+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Current Status as Visa denied.

Spontaneoussam

Jan 2, 2018
Hello,

My application for inland commonlaw sponsorship was denied today after a year of waiting :(

I came to Canada on an IEC in 2016, which has expired now, I applied for an OWP mid application last year which wasw granted and is valid until 2020. Due to application being denied am I still eligible to stay in Canada until my work expires, as I'm not technically on any visa. I've not been informed I need to leave, just a letter stating that my sponsor was ineligible. We are hoping to reapply inland.

Linda_s74

Aug 1, 2018
Hello,

My application for inland commonlaw sponsorship was denied today after a year of waiting :(

I came to Canada on an IEC in 2016, which has expired now, I applied for an OWP mid application last year which wasw granted and is valid until 2020. Due to application being denied am I still eligible to stay in Canada until my work expires, as I'm not technically on any visa. I've not been informed I need to leave, just a letter stating that my sponsor was ineligible. We are hoping to reapply inland.
Why was your sponsor not eligible? You need to rectify this before you apply again.

Spontaneoussam

Jan 2, 2018
We were short by a few days of cohabitation, looking back I think we only had 352 days of proof of cohabitation :/ something which we can now prove.

Does my WP mean I can stay until it expires?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We were short by a few days of cohabitation, looking back I think we only had 352 days of proof of cohabitation :/ something which we can now prove.

Yes - you can stay until the WP expires and your status in Canada will remain legal until then.

Unfortunately you do need a minimum of 365 days of continuous cohabitation to be considered common law. If you were a day or two short, you were correctly refused. Sounds like you should have more than enough days now - so just go ahead and reapply.

Reactions: Spontaneoussam

Jazzercise

Sep 25, 2018
Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
26-10-2018
AOR Received.
10-11-2018
Med's Request
07-01-2019
Med's Done....
17-01-2019

Ouch, that's too bad you were only a few days short. At least you have your WP and can re-submit PR the application while continuing on with your life in Canada. Best of luck with the new application!

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Thanks a million I've been worrying all morning that we would have to leave and apply outland :/
Open work permits granted as part of inland applications are not withdrawn/cancelled in case of sponsorship rejection (save for some extreme cases of the principal applicant being deported due to other reasons) so you have valid status and the ability to work in Canada til the permit expiry regardless, even if you chose to not reapply for sponsorship (like in cases of relationship/marriage breakdown).

Like @scylla said, you can reapply now that you satisfy the cohabitation requirement and you may continue working on your existing work permit in the meantime.

S2111S

Star Member
Nov 18, 2018
Open work permits granted as part of inland applications are not withdrawn/cancelled in case of sponsorship rejection (save for some extreme cases of the principal applicant being deported due to other reasons) so you have valid status and the ability to work in Canada til the permit expiry regardless, even if you chose to not reapply for sponsorship (like in cases of relationship/marriage breakdown).

Like @scylla said, you can reapply now that you satisfy the cohabitation requirement and you may continue working on your existing work permit in the meantime.

And will the Valid OWP allow one to travel outside Canada and enter Canada again till the OWP datebis valid ?

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
And will the Valid OWP allow one to travel outside Canada and enter Canada again till the OWP datebis valid ?
Work permits are not entry documents (it says so at the bottom of your work permit, if you take a look). In order to enter Canada, you need either a valid visitor visa or, if you're visa exempt, a valid ETA.

S2111S

Star Member
Nov 18, 2018
Work permits are not entry documents (it says so at the bottom of your work permit, if you take a look). In order to enter Canada, you need either a valid visitor visa or, if you're visa exempt, a valid ETA.
Thank you for the clarification np08