+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Currently on IEC, Applying for Sponsored PR and OWP, Do I have to apply to stay?

Aus_rebecca12

Aug 4, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I would really appreciated some help with questions that I have regarding my Inland PR application and being able to stay in Canada. I am an Australian Citizen seeking PR through my common-law who is a Canadian Citizen. I am currently on IEC work permit which is due to expire May 8, 2017 - - I am aware that i will be unable to work until after this date until my OWP is accepted however is it true that i can stay on implied status as a visitor? if that is correct, do i have to do anything through CIC or is implied visitor status automatic.

I'm very confused on this submit and want to do everything right for my application.

Thanks in advance!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why are you submitting an Inland application?!?! You should seriously consider submitting an Outland application, which you can do even from within Canada. I know...it's confusing, but you will probably complete the entire process in a matter of months (some Aussies have landed in as few as 4 months). If you still insist on the Inland application, read on.

That's correct; submitting the OWP before your IEC expires will give you implied status as a visitor.

Here's the potential caveat:
If your OWP, or Inland application, is returned because an error on your part, such as incomplete payment (which is pretty common), missing or outdated form(s), missing signature(s), etc., you would risk the Implied Status.

The full amount for the OWP is $255 ($155 for the OWP + $100 for the `Holder' fee/cash grab).

But...APPLY OUTLAND!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Aus_rebecca12 said:
Hi Everyone,

I would really appreciated some help with questions that I have regarding my Inland PR application and being able to stay in Canada. I am an Australian Citizen seeking PR through my common-law who is a Canadian Citizen. I am currently on IEC work permit which is due to expire May 8, 2017 - - I am aware that i will be unable to work until after this date until my OWP is accepted however is it true that i can stay on implied status as a visitor? if that is correct, do i have to do anything through CIC or is implied visitor status automatic.

I'm very confused on this submit and want to do everything right for my application.

Thanks in advance!
If you are already common-law now, then apply OUTLAND immediately and your PR will almost certainly be approved well before your IEC expires next year. Do not even consider INLAND.

Aus_rebecca12

Aug 4, 2016
I really didn't even consider an Outland application as I plan on being in Canada until at least May, 2017.

How do i go about completing an outland application? I really appreciate your help with this, it's been so stressful and all I hope to do is not get separated from my partner. I am just waiting to get my medical done then i will be ready to apply. Are all the forms the same for an outland application? And is it okay to list my Canadian address on the applications if applying for Outland?

Looking forward to your responses!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here's the link for the Outland package:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

Be sure to list your address in Canada as your current mailing address.

Remember that you have to prove/convince CIC of two separate parts of your relationship:

1. That you are in a genuine, loving relationship with your partner (important).

2. That you have evidence that you have cohabited under the same roof for at least 365 days (perhaps even more important).

Good luck!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Aus_rebecca12 said:
I really didn't even consider an Outland application as I plan on being in Canada until at least May, 2017.

How do i go about completing an outland application? I really appreciate your help with this, it's been so stressful and all I hope to do is not get separated from my partner. I am just waiting to get my medical done then i will be ready to apply. Are all the forms the same for an outland application? And is it okay to list my Canadian address on the applications if applying for Outland?

Looking forward to your responses!
As the others have said, definitely outland! There is no issue being in Canada while an outland app processes and there is no need to give a foreign address anywhere in the app. Use your Canadian address for everything.

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
DM 10/02/2016 Passport Copy Request 11/02/2016
LANDED..........
03/03/2016
You should definitely apply outland, we applied common law in Aug last year and I landed as a PR on March 3rd. It took exactly 7 months from the day we mailed everything to the day I landed and I think our app was one of the slower ones. Sydney is a fast VO :)

Aus_rebecca12

Aug 4, 2016
It seems unanimous that outland is the best option. I am just wondering what you all mean by 'landing as a pr'? I am already here in Canada so I would not be landing here during that time.. would i have to leave Canada during this process?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Aus_rebecca12 said:
It seems unanimous that outland is the best option. I am just wondering what you all mean by 'landing as a pr'? I am already here in Canada so I would not be landing here during that time.. would i have to leave Canada during this process?
You can make an appointment to land at a CIC office within Canada (can take weeks or months to happen), land at the airport if you are coming on a flight from outside Canada or flagpole at the Canada-US border.