+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Currently living in the US with my American spouse, how can we get to Canada?

ByeTexas

Sep 10, 2017
I am a Canadian citizen, my wife is an American citizen, and we are both currently living in the US. I've found a lot of conflicting information so I'm trying to get some advice on the best way for us to get her PR status in Canada. Our primary goal is to not be separated, or to be separated for the least amount of time as we have a child together who is a dual citizen. We've already navigated the US immigration system and are finding Canada to be quite different. We're thinking we would like to apply with an inland application, but can she enter Canada with me legally to do so?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You would honestly be better off applying outland while you are still in the US. Processing times are pretty fast.

Reactions: ByeTexas
Sep 3, 2017
it's complicated. She can enter, but not for the intended purpose of lodging an inland PR application. They probably won't ask, it if they did, she could be refused.

Lots of people do this, but if you did, it would be recommended to stay in Canada until an open work permit is issued, at the least.

Do more research here until you understand, all the answers are here.

One strategy would be to apply for Nexus to avoid these questions at the border.

Sep 3, 2017
You would honestly be better off applying outland while you are still in the US. Processing times are pretty fast.
Outland used to be fast for US, but lots of applications are languishing for 8 months+ under the new "streamlined" process that used to take just 4 months pre-Dec2016.

Depends on their timelines... 12 months for Outland may not be pretty fast for them.

Protip for OP: medical exams for immigration are much cheaper in Canada, try to get it done in Toronto for ~CAD$250 instead of the US$400+ some are paying in US.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am a Canadian citizen, my wife is an American citizen, and we are both currently living in the US. I've found a lot of conflicting information so I'm trying to get some advice on the best way for us to get her PR status in Canada. Our primary goal is to not be separated, or to be separated for the least amount of time as we have a child together who is a dual citizen. We've already navigated the US immigration system and are finding Canada to be quite different. We're thinking we would like to apply with an inland application, but can she enter Canada with me legally to do so?
If you aren't planning on moving for a few months or more, I suggest you apply outland now while still in the US. You can then sort out everything you need to do to wrap up your lives in the US while the app processes. You can come to Canada while it processes, with your spouse entering as a visitor, or when the app is complete.

ByeTexas

Sep 10, 2017
That makes sense, the issue were kind of debating is my green card expires soon. So we either go before that does, or we have to renew it.