+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Custody paper request for non accompanying dependent child

Bungali88

Aug 2, 2019
I sent all documentation concerning the medical refusal of my non accompanying dependent including conversation transcripts, an explanation with a background on my situation and also a notarized document surrendering my right to sponsor. The immigration officer has required that I provide proof that I don't have custody. I am from the UK and we don't have custody, we have parental responsibility which means fathers have a right to see their children but that doesn't mean the right will be honoured as the mother has the automatic responsibility if that makes sense. I have looked extensively online about how I can provide proof of a custody paper and from what I'm seeing the term 'custody' does not exist. Do you think I should send a letter to the immigration officer explaining this?

I have just under a month to provide this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I sent all documentation concerning the medical refusal of my non accompanying dependent including conversation transcripts, an explanation with a background on my situation and also a notarized document surrendering my right to sponsor. The immigration officer has required that I provide proof that I don't have custody. I am from the UK and we don't have custody, we have parental responsibility which means fathers have a right to see their children but that doesn't mean the right will be honoured as the mother has the automatic responsibility if that makes sense. I have looked extensively online about how I can provide proof of a custody paper and from what I'm seeing the term 'custody' does not exist. Do you think I should send a letter to the immigration officer explaining this?

I have just under a month to provide this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
You should probably talk to a lawyer in the UK about this. It involves UK family law, which is really not something many people here would know too much about.

A lawyer would be able to tell you whether UK law has the concept of custody, and if not, what the alternative is etc. A letter from a lawyer explaining all this will hold far more weight than one from you - it's a technical matter, not really something you can google easily.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Thanks!
As above, get a legal opinion letter and include it with all of the previous documentation you submitted.

karmadus

Dec 28, 2018
Nigeria
NOC Code......
0122 & 1212 & 1434 & 6551
AOR Received.
08-02-2019
IELTS Request
22-11-2018

Thanks!

Bungali88- what's the update on your application. I am in a similar situation. I don't have any custody document for my non-accompanying child. What document did you present to IRCC?