+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Custody questions at the interview

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
My son has lived with me since he was 4. His mother and I had a very amicable split and joint-custody documents were initially for him to live with her. However, because of circumstances, he and his sister came to live with me and he is now 16. (He goes back yearly to see his mom.)

We never bothered to change the custody arrangements. I never really had a need to and to be honest, was thrilled to have him living with me, so didn't want to push an official standing, by way of a change of custody in the courts, since it served no purpose at the time. It's never been an issue.

When we applied for NEXUS cards, I had a notorized letter from her giving consent for him to get the card. When we went to the interview, the officer asked for the custody documents, which I didn't have. Fortunately, the officer was able to call the mother and verify the letter.

When I applied for PR, I needed the notorized letter of consent. Nothing is requested regarding the citizenship application. I somewhat expected to receive a document request, seeing as it's only my son and myself applying for citizenship.

Can anyone shed some light on what may happen in the interview? I assume they would inquire about where the mother is and if she gives consent to his citizenship. I can have her send me a notorized letter asap to arrive before my test date, but don't want to go through the hassle if it's a non-issue.

Thanks in advance.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
My son has lived with me since he was 4. His mother and I had a very amicable split and joint-custody documents were initially for him to live with her. However, because of circumstances, he and his sister came to live with me and he is now 16. (He goes back yearly to see his mom.)

We never bothered to change the custody arrangements. I never really had a need to and to be honest, was thrilled to have him living with me, so didn't want to push an official standing, by way of a change of custody in the courts, since it served no purpose at the time. It's never been an issue.

When we applied for NEXUS cards, I had a notorized letter from her giving consent for him to get the card. When we went to the interview, the officer asked for the custody documents, which I didn't have. Fortunately, the officer was able to call the mother and verify the letter.

When I applied for PR, I needed the notorized letter of consent. Nothing is requested regarding the citizenship application. I somewhat expected to receive a document request, seeing as it's only my son and myself applying for citizenship.

Can anyone shed some light on what may happen in the interview? I assume they would inquire about where the mother is and if she gives consent to his citizenship. I can have her send me a notorized letter asap to arrive before my test date, but don't want to go through the hassle if it's a non-issue.

Thanks in advance.
From the link @Joshua1 provided, the following text should answer your question.

"Consent from the custodial parent(s) would be required if an application is submitted by a non-custodial parent. Additionally, IRCC will cancel a certificate of citizenship where it comes to the Department’s attention that a non-custodial parent refuses to forward a certificate of citizenship to the custodial parent(s)."

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012