+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Currently on WHP - Over 31 years old from Australia.

mbstewart

Jun 12, 2014
Hi guys,

So if you're currently on a WHP and you'll be turning 32 when it is set to expire, are you able to reapply for a second go as a current temporary resident, or commit to applying for PR from the start? I thought I read that you get 2 goes, so 4 years all up, and at that time then you should've decided wether you want to stay in Canada (PR) or head back to country of origin.

I just can't find where i think i read it again.....

thanks guys.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your questions aren't entirely clear.

If you are over 31 years of age, then you cannot apply again for a working holiday visa. You must be under 31 at the time you apply. If you want to remain in Canada and work, your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA and then you will need to apply for a closed work permit. Securing an LMIA takes months. Start early.

I'm not sure what you mean by "commit to applying for PR fro the start". If you want to apply for PR and you also meet the criteria for applying for PR, then you can certainly submit an application.

mbstewart

Jun 12, 2014
Okay, ( it says currently in the subject line, i meant "will be"...i'm tired)

Being 31, I'm not sure if when the WHP is going to expire there is provision for renewing the WHP another time (regardless of age) or wether it entails a whole new application, and hence ruled out due to age for another WHP.

Applying for PR, I meant that once landed, should I apply for PR (hopefully through Express Entry perhaps) straight away if I wish to not get caught out with an expiring WHP and too old to get a new one?

Would like to live in Alberta permanently, and i'm second guessing if within the 2 years of the WHP i'll have sufficient time to obtain PR. As a registered nurse (with current alberta registration) with 2 years canadian experience already and 8 years australian experience - I figure that makes for a good PR application.

I hope that was... less confusing.
Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
- There is no provision for renewing your WHP. It will be considered as a new application and if you are over 31, you will no longer qualify.
- Yes, you can certainly apply for Express Entry as soon as you arrive if you qualify (the full application criteria isn't available just yet).
- I would ask your third question in the Provincial Nomination section of this forum since it's specific to the Alberta PNP program.