. There's a different criteria for each country.

I have 49.5% in Bachelors and 60% in Masters. And Canadian Universities put more emphasis on bachelor's score.
Yet, I have decided to go to an university as colleges have high VISA rejection rate, issues obtaining PGWP and then issues with employment due to poor reputation.

Rest is up to you.

binnareyn

Star Member
Jun 9, 2020
Apply to a University as well, one that does a program that matches your needs.
In a university, you have to choose your courses from one or more departments.
So, do look at the courses offered by other departments / associated business schools as well.
Some universities allow you to take classes at a neighbor university as well (eg. Quebec universities).

Some universities have professional masters programs too (,which should be better than colleges.)

But if you found the perfect program in a college, and talked to a few alumni about quality, then go ahead.

Reactions: nitih52600

nitih52600

Jan 26, 2019
Apply to a University as well, one that does a program that matches your needs.
In a university, you have to choose your courses from one or more departments.
So, do look at the courses offered by other departments / associated business schools as well.
Some universities allow you to take classes at a neighbor university as well (eg. Quebec universities).

Some universities have professional masters programs too (,which should be better than colleges.)

But if you found the perfect program in a college, and talked to a few alumni about quality, then go ahead.
Thank you first of all for reply. Yes, I have checked in one college and spoke to college Recruitment officer and few students. May be I will attach as a proof my communication while filing file to convince Visa officer.

nitih52600

Jan 26, 2019
In addition, what is the difference between PG Diploma and PG Program? My Program is PG Program in Cyber Security not PG Diploma.

nitih52600

Jan 26, 2019
Most demand over 60% from Indian students. There's a different criteria for each country.

I have 49.5% in Bachelors and 60% in Masters. And Canadian Universities put more emphasis on bachelor's score.
Yet, I have decided to go to an university as colleges have high VISA rejection rate, issues obtaining PGWP and then issues with employment due to poor reputation.

Rest is up to you.
Thanks. In which university you enrolled if you dont mind sharing here with us. Thank you.

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
Thanks. In which university you enrolled if you dont mind sharing here with us. Thank you.
I have yet to receive an admit (or reject) from any of the universities.

I basically applied for all the universities which offer MEng ECE and 2 years of PGWP, minus the one's which required a supervisor (because it's impossible to secure a supervisor with my academics, I tried).

McGill University
University of Waterloo
University of Alberta
University of Calgary
Concordia University
University of Ottawa
Simon Fraser University
Carleton University
University of Saskatchewan
Memorial University of Newfoundland

Why so many? Even though the rest of my profile is strong, I am dragged down by my poor academics, giving me a low chance of getting an admit.

It will be a few months before I receive an admit or reject response from any of them. Doesn't look like any of the universities have began looking at Fall 2021 applications.