+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CV/Resume: Legal Status of CoPR

BillyWescott

May 24, 2019
Hi guys,

I am updating my resume. I have CoPR but have not yet landed. So technically I am not a permanent resident.

How do you reflect that in your CV/resume? Do you just say you have a permanent resident status?

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
How you want to present your resume is entirely your own business.

If you choose to claim you are already a PR and a prospective employer in Canada wants to meet you face to face, you obviously can't travel to Canada given the current situation.

BillyWescott

May 24, 2019
How you want to present your resume is entirely your own business.

If you choose to claim you are already a PR and a prospective employer in Canada wants to meet you face to face, you obviously can't travel to Canada given the current situation.
That's not really helpful. If I'm asking the question it's precisely because I want to avoid any misleading situation.

What would you put if not PR?

I don't think anyone will understand the difference between PR and CoPR unless they are in the immigration business.

ryan1990

Star Member
Oct 27, 2018
Hi guys,

I am updating my resume. I have CoPR but have not yet landed. So technically I am not a permanent resident.

How do you reflect that in your CV/resume? Do you just say you have a permanent resident status?
You don't need to state your immigration status in your resume. That's just weird.

Just say you're a PR holder IF ASKED.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi guys,

You don't need to put your immigration status on a resume. You aren't a PR, so certainly don't put that on a resume. If an employer asks, you can explain that you will become a PR when you come to Canada.

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
You can certainly put down something like "PR application approved" in your resume. Which is 100% true and accurate because otherwise you won't be issued COPR. This makes it clearer and saves you, the recruiter, and the company the trouble of asking and answering about your immigration status, especially if you are applying for jobs from outside Canada. I clearly indicated on my resume that I'm a Canadian PR and the interviewer even said "you can work in Canada so that's great" when looking at my resume.

Don't know about Canada, but in the US it is very common for foreigners without permanent status to indicate on the resume their immigration status, or what status they would be eligible for. It helps a lot if the employer cares about visa sponsorship or its lack of.

BillyWescott

May 24, 2019
You can certainly put down something like "PR application approved" in your resume. Which is 100% true and accurate because otherwise you won't be issued COPR. This makes it clearer and saves you, the recruiter, and the company the trouble of asking and answering about your immigration status, especially if you are applying for jobs from outside Canada. I clearly indicated on my resume that I'm a Canadian PR and the interviewer even said "you can work in Canada so that's great" when looking at my resume.

Don't know about Canada, but in the US it is very common for foreigners without permanent status to indicate on the resume their immigration status, or what status they would be eligible for. It helps a lot if the employer cares about visa sponsorship or its lack of.
I agree with that.

It would be just weird to put a foreign phone number and my current occupation in a foreign country and yet not indicate what my legal status is in Canada.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
That's a good question. It's important to be accurate on your resume, so you can mention that you have a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) but haven't landed yet. You can specify it like "Pending Permanent Resident Status with CoPR." This shows potential employers that you're on your way to becoming a permanent resident.
No thank you! Never list your status/nationality on a resume. We've ATS systems that are configured to reject candidates who do so as processing any candidate with that info is a legal risk. What you are peddling is a very very poor advice.

Reactions: Lord_Tony