+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Current citizen, changing passport details

Zamboanga

Apr 18, 2018
i was born in turkey and my passport says my country of birth is Iraq. My parents convinced me to do this when I was younger because turkey has mandatory military service and they were worried this would be an issue if I ever visited or something.

My issue is that my records of landing ( I came here as a refugee in 1994, currently a citizen) say I was born in turkey ( correct) my passport says I am born in Iraq (incorrect)

I would like to fix my passport to have correct birthplace, can someone please advise on the best / safest option to do this?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
i was born in turkey and my passport says my country of birth is Iraq. My parents convinced me to do this when I was younger because turkey has mandatory military service and they were worried this would be an issue if I ever visited or something.

My issue is that my records of landing ( I came here as a refugee in 1994, currently a citizen) say I was born in turkey ( correct) my passport says I am born in Iraq (incorrect)

I would like to fix my passport to have correct birthplace, can someone please advise on the best / safest option to do this?
To clarify: until you applied for your Canadian passport, you always reported your country of birth correctly right? So even in your citizenship application it says turkey right?

I am asking because if anywhere but on your passport application you listed your country of birth incorrectly, you must talk to a lawyer. There has been a recent case in the media where a long time citizen lost their citizenship due to a country of birth misrepresentation.

If you "only" lied on your passport application, things are less serious but still you should talk to a lawyer. Lying on a passport application is still a big deal. This can be rectified but you should do every step with prudence.

What I am mostly surprised about is that they didn't catch your lie when you applied for the passport.

Zamboanga

Apr 18, 2018
To clarify: until you applied for your Canadian passport, you always reported your country of birth correctly right? So even in your citizenship application it says turkey right?
Correct. The only document that has the incorrect information is my passport.

I am asking because if anywhere but on your passport application you listed your country of birth incorrectly, you must talk to a lawyer. There has been a recent case in the media where a long time citizen lost their citizenship due to a country of birth misrepresentation.

If you "only" lied on your passport application, things are less serious but still you should talk to a lawyer. Lying on a passport application is still a big deal. This can be rectified but you should do every step with prudence.

What I am mostly surprised about is that they didn't catch your lie when you applied for the passport.
It surprised me too. I will look into talking to a lawyer. Thank you for your help.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Correct. The only document that has the incorrect information is my passport.

It surprised me too. I will look into talking to a lawyer. Thank you for your help.
That's good news indeed. Making an incorrect statement only on your passport application means you did not misrepresent anything in your applications for immigration and citizenship. That is the most important part. Because only misrepresentation in your PR application or your citizenship application could lead to revocation.

So while it might be a bit of a headache to figure that part out with your passport, your status as a Canadian citizen is not in jeopardy.

This can definitely be sorted out, just make sure you do this thoroughly. Good luck!