+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Currently on H1B and traveling to Canada from the US after receiving CoPR

rachel14

Mar 13, 2018
Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help answer my questions:
  • I am currently on an H1B and have a visa (US) stamp on my passport that is valid till end of Sept 2018. I plan to visit Canada for a short period just to activate my PR sometime around end of March. I was told by someone that I could fly to Canada but should drive back to the US. I'm not sure about the reasoning behind this but wondering if this is necessary? Would it be any different if I just fly back to the US?
  • Would there be any issues entering the US by car or air? I don't believe it should be a problem since my H1 visa is valid till Sept 2018 but I haven't traveled internationally since I've been on H1...so I'm a bit nervous.
Thanks!

dora115

Star Member
Jul 7, 2017
Hi,
  • I am currently on an H1B and have a visa (US) stamp on my passport that is valid till end of Sept 2018. I plan to visit Canada for a short period just to activate my PR sometime around end of March. I was told by someone that I could fly to Canada but should drive back to the US. I'm not sure about the reasoning behind this but wondering if this is necessary? Would it be any different if I just fly back to the US?
  • Would there be any issues entering the US by car or air? I don't believe it should be a problem since my H1 visa is valid till Sept 2018 but I haven't traveled internationally since I've been on H1...so I'm a bit nervous.
Thanks!
It should be fine, you have valid unexpired stamp on your passport. You can travel any way you like.

curious_kid

Apr 1, 2018
Hi,
Thanks!
Hi

Let us know your experience. we are in the same boat. Where are you planning to get your PR cards? Is it ok to get them delivered at a friends/relatives place and they can courier to us in the US?

rachel14

Mar 13, 2018
Hey,
I traveled to Toronto over the long weekend, it went very well. The Canadian immigration officer happened to be from my hometown and we had a long friendly conversation. I gave a friend's address for my PR card and it takes about 2-3 months to come in. According to the officer I need my PR card to fly back into Canada, however the stamped copy of the CoPR is okay to show if I drive to Canada.
I also got my SIN number right after I cleared immigration - I didn't know this was even something I could get at the airport right after landing.
I did fly back (instead of driving) and I didn't know this but I had to clear US customs in Canada as well (so allow a lot of time at the airport as the lines are long, I almost missed my flight!). The officer just asked me what I do in the US.

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
Hey,
I traveled to Toronto over the long weekend, it went very well. The Canadian immigration officer happened to be from my hometown and we had a long friendly conversation. I gave a friend's address for my PR card and it takes about 2-3 months to come in. According to the officer I need my PR card to fly back into Canada, however the stamped copy of the CoPR is okay to show if I drive to Canada.
I also got my SIN number right after I cleared immigration - I didn't know this was even something I could get at the airport right after landing.
I did fly back (instead of driving) and I didn't know this but I had to clear US customs in Canada as well (so allow a lot of time at the airport as the lines are long, I almost missed my flight!). The officer just asked me what I do in the US.
Thanks for sharing. I'm planning to visit just for a weekend. How did you handle bank and proof of funds? Did you manage to open one from USA or did you have to open one while over there?

rachel14

Mar 13, 2018
Thanks for sharing. I'm planning to visit just for a weekend. How did you handle bank and proof of funds? Did you manage to open one from USA or did you have to open one while over there?
I took copies of my US bank account statements just in case I was asked to provide them at immigration but I didn't have to show any documentation. I didn't open a bank account in Canada during this trip.

Reactions: Samoinp