+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Customs deceleration for students

LukeZanten

Aug 3, 2018
Hi everyone!

I am going to be studying in Canada starting August 30th. I can’t wait to go back to school and move to such a beautiful country. I do have one question which has been on my mind lately. I know that people who come into Canada have to declare their funds when they’re carrying more than 10.000 Canadian dollars. Now, my parents will be funding my studies in Canada by sending me a fixed amount each month and at the beginning of each semester respectively. Do I have to declare more than 10.000 dollars when it’s money that I don’t actually have yet but will be receiving from abroad at a later point during my stay there? I’m sorta confused as I won’t actually have the money yet when I enter Canada but I will be getting it as my studies progress. I hope this makes sense to you guys!

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
No, you only need to declare the cash and cash equivalents you have on you when at the airport if it above the declarable amount.
Your bank transfers will be tracked by the bank/authorities so no need to declare those.

Make sure you declare any other declarable things google the list.