+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

currently in canada as visitor, a family wants to hire and sponsor as caregiver

carisse19

Oct 10, 2010
greetings to all of you.. may i request for opinions from members.. i am in canada as a visitor, i am allowed to stay for 5 more months. A family wants to hire me as a live in caregiver for their 8 yr old son. I have no caregiver training, I am a university teacher in the Philippines. I have read in the cic website that experience in a related occupation may be considered. Is teaching in the university a related occupation for the LCP? I have first aid and CPR certificate from canadian red cross, I have 3 children aged 5,4 and 1.5 yrs old. What do you think are my chances for work permit? (LMO has already been applied for by my prospective employer) Can I apply for work permit by mail to buffalo, new york without leaving canada? Is everybody required to appear for an interview there, assuming everything will go well with the wp application? I am in toronto. Thanks in advance for your replies..

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

carisse19 said:
greetings to all of you.. may i request for opinions from members.. i am in canada as a visitor, i am allowed to stay for 5 more months. A family wants to hire me as a live in caregiver for their 8 yr old son. I have no caregiver training, I am a university teacher in the Philippines. I have read in the cic website that experience in a related occupation may be considered. Is teaching in the university a related occupation for the LCP? I have first aid and CPR certificate from canadian red cross, I have 3 children aged 5,4 and 1.5 yrs old. What do you think are my chances for work permit? (LMO has already been applied for by my prospective employer) Can I apply for work permit by mail to buffalo, new york without leaving canada? Is everybody required to appear for an interview there, assuming everything will go well with the wp application? I am in toronto. Thanks in advance for your replies..
Chances are close to nil. No training and haven;t worked as a caregiver for 1 year in the past 3 years. I haven't heard of anyone receiving an initial LCP work permit without an interview.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree. Even primary school teachers are refused because it is not considered related experience. Nurses seem to be accepted more easily. Experience as a mother does not count either.

carisse19

Oct 10, 2010
PMM and LEON, I was hoping you guys will answer. Thank you for your honest asessment. Now I know I have to explore other options.. Thanks again, you are such a big help to many people..

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What you could do is enrol in a 6 month caregiver course. You are allowed to take a 6 month course on a visit visa so you could even do it in Canada. However, they do say the course should be finished before your TRV expires so that is obviously not going to happen if you start now and have 5 months left but you could apply for an extension when your status is about to expire and that will give you implied status for long enough to finish the course. Getting the LMO and work permit however, I can not tell you how long that takes. In some countries, it seems to take a couple of years to get a work permit for an LCP.

letch67

Jan 4, 2012
Re: tvr visa and planning to work as stay in care giver

I am currently visiting Canada and someone wants to hire me as a care giver for their 3 months old child. I been a pre school teacher for more than 10 yrs. here in the Philippines,now my question is: is there a possibility to work as a nanny or care giver in Canada for this child who is 3 months old?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can try but as funny as it sounds, although they ask for people who have education related to child care for the job, they generally do not accept school teachers as having relevant education while nurses are usually accepted.

shangi

Apr 12, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: tvr visa and planning to work as stay in care giver

letch67 said:
I am currently visiting Canada and someone wants to hire me as a care giver for their 3 months old child. I been a pre school teacher for more than 10 yrs. here in the Philippines,now my question is: is there a possibility to work as a nanny or care giver in Canada for this child who is 3 months old?
i am a pre-school teacher for 3 years and an elementary teacher for 6 yrs..i don't have a Caregiving course but luckily got accepted as one! just try....good luck!