+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Currently on H1 and still insecure about the future.Please guide me..

Diabolic76

Oct 19, 2017
Current Situation

- On H1 extension. -Until 2020
- GC process has just started i.e. June 2017
- Job is going well. Reason for considering PR - Express entry is security for the future. But many questions linger..

Questions..

1) What will happen to the GC process once I get my PR? What are the next steps?

2) Do I stand to lose my H1 status?

3) What will be the change in visa status once I get my invitation to PR?

4) Can I continue my current job? What should I tell HR?

5) Where in Canada should I plan to settle down? And why? Toronto or someplace else?

6) What is the TRUE cost of express entry PR application excluding legal fees?

Many more, but clarity on these would be really helpful. Please guide me.Thanks!

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
1) You can retain your priority date alone if you quit the sponsored employer. If applying through new company in future, you get to use that date.
2) Yes, if you quit the sponsored employer. If some other employer sponsors in future, you can get it back.
3) Getting Canadian PR doesn't mean anything to US status.
4) Same as answer 3.
5) Toronto is where most settle
6) $940 CAD application cost + $230 USD for IELTS + $180 USD for ECA + $400 USD for medicals + $18 for FBI PCC + $25 - $40 for Indian PCC + flight costs around $300 - $700 based on where you live in US do landing. If you can drive, you won't incur this. + ~$200 mailing costs (sending pp to stamping to Canada, submitting FBI application/India PCC etc.

Reactions: vpkasbek

canadianrockies84

Jun 23, 2017
Current Situation

- Job is going well. Reason for considering PR - Express entry is security for the future. But many questions linger..

Questions..

1) What will happen to the GC process once I get my PR? What are the next steps?

5) Where in Canada should I plan to settle down? And why? Toronto or someplace else?

Many more, but clarity on these would be really helpful. Please guide me.Thanks!

I am on same boat as yours. My priority date is Jan 2016(EB2 India). As my I140 approval has passed 180 calendar days, it cannot be revoked. We can use the same priority date if we struggle to get a foothold in Canada and want to go back to US.

lankyfellow

Jul 15, 2017
1) You can retain your priority date alone if you quit the sponsored employer. If applying through new company in future, you get to use that date.
DEEPCUR, Specifically for this 1st point -- Would you know for how long can I keep my priority date ? Is it as simple as whenever I next apply for an H1-B ?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
DEEPCUR, Specifically for this 1st point -- Would you know for how long can I keep my priority date ? Is it as simple as whenever I next apply for an H1-B ?
You get to keep it forever. But if it gets current by any chance, and if there is no retrogression, you should file i485 within one year from the day it became current. Otherwise you'd lose it

Diabolic76

Oct 19, 2017
2) Yes, if you quit the sponsored employer. If some other employer sponsors in future, you can get it back. - I would like to keep my current job and keep my GC application going as well. Is that possible?
3) Getting Canadian PR doesn't mean anything to US status. - Can I get my PR and live in the US? If so - will it be on H1 or some other visa status? Also, what happens once I get my I140 through GC?
4) Same as answer 3.
5) Toronto is where most settle
6) $940 CAD application cost + $230 USD for IELTS + $180 USD for ECA + $400 USD for medicals + $18 for FBI PCC + $25 - $40 for Indian PCC + flight costs around $300 - $700 based on where you live in US do landing. If you can drive, you won't incur this. + ~$200 mailing costs (sending pp to stamping to Canada, submitting FBI application/India PCC etc.
- Legal fees is $1900 for application and $1400 is fees to facilitate paying landing fees, etc. Is it worth it or can I do it myself?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
- Legal fees is $1900 for application and $1400 is fees to facilitate paying landing fees, etc. Is it worth it or can I do it myself?
That's ridiculous amount of money. Totally waste. Do it yourself. Express entry section of this forum has answer to every question that you have. It's a very straight forward process and many of them have done it by themselves. No need of any agent or attorney

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Canadian pr application has zero relevance to your US green card or h1 status or i140. You should stop linking both and having any questions around that. You'll continue to be on H1 status even after PR.

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
You get to keep it forever. But if it gets current by any chance, and if there is no retrogression, you should file i485 within one year from the day it became current. Otherwise you'd lose it
Do you have a link for this? What if the PD is based on an i140 by an old employer? I cant find anything which says you lose PD if you dont file i485 within a year.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Do you have a link for this? What if the PD is based on an i140 by an old employer? I cant find anything which says you lose PD if you dont file i485 within a year.
You have one year after your priority date becomes current in the “Application Final Action Dates” chart to pursue your visa or green card. If you do not, the government assumes you have abandoned it; and will give your visa to the next person in line.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/fiance-marriage-visa-book/chapter8-4.html

I have read this in USCIS website too, but not able to get the link from mobile. Nolo is as good as you USCIS, as it's considered to be legal bible. So you could count on it.

It doesn't matter if it's from old employer. It's your date to keep. If you file new petition from new employer or file 485 with original employer within one year of the date becoming current, you get to keep the date. Otherwise it'd be a new date.

The only spot you don't want yourself is your Canadian citizenship application submission and priority date becoming current in same year or date becoming current on the juncture of you meeting citizenship requirements.

If they know that you have green card during Canadian citizenship interview, they'll ask you to give it up. You probably might get in to worst dialemma of your life in such a situation. ;)

Reactions: fr72

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
You have one year after your priority date becomes current in the “Application Final Action Dates” chart to pursue your visa or green card. If you do not, the government assumes you have abandoned it; and will give your visa to the next person in line.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/fiance-marriage-visa-book/chapter8-4.html

I have read this in USCIS website too, but not able to get the link from mobile. Nolo is as good as you USCIS, as it's considered to be legal bible. So you could count on it.

It doesn't matter if it's from old employer. It's your date to keep. If you file new petition from new employer or file 485 with original employer within one year of the date becoming current, you get to keep the date. Otherwise it'd be a new date.

The only spot you don't want yourself is your Canadian citizenship application submission and priority date becoming current in same year or date becoming current on the juncture of you meeting citizenship requirements.

If they know that you have green card during Canadian citizenship interview, they'll ask you to give it up. You probably might get in to worst dialemma of your life in such a situation. ;)

Any idea what pursue means? i485? What if i am with a new employer, my date becomes current and my PERM isnt done within 1 yr? Im screwed?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Any idea what pursue means? i485? What if i am with a new employer, my date becomes current and my PERM isnt done within 1 yr? Im screwed?
Yes pursue means file i485. That's how you actually claim your green card.

Yes, if you cannot get it done in one year, you cannot get the old priority date. You'll end up getting new priority date.

What is your priority date?

Last edited:

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
Yes pursue means file i485. That's how you actually claim your green card.

Yes, if you cannot get it done in one year, you cannot get the old priority date. You'll end up getting new priority date.

What is your priority date?
Jan 2014. So I dont expect it to be current before 2025 unless there is a change in law. And if there is a change in law, I guess a new PD wont hurt as bad.

Wont plan my life around green card anyway, a CAD passport is good enough!

usa2canMove

Oct 29, 2017
Current Situation

Questions..

Current Situation

Questions..

With H1B extensions also now being considered as a fresh application, I would definitely not recommend staying around with a priority date of Jun 2017. It will take you at-least 20 years with current predictions. If the economy tanks, which could happen anytime, you will finding it more and more difficult to stay around IMHO.

Canada currently is accepting lot of immigrants but a change in leadership there could also change their policy. So it is best you start considering Canada right away.

Reactions: Diabolic76