+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Custodianship Declaration (IMM5646) form for a minor who is just visiting

hmanso02

Star Member
Apr 27, 2014
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding a visitor visa application for a minor. I entered all the information in the online application and it has asked me to fill out the above mentioned form which is for minors studying in Canada. The minor I am am applying for is just visiting Canada alone. NOT studying. Is there a form for minors who will be travelling alone and not studying in Canada?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

hmanso02 said:
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding a visitor visa application for a minor. I entered all the information in the online application and it has asked me to fill out the above mentioned form which is for minors studying in Canada. The minor I am am applying for is just visiting Canada alone. NOT studying. Is there a form for minors who will be travelling alone and not studying in Canada?
You need the following"

If a minor child is travelling alone

A child who travels alone should have:

a copy of their birth certificate, and
a letter of authorization, in English or French if possible, and signed by both parents or by their legal guardian.

The above letter should give the parents' (or legal guardian's) address(es) and telephone number(s). It should also include the name, address and telephone number of the adult who will be looking after the child in Canada.

hmanso02

Star Member
Apr 27, 2014
Thank you for the response. So in the mycic checklist, I should just leave the IMM5646 form blank?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
hmanso02 said:
Thank you for the response. So in the mycic checklist, I should just leave the IMM5646 form blank?
Seems you didn't use the tool correctly. If used correctly the IMM5646 should not be displayed.

Try using it again.

Yraisi

Jan 15, 2015
Hi,

I have a question, I am filling the on line application for a visitor visa and I am including my son. I entered all the information in the online application and it has asked me to fill out the above mentioned form which is for minors studying in Canada. The minor I am applying for is just visiting Canada with me for two weeks. NOT studying. Is there a form for minors who will be travelling and not studying in Canada?

Thanks

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Yraisi said:
Hi,

I have a question, I am filling the on line application for a visitor visa and I am including my son. I entered all the information in the online application and it has asked me to fill out the above mentioned form which is for minors studying in Canada. The minor I am applying for is just visiting Canada with me for two weeks. NOT studying. Is there a form for minors who will be travelling and not studying in Canada?

Thanks
Unless there is something special about the country you are coming from you are most probably using the tool incorrectly.

Two IMM5257 should be in your application, one for you and one for your child.

If this is not the case then please double check your answers and try again.

steffani22

Jan 19, 2016
Hello, Im currently in the same situation. I was wondering what you did?
I'm helping some students from Mexico fill out their online application, and they are also being asked to fill out the same form, but they aren't studying in Canada they're just visiting. We are stuck in the process because of this situation. Thank you for your help.

AmyFong

Jun 14, 2017
Hello, I am also having the same problem. My daughter is traveling with me to Canada and she is also being asked to fill up the IMM5646 form, which should not be the case because she is NOT studying in Canada. She is just visiting. I have tried numerous time checking the answers and re-answering it correctly, especially the question on her purpose of traveling, I answered "Visit" and NOT STUDY. But the IMM5646 form still appears to be a required form to be filled. Is there a problem with the website?
Does anyone who has this problem before found a solution to it?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hello, I am also having the same problem. My daughter is traveling with me to Canada and she is also being asked to fill up the IMM5646 form, which should not be the case because she is NOT studying in Canada. She is just visiting. I have tried numerous time checking the answers and re-answering it correctly, especially the question on her purpose of traveling, I answered "Visit" and NOT STUDY. But the IMM5646 form still appears to be a required form to be filled. Is there a problem with the website?
Does anyone who has this problem before found a solution to it?
You must answer 'Yes' to this Question
Is your family member currently, or will they be, living in Canada with a parent or legal guardian for their entire stay?

IMM5646 will then no longer appear in the Document List

AmyFong

Jun 14, 2017
Thank you so much!!! The form no longer appear after I answered "yes" to that question. Thanks a million!!

Is your family member currently, or will they be, living in Canada with a parent or legal guardian for their entire stay?

IMM5646 will then no longer appear in the Document List[/QUOT

jonelb

Apr 15, 2018

IMM5646 will then no longer appear in the Document List
Where exactly can I see that? It seems I'm not being prompted to answer that question. BTW I am applying from Philippines, in case my situation is country-specific.

The help button also suggest that we can just attach a notarized letter instead of filing IMM5646 (maybe an Affidavit of Consent and Support similar to what we have done for our Japan and Korea Visa)

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Where exactly can I see that? It seems I'm not being prompted to answer that question. BTW I am applying from Philippines, in case my situation is country-specific.
You'll find those selections as you complete the online questionnaire:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/come-canada-tool.html

The help button also suggest that we can just attach a notarized letter instead of filing IMM5646 (maybe an Affidavit of Consent and Support similar to what we have done for our Japan and Korea Visa)
You wouldn't need to fill IMM 5746 if your child is accompanying you as a short-stay visitor.

You would need a consent/authorization letter from the non-accompanying parent that would also state his/her 24/7 contact information + a copy of his/her passport

Enice

Aug 16, 2018
Hi,

I have a question on this IMM 5646, I am inviting my nephew who is a minor in the Philippines to visit me here in Canada we will be travelling together from Philippines to Canada and he will be staying with me here in Canada to visit only. Do I still need to fill up this IMM 5646? I am stuck, because of this form. Please help.. thanks

Last edited:

yarayounan

Feb 15, 2022
Hello,

Hello! I cannot see this question either, and the IMM5646 is still appearing even though it's a tourist visa!! did you manage to find a solution?? please help!

Oct 7, 2023
Dear Madame/Sir,
I am applying visitor visa for my family online.

I filled all forms and fields and uploaded all necessary documents.

The only form is CUSTODIANSHIP DECLARATION (IMM5646) explained when used minor age dependent less than 17 years old travel alone and not accompanying with parents.

My question is that when the parents are accompanying children, is it necessary to upload "custodian-parent.pdf" form for each child? In the online upload page, uploading this form is mandatory since written "(required)".

My children are not going to school in Canada and I am wondering I must fill-in the form IMM5646 or not.
Please advise.

Regards,
NEJAM