+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cut in the paycheque - CEC express entry

venkatesh jalubula

Star Member
Mar 10, 2016
Hi All,

I need your help.

I am working as a Retail store (sales) supervisor in a Dollar Store, which my boss recently took over few months ago.

Since the store is not doing very well (hopefully gets better very soon) some times he cuts my paycheque. ( I can understand his situation, he spent 450 k to buy the store and additional 100k for renovation) For e.g. In some months he paid me only for 80 hours instead of 160 hours per month.

I am afraid that this will effect my PR application when I apply Express entry through CEC.

While applying for PR, CEC class, Is it okay if I present 3 moths pay stub (I will ask him to pay next 3 months for 160 hrs with out fail) and offer letter while applying for PR in CEC category??

Your inputs are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Chef-de-Bureau

Star Member
Jul 26, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa (?)
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-06-2018
AOR Received.
02-06-2018
I think you have to declare your yearly / monthly salary (in the reference letter), and your T4 payslips as attachments.

These both could / will mention yearly, so I think you should be fine. I also don't think the actual pay is too much of an issue, since it's mostly focused on employment and not income.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html

As provided for in the CEC Document Checklist, principal applicants are requested to provide documentary evidence of their work experience in Canada through a combination of: a copy of their most recent work permit (unless they are work-permit exempt), copies of their most recent T4 tax information slips and Notice of Assessment (NOA) issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) or a sufficient combination of other supporting documentation, and employer letters of reference for all periods of qualifying work experience claimed in the application.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I am working as a Retail store (sales) supervisor in a Dollar Store, which my boss recently took over few months ago. Since the store is not doing very well (hopefully gets better very soon) some times he cuts my paycheque. ( I can understand his situation, he spent 450 k to buy the store and additional 100k for renovation) For e.g. In some months he paid me only for 80 hours instead of 160 hours per month.
So, you will only have proof of part-time work instead of full-time work. Yes, this will affect your eligibility. The discrepancies will come out in your documentation. If your employer states you worked full-time, he will be implicating himself in stealing from you. What he is doing is illegal.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/protected-rights.html

I am afraid that this will effect my PR application when I apply Express entry through CEC.
It probably will, in multiple ways. It sounds like you are allowing your employer to steal from you - that never ends well. If your employer is willing to abuse you in that way, what makes you think he will take care of you when it comes to PR? We've heard so many sad stories over the years... of workers putting up with abuse because they think it will lead to PR... and then they get screwed again. Please do yourself a favor and try to find a real job with a decent employer.

While applying for PR, CEC class, Is it okay if I present 3 moths pay stub (I will ask him to pay next 3 months for 160 hrs with out fail)
You need to provide your T4, which will reveal the shortage of pay. And IRCC has the right to ask for ALL paystubs.

and offer letter while applying for PR in CEC category??
?? Do you mean to have a valid job offer? Do you meet the other requirements? What type of work permit do you have?

Last edited:

Chef-de-Bureau

Star Member
Jul 26, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa (?)
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-06-2018
AOR Received.
02-06-2018
I think you have to declare your yearly / monthly salary (in the reference letter), and your T4 payslips as attachments.

These both could / will mention yearly, so I think you should be fine. I also don't think the actual pay is too much of an issue, since it's mostly focused on employment and not income.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html

As provided for in the CEC Document Checklist, principal applicants are requested to provide documentary evidence of their work experience in Canada through a combination of: a copy of their most recent work permit (unless they are work-permit exempt), copies of their most recent T4 tax information slips and Notice of Assessment (NOA) issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) or a sufficient combination of other supporting documentation, and employer letters of reference for all periods of qualifying work experience claimed in the application.
Nevermind this post, I think Jes_ON has it spot on.

venkatesh jalubula

Star Member
Mar 10, 2016
Thanks for your reply. I have one more question. What if some one couldn’t work for 15 days in a month as they are visiting back home and got paid only for 80 hr for that month. Will this would be a problem too??

Thanks

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thanks for your reply. I have one more question. What if some one couldn’t work for 15 days in a month as they are visiting back home and got paid only for 80 hr for that month. Will this would be a problem too??
It depends. If you were entitled to take 2 weeks vacation (per your letter of employment) then those two weeks of missing hours could be explained. If you took an unpaid leave of absence, that would also need to be explained and you would have to exclude those weeks from your work experience calculations.

If you claim to take vacation and it is not true, you would be risking a charge of misrepresentation, and getting banned from Canada.

venkatesh jalubula

Star Member
Mar 10, 2016
Thanks for clarification. I think it’s better to ditch my Canadian experience while applying. With 4 years back home experience as a research associate, CLB score of 9 and Masters degree in Canada. am sure I have enough points.

Appreciate your inputs.

Reactions: jes_ON